Take away the 'Look' echo.

Started by Anonymous, May 15, 2005, 08:20:20 PM

I agree with the motion towards getting rid of the look echo. I sometimes find that no matter what tag you throw onto the end, there will always be people who notice/take into account, even if they shouldn't. So, I think, if someone wants to let others know that they've been looked at, they can throw it in an emote--> It's not always obvious that you're being looked at, and no matter what, people can see others looking.

The figure in a pink and purple polkadotted-sandcloth cloak, glances up at you from the opposite corner of the room, his entire body hidden in shadows.

You would definetly get a negative reaction from this, because of the :hidden in shadow. This again is a trust issue.

I do think though, that if the look echo were removed it would be abused.
your mother is an elf.

Okay, how about this.

Look with no arguments yields no echo.

Look with arguments gives you the emoted look like normal.

So if you want to be looking at someone subtly or blatantly, then you can do it.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

I like it.
your mother is an elf.

I like look with echo.  *shrug*

QuoteOkay, how about this.

Look with no arguments yields no echo.

Look with arguments gives you the emoted look like normal.

So if you want to be looking at someone subtly or blatantly, then you can do it.

If you're looking at someone close enough to see all the same intricacies, I'd absolutely disagree with the removal of an echo. The glance idea doesn't sound too bad though.
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...

Raiders need the look echo.

We need a coded difference between staring and looking. With no coded difference, I am not going to 'trust' that the player won't run to the nearest town with my full bloody description. And let's hear nothing about such things as, "masks don't hide your features and cloaks don't cover you up," and alla that.

The look command gives too much info for there to be no echo, and not looking is unrealistic because you can not notice anything at all. The whole thing needs to be revamped, and until other projects are tackled, it's probably not at the top of the list of things to do.

Until then, you look, you die.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think the "look at me and die" situations here are pretty stupid and examples of poor roleplaying, honestly. If you're talking to someone and standing in front of them and they can see you, of COURSE they're looking at you. Whether they 'look figure' or not doesn't make much difference ICly.

I don't have a problem with the look echo.

Perhaps, Ale, but it's an understandable response from a raider who gets his sdesc, most of his ldesc and his shoe size posted on the nearest tavern board because someone "looked, logged, and lived."
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I'd have to agree that, in my opinion, telling someone: "Look at me or die" while you're raiding them, or being magickally blurry, or any other similar situation is sketchy, at best.

Again, though, I tend to be a bit of an idealist. I feel that raiders should open themselves up to the possibilities of their descriptions getting out, and maybe rely on that. Afterall: who's going to know who the Evil Dune Stalker is, without at least a halfway decent description?

Furthering that: if you're a raider, you should be ready to become a wanted criminal. Thats what you are. The role you are playing, when you become a raider (or an evil Sorcerer), is that of wanted criminal. Its one thing to try and minimize people recognizing you, but its another to be surprised and kill folks when they try and pass your description around. If you don't want to be hunted as a raider (or an Evil Sorcerer) don't raid, or be an Evil Sorcerer. If you raid, and actually have to pay a price for your raids (like...not being able to go back to a city-state, or getting your ass hunted by Templars), then yes it sucks, but thems the breaks. Welcome to Armageddon.

At the same time, I feel that victims need to be ready to not automagickally know everything about the raiders main description if they do catch a look at them. The responsibility goes both ways for all players to play in a -realistic- manner. "I got raided, but I didn't get a good look at him. All I saw were a couple of scars, and a bright orange bandana tied to his left ankle" is a perfectly acceptable report to make to your supperiors. If you get raided by the same guy again...come back with more details.

Again, it also comes down to this: if you are being raided (of Evil Sorcerered), you should be ready to be a victim. Be ready to get killed, or at least victimized somehow. If you didn't want to be raided, you shoudn't put yourself into a position that makes it easy for someone to do so (like being alone in the desert without friends). If the raider decides to kill you...it sucks, but thems the breaks. Welcome to Armageddon. Again.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, and don't nessecarially represent the thoughts of the Staff as a whole.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"if you're a raider, you should be ready to become a wanted criminal. Thats what you are.

Quote from: "Tlaloc"if you are being raided (of Evil Sorcerered), you should be ready to be a victim.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

"Look at me and die" is really, really bad show, in my opinion. It's a way of thinking about the code behind the game and not the role and situation you're playing out. You can't say "Well, some people will run to the guards with my full description even though I was wearing a cloak! That's bad roleplaying!", then turn around and start lowering the bar of your own rp to compensate.

Besides, there ARE things in main descriptions that you could see on someone wearing a facemask or cloak. Sure, you shouldn't go rattling off the arm tattoos of someone wearing a full body cloak and a veil, but chances are you could get a look at their eyes. You could know their general build, etc, etc, etc.... Of course, these are all subjective, but you get the idea.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Ehm.

