Sdescs as Names

Started by Larrath, February 12, 2005, 02:20:27 AM

Should it be illegal to use sdescs in order to describe people?

Yes, this results in unrealistic identifications and damages roleplay.
29 (42%)
No, chill the fuck out.
38 (55.1%)
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: February 12, 2005, 02:20:27 AM

Auburn is actually a quite normal hair color and often used to describe it. It's just a handy way of saying reddish brown, or brownish red. Now, titian is another story.

There was this elf pc that had the word "majestic" in his sdesc, one time another pc had an altercation with it and when asked what he looked like this was the answer given:

"Well...he was an elf...sort of majestic like you know?"

I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle the player behind the character who described another by just using the words from their sdesc instead of describing them in their own words.

In some cases it can't be helped because the sdesc contains the most commonly used descriptor (like green or blue...etc) but when it's a word your pc wouldn't have used to describe them...

Just using someone's sdesc instead of describing them in your own words (words that your character would normally use) is passing along OOC information IMO.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Repeating back the sdesc verbatim does bother me, and reminds me too much of playing a previous (RP-optional) MUD where that was the norm.  

I say paraphrase at the least, and mix in a detail or two from the PC's mdesc or equipment list if possible.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon