No
3 (21.4%)
I said "yes", but now I am on side of "no"
0 (0%)
I said "no", but now I am on side of "yes"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: March 14, 2005, 03:36:21 AM

Weather is nightmare of nonranger chars. I think there should be a way to decrease the damage. :-)

As everybody knows you should use "weather direction" as much as possible during a travel. It gets annoying with the addition of "look" command especially if you try to look at every direction.

Here, it comes. Why shouldn't we have weather command integrated with look command?
We should integrate it to "weather command" because people will want to use "look command" without any weather feedback.
Logically, if someone tries to figure out what the weather condition is in one direction, he has to "look" at in that direction.

What do you think?
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

It sounds ok to me.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

A cool alternative or addition would be to include this sort of thing in the 'weather' command, and forget about weather [direction]. Meaning, tell the inquisitive player what the sky looks like on each horizon, if it's worth telling, instead of just overhead. This way you know that it's very hot, the sky is clear, the wind is blowing fiercely south, and the sky far to the north is clouded by a rolling dust storm, all in one command. If he's not smart enough to get the hell out of there, he'll know that it's hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock, the air is filled with biting, blinding sand blowing south, and that's all. That would be so elegantly user-friendly it would almost sting.

To put the proper emphasis on the importance of weather conditions, go ahead and alert the wary traveller to the presence of a -dangerous- storm when he looks around the land as he's apt to do anyway, and also when he surveys the sky (all at once) using 'weather'. Let's just avoid having "the sky is clear" show up at every distance when we look [direction] on a clear day, or something annoying like that.
Dig?

My proposal is:

>weather west
to west there is sand wasts
[very far]
...J. Lo is standing here
[far]
...(1)...
*strange shadow*
[near]
...(2)...

Here we have two option:

First:

>weather west
[very far]
...J. Lo is standing here
[far]
Blinding storm hurls...
*strange shadow*
[near]
Blinding storm hurls...
A gortok is here

Second:

>weather west
[very far]
J. Lo is standing here
[far]
*strange shadow*
[near]
Blinding storm hurls...
A gortok is here

BUT FOR THE SAKE OF SIMPLICITY,
a trigger can be added to weather command which will trigger also "look" command. That means "second" option will be very very easy to implement.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Yes. Without a doubt.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

It's also easy to just go to your client and making an alias that will check weather after you look in a room.
Making the weather command more informative is a good thing, but just combining look and weather seems pretty pointless to me.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"It's also easy to just go to your client and making an alias that will check weather after you look in a room.
Making the weather command more informative is a good thing, but just combining look and weather seems pretty pointless to me.

You're forgetting delays. When you put it to your client, you have to invoke 8 commands (4 looks, 4 weathers). While waiting for completion of 8 commands, a gith can come and eat you. lol

>n
[Wait a few seconds to see if anything comes in at you]

>l w
>l e

[You're heading north, so check the weather northward before you go that way.]

>l n;weather north

Seems easy enough to me. I don't think combining them into one command is necessary.. though I do like HRS's suggestion of a weather command that shows where storms are on the horizon.

Does not sound any bad, but I don't think it will be implemented.

Oh..  Having seperate commands also helps RPing the distance.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Oh..  Having seperate commands also helps RPing the distance.

Hmmm, more or less.  It helps in the sense that it makes everything take longer because you have to type a bunch of commands.  However, that takes time away from emoting the distance and describing how you're traversing it.  For those of us who enjoy roleplaying the distance and the pounding storms and all that, we either have to take twice as long, or else forego either the emoting or the looking.  I frequently choose a "pemote kank scurries on six sturdy legs over the soft sand" over a "l n;l e;l s;l w".  But I guess I'm kind of asking for trouble, there.