Recycling Concepts...

Started by WarriorPoet, February 20, 2005, 01:28:06 PM

We all know about those char-concepts that seem amazing and amusing. We all know about those concepts that turn you right on, and make you yearn to get into the game, or back into it, so you can work that stellar idea you had.

But then you char dies, and that special concept you had is gone.

Is it alright to re-use your concept? I know that if you make alot of contacts and make somewhat of an impact on the world, or other PC's that you shoultn't use it again, but what about those times when you die before you get the chance to rally interact, much less affect others?

Say I have a dwarven weaponrafter in Allanak. He's got the perfect focus for you, to craft a sword sharp enough to cut through a half-giant like he was made of water. Now, the concept of the char is solid. You have his emotes down from the way he scatches his ass to the way he licks a finger and draws on the grime in his arm. It's gonna be great! Then, after interacting with exactly two other people for a total of about ten emotes, the defiler, M.J. RottenCrotch comes in, and turns you to ash as you sit at the Gaj tavern. Game over, fucker.

It's crushing to lose -that- character, and the chance to experience the life and adventures he/she would have gone through, especially after you get yourself psyched to play just that concept. I'm wondering if it's permissable to recreate that character, with a new desc, but to keep the bulk of your concept intact.

Say instead of an Nakki/black-skinned/merchant/weaponsmith/ass scratcher, change it to a Red Storm/grey-skinned/merchant/weaponsmith/nose picker. Subtle differences, but this gives you the chance to change the character while keeping the concept intact.

After all, is this really hurting anyone? Noone is going to even notice except for me and possibly a faceless app-approving staff member, who probably does fifty approvals a day and woudn't remember one measly dwarf anyway.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I have, I tried to change it up enough to make it somewhat different though. Location, race, sex...etc...
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I've been thinking about the exact same thing, WarriorPoet. I had a character who was a real badass, ale swilling foul-mouthed wonder of a cut-throat. After about five hours of gameplay he was eaten by a scrab.

But that's not my record. My shortest living character was a 'rinther, stabbed to death within three hours.

After spending a fair amount of time thinking up concepts, I'd like to recycle certain aspects of these pc's. I wouldn't just make a carbon copy and change the first letter of their name, of course...

Quote from: "Spoon"But that's not my record. My shortest living character was a 'rinther, stabbed to death within three hours.

With a one of my many unfortunate 'Rinth incidents, I died once almost immediately, got the newbie resurrection, and was promptly savaged to death by something. This all before the timer on zmud got to 45 minutes, part of which was spent meticulously placing about sixty scars on my brilliant new character... I would have recycled some of him, but I take my 'rinth chars one at a time.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

If your awesome idead char has died really short, such that you have not had the chance to enjoy your role, I think you can recycle the concept, with a little changes just so it does not look a copy.

That said...

You guys are fun.. I never had a char living -that- short.  My shortest is 13-15 hours I guess.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I wouldn't recycle it immediately, that's a little too much like hitting the "reset" button on you nintendo.  So maybe not your next character, but the character after that would be fair game.  New background, new description, but the same general kind of person.   No two snowflakes may be exactly the same, but most of them are pretty similar.  Likewise, many people are similar, just not exactly alike.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I would tend to agree with AC.  Give it a while, an intermediary character (or two or three if they're all short-lived), then try it again.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]