Sorry, but 'look at me and die' happens in real life, as well.

You -can- see when someone's eyes are on you.  If they are, you may not want them to be, and so you take them off.  If the echo is removed, you -know- there are going to be people looking, while emoting keeping their gaze averted.  This is a trust issue.  As we've seen before in raiding and theft and whatever...trust is completely lacking on this mud, and will continue to be lacking while people take advantage of it.

As to the raiding.  Be ready to become a known criminal because that's what you are?  Yes.  But that's the idea of the 'look at me and die'.  Some people do not -want- to be -known- raiders.  If the guy has you subdued and in a lock...what if they're behind you?  Looking at them is going to be pretty damn obvious.  In these situations, not everyone is going to attach an emote to it, either.  The point is...precautions must be made with what we're given in the code to do it.

If my hood is up, and I'm keeping my face slightly averted...a description on me is going to be far sketchier than what you get with a 'look'.  But if we release them after a look, they have all that information.  And suddenly, despite precautions taken, you are hunted down and killed because you showed -trust- in the 'victim', who uses thinks and emotes to suddenly put themselves on top.  Face it...a lot of people play this game like a competition.  If they can win over you, they will.

I don't see -anything- wrong with the look echo to the point that it should be removed.  At all.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

As someone who changes/changed my equipment fairly regularly in order to disguise myself, I think a glance that just showed equipment without an echo would be nice. Based on that, you can decide whether to give the person a closer look.

The echo for look is fine, I guess, and it should stay in-place.

On a sidenote, I've ran into twinks matching main descriptions recently, and that pisses me off.

"I saw a cloaked half-elf!"
"How'd ya know he was a half-elf with the cowl up?"
"I saw the tattoos in his hands!"

:roll:

QuoteIf the echo is removed, you -know- there are going to be people looking, while emoting keeping their gaze averted. This is a trust issue. As we've seen before in raiding and theft and whatever...trust is completely lacking on this mud, and will continue to be lacking while people take advantage of it.

Exactly. If I was a prudent raider, I would probably wear a facewrap, a cowl, a different set of armor, and wear a different weapon.

I'd probably come into town to find people pointing fingers after matching main descs. That's a problem.

If you sneak up behind my character, subdue her, hold her with a knife to her throat and say "look at me and die", I won't look at you. I obviously have no way to do that logically without blatantly turning to look.

If you ride up to my face, while I'm happily walking through the desert picking flowers or something, draw a sword on me, and say "look at me and die", that's pretty stupid. If you're not invisible, I can SEE you talking to me, and just a glance should be able to give away noticable features (ie parts of your description) even if I DON'T stare.

If you don't want to be a known raider, then get creative with it. There are skills you can use to incapacitate someone and rob them blind without them ever seeing you. You want to just intimidate someone out of their stuff, standing in front of them and holding them at knifepoint? They're going to see you, because they have eyes.

Obviously, as a raider with a victim at knifepoint you have the upper hand and can kill them anyway if you feel like it. But if you start killing everyone you raid because you think they're getting too good a look at you, maybe it's time to change your technique so they don't?

QuoteIf you don't want to be a known raider, then get creative with it. There are skills you can use to incapacitate someone and rob them blind without them ever seeing you. You want to just intimidate someone out of their stuff, standing in front of them and holding them at knifepoint? They're going to see you, because they have eyes.

Okay.  To get creative...let's have a group of raiders that hide in the desert with high archery skills, and completely rip apart lone riders with arrows.  Guess how long it will be before archery being overpowered is the topic of discussion, rather than the look echo?

We want to intimidate people at knifepoint, with our face-wraps on, so we stand in front of them...and they look directly at us after we say keep your eyes averted.  We see it, because we are also watching -them-.  So we kill him.  Is the corpse's buddy going to look directly at us?  Intimidation at knifepoint.

As to seeing people ride up...this is why you generally get a look echo the moment you enter the same room as someone else in the desert.  Because you watch their approach.  However...from watching you ride up from a distance, with your facewrap on, hood up, and sand blowing around...you somehow get an exact physical description to tell people.  To prevent this...most raiders don't release their prey.

Once again...where is the -need- to remove the look echo?  Is this all to get rid of spam?  Or do you just want to be able to check out people's gear without them noticing?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I don't actually have a problem with the look echo, as I said earlier. My problem was more with "look at me and die", which seems to be derailing this thread, so I'll drop it.

Checking out people's gear without them (usually) noticing is called peek. :)

IC'ly my raided character may not have seen your face.  But he probably saw your weapons, seeing as how you were threatening him with them.  And maybe your boots or whatnot.  However, how come I get the impression that even if I "look raider staring down the raiders boots" I would get killed?

I determine WHAT, HOW, and WHEN my character saw things with the look command.  NOT YOU.  Sorry for the all caps, but I think it needs to be emphasized.  Me using the look command, and you coming back with "and he stared me right in the face" is just blatant abuse up there with power emoting of forcing RP on another character.  Especially when it is the very actions of the other character you are forcing.  I could be looking at just your boots and legs.  But I still need to use the look command if I can't guess the keywords of those items.

I'm not in favor of removing the echo, I'm just in favor of people thinking about things realistically.  I personally like seeing the echo, so that I can adjust the stupidometer when I see people look at every single person entering a tavern, or walking in and looking at every PC in the room they haven't met before or the infamous "I look at you, you look at me" routine.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Omigosh!  The raider had dusty boots!  This must be him!

Quote from: "Armaddict"However...from watching you ride up from a distance, with your facewrap on, hood up, and sand blowing around...you somehow get an exact physical description to tell people.
I agree that's fairly twinky. But so is "look at me and die" if I've already had a good chance to look at you (but you know codedly I haven't taken this chance yet, yet I've been facing you). A glance command would work wonders in such a situation (no, I won't know you from your dusty boots, but I might know your part of those Red Bandits who only wear red).

But what about in a tavern and you sit next to me, or next to someone I'm facing. I might notice you have really flakey skin (and you have a hood up or a face wrap to hide your sdesc), I might not notice you at all. I might notice your heaving bossom, I might not. Without looking at you, I won't know if I notice you. But because of the echo, I somehow automagically notice you, or I automagically don't notice you (despite the fact you've got long red hair and I've got a red-head fetish).

This is where player trust comes in John.

It's called 'discretion', as to what you notice and you don't.  Unfortunately, trust is a rare commodity these days.

I'm in total agreement with another command such as "glance" or whatever. I just think that it is very possible you could look at someone quickly, catch a quick glimpse of them, and turn away before they notice you. As others have said, just do look monkey with a quick glance. This...doesn't work in my opinion. It can be abused by both sides (the looker remembering the whole mdesc and equipment with only a "quick glance". The lookee noticing "codedly" that the looker looked at them, when they wouldn't have noticed at all.)
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Here's a quick question, does all looks have an echo? Like "Look self"?

'look self'         doesn't echo.
Veteran Newbie

As someone who for RP reasons tried to keep their appearence hidden the X-ray vision granted by look was annoying... I got hauled off while the OTHER  hooded fellow (sitting link dead at the bar for 2 RL days) was ignored...   Lucky for me I live in Albany and work for the Excuse of the Month club and have a ready supply ....  Some Job perks are well worth it.

Quote from: "Tlaloc"I'd have to agree that, in my opinion, telling someone: "Look at me or die" while you're raiding them, or being magickally blurry, or any other similar situation is sketchy, at best.

Again, though, I tend to be a bit of an idealist. I feel that raiders should open themselves up to the possibilities of their descriptions getting out, and maybe rely on that. Afterall: who's going to know who the Evil Dune Stalker is, without at least a halfway decent description?

Furthering that: if you're a raider, you should be ready to become a wanted criminal. Thats what you are. The role you are playing, when you become a raider (or an evil Sorcerer), is that of wanted criminal. Its one thing to try and minimize people recognizing you, but its another to be surprised and kill folks when they try and pass your description around. If you don't want to be hunted as a raider (or an Evil Sorcerer) don't raid, or be an Evil Sorcerer. If you raid, and actually have to pay a price for your raids (like...not being able to go back to a city-state, or getting your ass hunted by Templars), then yes it sucks, but thems the breaks. Welcome to Armageddon.

At the same time, I feel that victims need to be ready to not automagickally know everything about the raiders main description if they do catch a look at them. The responsibility goes both ways for all players to play in a -realistic- manner. "I got raided, but I didn't get a good look at him. All I saw were a couple of scars, and a bright orange bandana tied to his left ankle" is a perfectly acceptable report to make to your supperiors. If you get raided by the same guy again...come back with more details.

Again, it also comes down to this: if you are being raided (of Evil Sorcerered), you should be ready to be a victim. Be ready to get killed, or at least victimized somehow. If you didn't want to be raided, you shoudn't put yourself into a position that makes it easy for someone to do so (like being alone in the desert without friends). If the raider decides to kill you...it sucks, but thems the breaks. Welcome to Armageddon. Again.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, and don't nessecarially represent the thoughts of the Staff as a whole.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

One thing I noticed, is that, if you want to not be provocative by looking at someone, you won't look.  But suppose the person you decide not to look at is completely naked, or everything on them is bloodied, or something like that.  That's something someone would notice, so you should be able to freely look at someone without it echoing, because after all, things you would automatically notice don't really need to come with an echo.