New flag: NoAttack

Started by wizturbo, April 10, 2005, 09:06:32 PM

Cale you're missing the point.  It's not that a seasoned badass will be holding back and not annihilating his charges...it's that they could do this for hours and hours and hours and hours without a break because no one would be taking any damage.  There would be no coded justification for breaking the fight, whereas how it stands now, light hits are taken more as fatigue rather than actual cuts and bruises.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"Cale you're missing the point.  It's not that a seasoned badass will be holding back and not annihilating his charges...it's that they could do this for hours and hours and hours and hours without a break because no one would be taking any damage.

No, I do see the point. And as I mentioned, it would have to be policed. But I don't think that alone is a reason to flatout say it's not a worthwhile idea. Sparring can still happen for IC days on end if you take 3 minute breaks to rest and heal, but nobody is saying sparring should be taken out of the game too.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I don't think anyone's saying this idea shouldn't go in, I think they're saying that if it does go in, it should negate any combat experience earned while it's toggled on.

Teachers could toggle it on, hold back for a few rounds, toggle it off to whack their recruit a few times over the head to show them the openings they're leaving, toggle it off, yell advice at the recruit, and eventually end the fight either by having the recruit toggle noattack on, or beating the recruit down until they're forced to flee from the ring.

Alternately, teachers could use noattack to demonstrate a good defense and instruct their pupils on different styles of attacking or defending, etc, and then use the teach command afterward.

It would work for me.

I've never wanted a noattack toggle for anything other than roleplaying reasons; torture scenes, killing scenes, tutoring scenes. Just think, you could actually beat up someone codewise; they turn noattack on, you rough them up a bit, then turn noattack on and end the fight. Whereas now, if you're in a jailcell, there's no way to end the fight once it's started.

Another thing would be mages. How silly is it for a mage to be fighting with their fists while they're weaving their spells of doom and destrukshun? Letting them put noattack on would solve that as well.

Quote from: "Halaster"This is not to say this will ever be done.  This is just me particpating in the concept of the idea.

This is not a bad idea.  If I had to code it, I'd make it where maybe the defender had no chance of gaining in skill, but the attacker still did (makes sense to me).  If both parties had the flag on, combat would stop.

Conceptually, this doesn't seem like all that hard of a thing to code.

Another thing I just thought of, this flag would help certain magickers from engaging in meaningless hand to hand combat which could potentially disrupt their ability to cast spells.  I won't get into any details but this could easily be a concern.

Here's another idea, harder to code, but nonetheless.

change power 0-10

In this case, you could set how hard you want to try to fight.

If you want to give them a little chance, lower it down to whatever you feel appropriate, if you don't want to fight at all, set it to zero.

I would recommend that most of times you would keep it at 10 which is trying your best. Anything less could be used for a number of things, sparring, teaching, and more, without having to worry about this other crap.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "cyberpatrol_735"I found a problem...

What if the two parties fighting both turn it on.. They're both defensive.. what happens to the fight.. does it stop?

I don't think that's a problem. In fact, I think that's a plus. I still hate having to flee to stop a mutual fight.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I additionally agree that the command should hamper if not eradicate boosts to skills.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Just the ability to disengage from each other without barreling out of the room is good for rp situations, in my opinion. A noattack flag makes logical sense, but, as we've said, would definitely have to be tweaked a lot and policed to make it work out ok in game mechanics, but if nothing else, I think the mutual disengage should be made possible at some point.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
Quote from: "cyberpatrol_735"I found a problem...

What if the two parties fighting both turn it on.. They're both defensive.. what happens to the fight.. does it stop?

I don't think that's a problem. In fact, I think that's a plus. I still hate having to flee to stop a mutual fight.

No no no, I didn't mean that stopping the fight would be bad, I just wasn't sure what would happen in that situation. Stopping a fight when both people agree is awesome for sparring, I'd be all for it.
For FantasyWriter:

SoI has this in there combat system, they use the set command for it which is
set pacifist - forego all attacks in combat for a defensive bonus.

and you can
set frantic - all offense, no defense (no combat learning)
set aggressive - more offense then defense
set normal - both
set careful - more defensive then offense
set defensive - mostly defense, some offense

Not to say it's a good system, just showing that it's out there and it works really well.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"SoI has this in there combat system, they use the set command for it which is
set pacifist - forego all attacks in combat for a defensive bonus.

and you can
set frantic - all offense, no defense (no combat learning)
set aggressive - more offense then defense
set normal - both
set careful - more defensive then offense
set defensive - mostly defense, some offense

Not to say it's a good system, just showing that it's out there and it works really well.

-RM

I would enjoy this system.  Its realistic.  But, likely much more difficult to code than a simple NoAttack flag.

Speaking from a coder's point of view.. this wouldn't be hard.. IF you had offence and defence stats on your char.

Set a temp int on the char for their 'normal' def and off.

ch->noff = ch->off
ch->ndef = ch->def

Then simply do

ch->off -= 10
ch->def += 10

or what not. Then if they set it back to normal

ch->off = ch->noff
ch->def = ch->ndef

Throw in some if checks in the set function or whatnot.

There's a number of way's to do it. Like I mentioned or a flag that would do it, etc.. This would work.. but a flag may be more efficient. Though it'd be harder to code.

Set the variables how you want them.. and however your off/def system is set up.
For FantasyWriter: