New guild:Monks

Started by xerxes, January 30, 2005, 02:46:22 PM

Quote from: "WarriorPoet"Rather than create a new class for this niche of character, simply create a warrior, shun weapons, and roleplay it as you see fit.

What he said, because I can tell your right now:  No, there will be no monks.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

What do you mean? There's already a monk class....well not quite a class but a class none the less.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Try.. Katar punch daggers, Cestus, gloved daggers, and numerous other "fisticuff" sort of things.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

There's one specific class which's like a monk.. Though they don't paralyze you with a single hit of two fingers or a palm but, I believe (I didn't play them but had time to watch them RP) they have the mindset of the monks, even the idea of meditation.
If monks would be in ARM, best would be adding some 'ninja' skills to that class instead of making another class.
Or I believe a druidic rukkian wouldn't fight in a martial way but he'd have the mindset of a monk and believe me, he'd be more dangerous than a few D&D monks.
Note: Rukkian is given as an example not because of his skills. The helpfiles state that they may become druidic and perhaps seek wisdom ignoring material wealth.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Tlaloc"There is a class, playable by PCs, which probably fits peoples ideas about what a 'monk' is. I'll leave it for you all to find out IC about it, though, either through learning in-game, or playing one yourself.

I'll note, though: Most of what a 'monk' is that people are refering to would be an anacronism on Armageddon. Yes, there are martial artists, but its doubtful that anyone on Zalanthas would believe in Zen buddism, etc. Magick is still feared and hated by just about everyone in the Known World, and so, learning 'magickal abilities' probably wouldn't be something that people are looking to go do. Also: magick works in very specific ways on Armageddon, and its doubtful that you could see anything of the Shaolin Soccer variety, without having to defile the spectators in the audience, and turn the field to ash.

Just a few thoughts.

Oddly  Shaolin Soccer is pretty much the best (popular) version of the way I see magic (both good and bad) working.. very elemental.. lots of defilers about
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."