Why talk to yourself?

Started by fearwig, February 01, 2005, 02:36:13 PM

tell self Not too long now, I s'pose.
Why talk to yourself?

say (to himself) Not too long now, I s'pose.
To himself, you say, in sirihish:
    "Not too long now, I s'pose."

Not a matter of dire importance or anything, but there's no real reason not to code "tell self" as allowable, wouldn't you agree?

Because it would echo:

The tall, black-haired man says to the tall, black-haird man, in sirihish:
"I'm so bored."

And a small problem like that -certainly- couldn't be fixed via coding an appropriate check.

Yes, but a check and an echo alteration nudges it into the realm of not worth it, IMO.

Whisper self (aka mutter command) is a different matter, now.

Frankly, I don't think it's something that should be implemented.  There is already a perfectly good way to talk to oneself without the IMMs having to code in a whole new command.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Most times when I want to "talk to myself" on Arm, I just use:

say (seemingly to himself) Hmm, almost dawn...

Which would produce:

Seemingly to himself, the lean man says, in sirihish:
    "Hmm, almost dawn..."

Or something similar to that.  The word "seemingly" is used there because my character is probably not looking at anybody or focusing on anything, rather, they're just talking, so other people may naturally assume that he's talking to himself.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I never worry about what comes up on my screen. So if I type:

> say (to himself) Where's my underpants?

And I get:

To himself, you say, in sirihish "Where's my Underpants?"

Is it really important that you use things like "!me" so that what you see makes sense, or do people do it so that it just makes sense to everyone else?

The only difference between typing "him" and "!me" is what -you- see, which of course, doesn't make much difference at all.

Yeah. The only thing I can think of is if your logging it so you can then submit it to the homepage.

I never bother with !me's and such in emotes. I really couldn't care less about how it looks on my end. Instead, I go with how it looks to the rest of the room, or if nobody else is there, simply the other PC.

And as far as talking to ones self, a (to her/himself) or (to no one in particular) seem to solve that up handily. But as stated in another thread, I'm all for whisper self or mutter self because of the different options that opens up.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted: