New Option: Numbered Targets

Started by wizturbo, April 10, 2005, 09:22:48 PM

One problem I'm sure we've all encountered, is targetting the wrong person because of multiple keywords being in the same room.  You blast your friend with a lightning bolt when you meant to attack the gith.  You attack your mount instead of the vicious beetle charging you in the desert.  Or, something as simple as kissing the wrong person in the room which requires an embaressing little OOC:  Whoops, or re-emoting.

I have a solution however!

Why not have an option called numbered targets, which adds a temporary keyword to everyone in a room which is simply a number.

It could look something like this:

The ugly, fat, bald noble is sitting at a square table.  (1)
The smelly, mangy mercenary is standing behind the bald noble.  (2)
The lanky elven boy is getting drunk at the bar.  (3)

etc, etc, etc.

Using these numbers you can target people.  So you can do something like:  cast 'beam of death' 2, or kill 3.  I'm sure you get the idea.

Granted, if people come and go from the room it might mess things up, but it'd be very useful in many cases, ESPECIALLY combat ones where you might be fighting 5 "tall, dark hooded cloaked figures" and can't tell who's who.

Anyway, everyone toss in their two cents, and all you old-timers begin explaining why it isn't needed and things are fine the way they are.

I like the idea but I think it would take away from role-play and realistic environment.

I'm sort of debating it out with myself. On one hand, it would increase accuracy a smidge but on the other hand, I don't really want to see numbers beside people all the time.

So I'd have to say no...it's a good idea, but not worth while, IMO.

Quote from: "wizturbo"

Granted, if people come and go from the room it might mess things up

I think this is the biggest problem. In situations like, say, a crowded bar, people are going to be coming and going all the time. And each time, the numbers are going to reshuffle. And every time someone leaves or enters, and you don't notice, you're going to end up directing to the wrong person.

Chaos. Chaos!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I think that being able to use multiple keywords is a much more elegant solution to this problem.

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

Quote from: "Rhyden"I like the idea but I think it would take away from role-play and realistic environment.

I'm sort of debating it out with myself. On one hand, it would increase accuracy a smidge but on the other hand, I don't really want to see numbers beside people all the time.

So I'd have to say no...it's a good idea, but not worth while, IMO.

I was suggesting it be an option you can toggle on and off, so that you can turn it on for combat situations, and off for normal day to day roleplay without having those numbers popped up to bug you.

I personally don't like the ideas of numbers like that in any situation. There are bound to be better ways to solve it.

Multiple keywords would be one of those as someone said. Can't really think of anything else right now.

Creep also thinks not having inane gith-tattooed sdescs would solve the problem as well.
21sters Unite!

Being realistic, if I see 3 hooded cloaked figures, I know ones to the left, ones to the right, and ones in front of me.  I wouldn't have problem targetting each indivual because they are in different parts of the room.  While targeting the wrong person for a spell, emote, or an attack I think takes away from role playing more then a number by their name.

From a combat stand point losing my character because I couldn't attack the right person because of simular sdesc would suck.  That number might save people a lot of head ache's.

I like the general idea, but using numbers like this just sounds clumsy.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I would get confused anyways by the numbers and enter cast 'annihilate destructo-force' 5 when 5 is the templar with the antimagick shell and what I really mean't was 6, the fat-assed noble.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I don't have an answer and not sure showing numbers is the best one, but I do agree that targetting in this game is a problem.

Nothing like hunting down two dudes that murdered your friend only to bash your other friend's brains in because he was wearing a brown cloak too.