Languages, accents, sounds....

Started by Spoon, June 05, 2005, 07:23:37 PM

I'm curious after reading the anachronism thread about everyone's perception of in-game languages and accents.

What do you think they sound like? I mean, it'd be great if they sounded COMPLETELY origional, but my brain doesn't work like that. Instead, I steal accents from the real world, like I guess most people would.

Anyway, the only example I can think of at the moment is, for some reason, 'rinthi accented sirihish ALWAYS comes out in my head sounding like Oliver-Twist style, "Alright guvna'.." cockney.

Thoughts?

Tuluk nobility and "important" people: slightly cropped "english" accent, but nothing overt. Sort of like the accent a shakespearean actor would use, without the shakespearean lingo.

Allanak nobility and "important" people: Almost Bostonian, but not quite. The whole clenched-teeth "Haahvaahd Yahd" thing, with more subtlety.

Warrens: Something similar to cockney.

Rinth: More like Brooklyn.

Commoners of each city: nothing comes to mind.

Anyali: a gutteral slavic/russian/swedish kinda thing.

Other tribal human types (including the Tan Muark): definitely romanian accent, with the Muark's being the most pronounced.

Desert elves: varies, but all including some kind of hissing at one point or another :)

I always think of southerners as having a drawl.

*ba-dum-ching!*

Edit: With all the pops, clicks, and whistles that is part of the Anyali language, it would be more like an African bush tribe, or the Aborigines.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

All I know is, I finally heard a gypsy accent, and I am convinced that it is the sort of thing that would be used in Zalanthan movies to make female audience members swoon. It sounded cool.
 hate everything. No really.

Oh dear, seems we have another thread about language. I made the same mistake, so don't worry. The search tool helps alot though, for future reference.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13786&highlight=language+accent
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain