WINROLTHOL?

Started by Spelling Nazi, January 22, 2005, 12:32:03 AM

It's all over in the documentation, especially in clan documentation.

How can you keep misspelling it???

WINROTHOL

Winrothol

Win Rot Hol

Win Win Rothol
Win Rot, Win Hol

Win you rotting Hole!

Win Ra...ra...

Veteran Newbie

Winrothol is not an easy name to remember, especially when you're a new player that has fifty billion other things to remember, from symbols to at times overwhelmingly confusing color codes, to locations and titles and plots.

Older players should take the time to memorize that word, and so should pretty much anyone that plays in the clan...but if you're getting pissed about a newer (first three of months or so) player getting that name mixed up, please be quiet.

Three and a half months into the MUD, after playing consistently in Allanak and being dragged up to Tuluk, I could not remember the name Winrothol.  And I was already able to 'read' colors and everything.

Cut people some slack.  Heavens know that you'd wish you were given some when you were new.

I'm not going to mention problems with the actual spelling of long words that some people have.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

When I started I mis-spelt it as 'Winrothal'.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Also, you have to realise that with a mud, text really doesn't have to be exactly accurate, it is just a courtesy.

There will be no difference if I write:

-Wynrothil
-Winrohthal
-Winrothyl

It will probably all sound very much the same when spoken.

For Winrolthol? Sounds very much like Winrothol when spoken out. Am I encouraging people mispelling? No, but this is just something to take into measure.

Perhaps the Anon Kank is referring to only one person who keeps doing this over and over, with new characters each time they create one. I don't know..though if that's the case, they probably should just e-mail MUD and not post here, since IF that's the case, it would only be one person doing this and doesn't need to be aired out in public.

Spelling isn't everyone's forte, and some people are new enough that they might not remember the spelling of the word. But if they're NOT that new, or have played multiple characters trying to get into that particular clan, then yeah they should know by now.

Anyone who has played for a while and interacted with a clan several times should be able to spell that clans name.  There are several people that I have been able to pick out as players just by how these people ALWAYS misspell the same words the same way.

This is one of those effort things.

Keep in mind people, some will react to a misspelling in something said as you mispronouncing the word and will act accordingly.  A non-employee could get targeted for mischief for the constant insult of mispronouncing the name.  An employee could be fired for such lax, careless behavior.  Put forth the effort, however, and I'm sure these won't be issues.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

It doesn't kill me, but you should learn how to spell the names. Tenneshi, Winrothol.. For a while I thought it was Windrothol.

Forget the Bardic Circles, I mean Konviwedu? Could pick anything harder??

Give em' a break they'll get it.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I always thought it was Winthrol...

and I thought it was Bestatette

and I thought it was Cuursado

This board makes my reading suck.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Perhaps we should spell it "Takeachillpillanddon'tbesoanal".
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

The reason I made this post is because there are two posts on the tavern board in Tuluk, about two months apart, and BOTH of them have Winrothol misspelled in the subject.  You'd think that the person who made those posts would have learned in two months to spell the name of the clan correctly.

Yes, it drives me BONKERS when people are being encouraged ICly to spell a word correctly, AND THEY KEEP MISSPELLING IT!  I once watched someone keep misspelling it "Tennishi" for a good RL month, even though there was at least one person who kept trying ICly to correct that person's spelling.

If that makes me anal, so be it.  I can't help it if persistent misspelling after being corrected makes my teeth itch.

Sometimes it falls into a characters dialect to pronounce them misspelled. I know specifically pronounced a word wrong (not the name of a House, though), and rp'd gradually acquiesing to the accepted way of pronouncing it. (The correct spelling, instead of the previous way).
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I guess a witch cast a hex in her last breath about the ones who tries to spell the houses's name. I once had a character with Winrothol surname, and misspell it for weeks. As I said old curses are so strong... And I think this post suits better to OOC chatter. Heh.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

If someone spelled something wrong, and it bothers you, guess what?

They just mispronounced it!  Laugh at them if it's IC!  Stupid mumbling idiots.

On a nearby rail: I wish people would STOP correcting their spelling via OOC.  That drives me bonkers.  Who cares if your 'there' turned out 'tere'  It doesn't matter.  Your character just had a slip of the tongue.  Roll with it and don't break the IC/OOC plane.  If your character would correct themselves, do it!  "(clearing throat)I meant to say there!"

On a side note, anyone who makes no effort to spell anything right and/or doesn't use punctuation and spelling deserves an OOC slap and to be ignored ICly.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I am your poor speller. Hi everyone.

I don't know, is it that big a deal? Sometimes people make typo's, sometimes people just plain spell things wrong. It happens, maybe sometimes once, twice or ten times. Not everyone is flawless. Do I know how to spell Winrothol? Yes, I should hope so... Am I capable of spelling it wrong sometimes? Yes, I am.

Is it a glaringly bad misspelling? How about instead of making that person feel like a jerk here, (in this case me) wish up and ask for it to be fixed, or send a note to the clan Imm. I just don't see the point for this. But Thanks, I'll make a personal note.

Also for Itchy teeth, I recomend brushing.. Less spell checker, more brushing.
Hold it down Bitches. I'm out!

Dup

Ouch. Well said, and well done.

This thread's finished.
Veteran Newbie

Some people mispell 'you' and 'the', so its not suprising that a word like Withronithol would be mispelled.

I'm going to make two comments.

The first is that I don't like people posting anonymously then logging in an account (or another account) to support themselves.  Please either stay anon or stay logged in as an account -- can't have it both ways.  Even if I/most ppl agree with you!

The second is that I actually find it annoying too when there is clearly no effort made to spell something correctly over an extended period of time.  Inadvertently misspelling something every now and then (typing too fast, not knowing the correct spelling, or whatever)?  Hey, we all do it, and it rarely means not understanding what you said.  Misspelling intentionally to simulate an accent?  Or even just to piss someone off IC'ly?  Groovy -- I dig that.  Misspelling something just because you really don't care how much it jars everyone else?  Not groovy.

This is a story told with the effort of everyone involved in it.  Not a game in which no interest is put on the quality of the communication.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

There are always ways to find the correct spelling, but some people have a hard time doing that 'on the fly'.  That is, if they're roleplaying a conversation, they might not want to take the time to look up the spelling.

I don't like misspelled words and try to avoid them myself, but I try to be pretty understanding about them unless it comes off as really sloppy or lazy.    Yes, you're going to see people misspell clan names, people mixing up "its" and "it's", people trying to put an "a" into the word "definite", every conceivable incorrect variation of "sergeant", but in the end I think you just have to roll with it and carry on roleplaying.

I can be as persnickety about this stuff as anyone, but what can you do besides ask people to make an effort?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I'm surprsied there's been even a single response to this thread. Winrothol. Okay. Thanks. Now we know how to spell it, if we didn't before. End of discussion.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I'm surprsied there's been even a single response to this thread. Winrothol. Okay. Thanks. Now we know how to spell it, if we didn't before. End of discussion.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Me, I consider it kind of a big deal.  If you're consistently spelling it wrong, even though you have people spelling it -right- around you...you're completely ignoring what's happening around you.  You aren't using deductive reasoning to figure out that you're spelling it wrong, and making the necessary adjustments.

Come on, why -wouldn't- you pay attention to the fact you're mispelling it.  Because you're lazy and don't care?  Because you're stubborn and insist on using your spelling because you're always right?

Yes, the first few typoes are fine.  But after that, it's just plain stupid for you to not pick up on it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'm not sure I am following you on this Armaddict. And no.. I am not stupid. At least I don't think so. It's not like the post was poorly written or written in l337. I mean, it was a letter in one word. And just to clarify. I reused the old post a month back and just revised it, because it was basically the same information, give or take a few things. So I made a typo once and missed it the second time around. I don't know why I am honestly bothering to even argue this fact.

The "erroneous" spelling was just an oversight. Not laziness or lack of care for what I am writing, a plain and simple oversight.  As I said before. Instead of taking your finger pointing tactics here, if it bothers you, it would make sense to email the mud. Because just by chance I the poster do read these boards. If in fact  I didn't, the efforts of the original poster would have been wasted on a bunch of people that know how to spell Winrothol properly.

I see posts like this time and time again. Someone "Anonymous" gets annoyed at some petty, truly minor thing in game and starts a thread about it. Email the mud, you'd be more likely to get your issue fixed I think, and save someone else a little bit of embarrassment.

As Dracul said, I think this thread is finished.

I don't think you read mine very carefully.

I was speaking in regards to those who, consistently, repeatedly, unceasingly, misspell the exact same word.

Sorry, you can call me anal, but grammar and spelling -do- count to me in this game.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Thank you to everyone who chimed in on this pressing issue.  I think both sides have been presented.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!