Naming

Started by Cindrak, March 30, 2005, 05:36:17 AM

QuoteLet's not dismiss it immediately just because it's reminiscent of a feature some hack-n-slash games have.
Look above, there are another reasons mentioned there.

As Larrath said... I don't see why we need this feature. But I see some reasons why we do -not- need it.

QuoteAli - Joined: 01 Apr 2005, Total posts:  1
...mhmmm.

Good joke Ali.

Aside from that, i for one am not looking forward to something else that may or may not ruin the game for me by letting meinhumanly remember everyone I see.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Elgiva"

QuoteAli - Joined: 01 Apr 2005, Total posts:  1
...mhmmm.

[derailmentation="A Brief Rant from Rhyden"]

I don't judge people by their GDB commencing date. In fact, I had 2 GDB accounts before this one therefore mine isn't completely accurate to the date I began Arm.  Agreed with Maybe ^

[/derailmentation]

Back to the naming, I don't like it at all. When I see somebody, I won't automatically remember their name the exact second I see them. Even people I've known for a while, I'll be like: "Hey....um....you...."

Remember names ICly by descriptions, if you can't remember a name, tuff, play it out.

Sometimes I call my sister by my aunt's name. My grandmother used to call EACH of her three daughters "ShirleyJoyceMarilyn" because she could never remember which was which, and figured a combination of all three would do the trick just fine.

My mom has called my sister and I by each others' names too often to count. My husband has occasionally referred to his mother as Dad. My cat answers to whatever name I call her at any given moment, as long as I'm shaking a bag of dry food in my hand.

I see no reason for such a code change, but I can see reasons to not have it. It has nothing to do with what I'm used to, since this is the ONLY game I've played that didn't automatically have the name attached to the description.

Some people will take the easy way out, and use that easy way, even when it isn't appropriate to do so. I see this suggested change a method to do exactly that, even if the person presenting the suggestion didn't intend it that way. I feel that the risk of people using it inappropriately far outweighs the possibility that people will use it ONLY as and when needed, and for -that- reason I am opposed to it.

MUDS THAT DISPLAY NAMES LICK NUTZ

I once, sometime ago searched for other rp muds....

Two things that got me to drop a mud within the first looksee:

1) Names.
2) No app.

Names suck. I don;t know who you are. If I forget your name.....well...then I forgot your name.

Issue closed.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Xygax"But then I realized that what I was doing was really a form of cheating.  Your character can't write, so why would you simulate keeping notes for them?  Your character probably isn't eidetic, either.

I don't see that as cheating, because my History classes have taught me that the people of ancient times had prodigious memories that far surpass our modern ones, and the reason is precisely BECAUSE they couldn't read.
Back from a long retirement

NO!  Don't do it!  Heh, just had to get my opinion in here... I hate this idea, not because it wouldn't be helpful or whatever... but because the sdesc is a huge part of the game that makes Armageddon stand out from most others out there.  It is like you are seeing a person, and not just another name on the screen.

This is one of the reasons I really latched onto the game when I first started playing.  I just thought it much more realistic to see the sdesc instead of a name.  Whether you know them or not, at a distance you might not be so sure.  If this idea was implemented, I would keep it turned OFF (if a preference was available) because even though you may know the person I still feel it adds much to the feel of the game, just seeing the sdesc... like I said, it's like you are actually seeing a person, and not just a name.  You visualize the words on the screen in Zalanthas as pictures and images and it helps you get into the game.

There, my vote has been voiced.  That being said, if it were to be implemented then there would have to be many things to take into consideration in the coding of such.  Distance, clothing, cloaks, sand storms, people that look alike, etc.. and in order to make it realistic, you may not always be able to positively identify the person.

It's hilarious that someone without an account on the gdb starts a thread, then creates accounts to support their idea.

I think the general consensus for this idea is no.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"It's hilarious that someone without an account on the gdb starts a thread, then creates accounts to support their idea.

I think the general consensus for this idea is no.

I have only posted under this name. Thanks.

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

QuoteBut then I realized that what I was doing was really a form of cheating. Your character can't write, so why would you simulate keeping notes for them? Your character probably isn't eidetic, either.

Then there's the obvious point, to those who think about it, that while I live in Earth and have hundreds of names to remember here, my character lives in Zalanthas, and uses his own memory(apart from mine) to remember everything about his life.

If you find that you can remember everything you need to in RL as well as everything your character remembers names, bravo. You've just proved that a remember command would not be unreasonable. If you want to forget a name, RP it. Don't tell all of the people who play 10+ hours a week(rather than 40, like some) they need to remember all the shit from both sides.

With that said, notepads and clients work well enough for this. I don't want to see a remember command.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Xygax"But then I realized that what I was doing was really a form of cheating.  Your character can't write, so why would you simulate keeping notes for them?  Your character probably isn't eidetic, either.

I don't see that as cheating, because my History classes have taught me that the people of ancient times had prodigious memories that far surpass our modern ones, and the reason is precisely BECAUSE they couldn't read.

Not to mention that the characters are in their world 100% of the time, while even the most avid players are usually hooked up less than 50% of the time.  Characters have just one life, but in a sense players have several lives.  Players have to remember their character's aquaintences, their RL aquaintences, possibly characters in other games, all the while trying to forget information learned by their previous characters.  My character's life is more important to her than it is to me.

My character also gets more sensory input than I do, more things to jog her memory.

My personal comfort level says paper notes are ok.  That enhances my character's memory to a reasonable point, but isn't fast or automatic.  The fact that my handwriting sucks adds a realistic margine of error.  :)  My character may still forget names, but from a game mechanics point of view it is important for me to remember how to spell their name, otherwise I have to target them with another keyword like "man" or "brown" which is likely to lead to confusion.  Bleh.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Cuusardo"It's not that difficult to crack open a text file and keep a list of sdescs and names.

Yes, that is the way I go about remembering other characters, but I do not include the sdecs in the helpfile, because I can usually tie the name to the sdesc, somehow.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I don't inherantly hate this idea. I think it has its merits, and certianly its dismerits. I, however, have not a negative nor positive view on the issue. I want to see so many other things first.

Cindrak, I think the key here is that you enjoy the game enough to want to add to and improve it. I think that maybe others are not understanding that point. You'll play Armageddon whether or not your ideas are implemented, and you, like me, like to be convinced that your idea is wrong before you drop it.

I have no problem with that, and in fact, I welcome you wholeheartedly to our community.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I don't inherantly hate this idea. I think it has its merits, and certianly its dismerits. I, however, have not a negative nor positive view on the issue. I want to see so many other things first.
I've more or less come around to this way of thinking. I still think it would be nice, but it's far from pressing. Thanks for the warm welcome.

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

I don't see anything wrong with using a text document.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Oops.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."