New to the world...

Started by mattrious, May 16, 2005, 06:23:05 PM

I am new to Armageddon, and first of all I just wanted to say hello to everyone. From the documentation I've read thus far, it looks like a fantastic MUD! The only pending question I really have thus far is:

Is there an IC/In Game mail system or message system etc? I would like my char. to get caught up as well as possible on IC events and what not - before venturing out too far into the world. If there is no system etc in place, would the best advice be to just go out and talk to PC's, and NPCS etc? Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Matt.

In most taverns, you'll find a bulletin board. You need to remember it's a "virtual" board - meaning, your -character- isn't reading it, so don't talk about "Oh I read on the board yesterday..." or you'll get killed by the soldiers because they'll assume you can read - which is a bad thing :)

To deal with the board:

read board
read 7
read 9
etc. etc.

you can also "look" at the board, and typing "help editor" I believe will explain how to post on it.

Also, the messages posted have real life dates on them so that you know about how long it's been up there and if it's fairly current.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Thank you for the replies, the help is greatly appreciated.

'HELP BOARD' should do it.  :wink:
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Hey, you could even find an IC excuse to be behind on times.. why not just ask another player? Most of us enjoy interaction and will be somewhat civil.  :twisted:
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Quote'HELP BOARD' should do it.

Got a little excited when I was posting, did not realize I was on the improper board. I appreciate you pointing out the error of my ways.

Matt.

QuoteHey, you could even find an IC excuse to be behind on times..

I think that's great advice. I think everyone should give their first character(s) a reason to be a little out of the loop, so when they say something or do something that seems silly to someone who knows the game world really well, they don't feel like they've broken character despite themselves. Just my experience, though...
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Welcome buddy,

Here is a list of helpers

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.html

Reach them via email, one of the messengers they use, PMs, and load them with tons of questions to get yourself better for the game.

See you in game!
some of my posts are serious stuff

Are all of the helpers still active? I noticed the page has not been updated in quite some time, and really do not want to bother someone who does not play the game anymore. If any of you lovely helpers frequent this forum, and still play I would love it if you could let me know so I could bother you - instead of someone who no longer plays.

Matt.

I'm not a helper, but you can reach me on AIM or MSN.  I believe the contacts to it are on my profile, which you can reach by clicking on my name.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Feel free to add my MSN, or send me an email if you need help too.
your mother is an elf.

Another helpful hint for new players to the game is the 'talk' option.

Various NPCs can give you helpful, interesting and sometimes vital pieces of information.

Try approaching a bartender npc and use the option
(ie talk bartender topics OR talk bartender rumors)

There are npcs scattered throughout the world with talk topics on them. Your local shopkeeper might feel inclined to expand upon just what the herb he is selling does, for instance.

- Adhira -
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Please, contact a helper.  The list of helpers are the ones who have been approved and trusted by the staff to help newbies and others who have questions about things.  If you don't have luck contacting one on the list, try another.  Someone is bound to get back to you.

Edited to add:  People, if you REALLY want to help those newbies, get in touch with the staff about becoming an official helper.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

The helper page is actually updated pretty often, if you find someone is unreachable please let us know at mud@armageddon.org. I just all too often forget to change the "Last updated by" part of the page when I make a change. This is another page I'd like to update to use dynamic content from a database to keep it even more accurate.

Thanks for all the information, and replies. All the helpers have been very helpful thus far! Thanks again! It's awesome to be here on Armageddon, the mud is fantastic.  :P

Quote from: "mattrious"It's awesome to be here on Armageddon, the mud is fantastic.  :P

When I first found Armageddon, I had the same feelings... Two years has passed and I still feel the same way. I hope you like the game and don't give up after your beloved PCs keep dying in thousand horrible ways :). Plus, after your first long-lived PC dies, you will have some bad feelings but that is just a temporary thing. Have a short break and create another one.

PS: It is always good to have a ready second character while you are playing one.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

Just from playing the few hours yesterday, and today - I've already thought up of about ten or so more different plot, and ideas for my next endeavour. Once again, all the friendly advice and information is truly appreciated. I am lucky to of found such a rich role-playing enviroment like the world of Zalanthis.

Matt.

^^^^^^^^^^

Guess it helps if I log in.  :oops:

Matt.

Quote from: "mattrious"^^^^^^^^^^

Guess it helps if I log in.  :oops:

Matt.

*patpats*  We all do that from time to time.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "mattrious"Are all of the helpers still active? I noticed the page has not been updated in quite some time, and really do not want to bother someone who does not play the game anymore. If any of you lovely helpers frequent this forum, and still play I would love it if you could let me know so I could bother you - instead of someone who no longer plays.

I'm always active.
Back from a long retirement