On the junk command

Started by Cyrian20, January 10, 2005, 01:25:18 AM

Is there a way to junk your obsidian coins. As part of my Rp I paid a vnpc, then tried to junk a coin and found it didn't work. I tried several different variations of the command but nothing seems to work. Can anytell me if it is an error on my part and if not...

Idea: Allow the junk command to junk your coins (I see the obvious problem here, try to junk that obsidian shard you just threw into the desert then you find you forgot to pick it up first. There goes your pile of coins. Fix could be it only junks one coin unless given a number)
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Edit: No need to dirt the thread. I had thought that he is talking about NPCs.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

How are you supposed to give coded items to NPCs that aren't coded?  :?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Coins aren't coded as objects.  So, you won't be able to use many commands that you can with objects (ie, change the ldesc, junk, referring to it in emotes, etc).  Your best bet is to RP as you have (with a vnpc), and give the money to a npc to represent your VNPC, or just drop it for a lucky passerby to find.
-Ashyom

Or buy something and give that to the VNPC (junk it) instead of cash.  Most VNPCs are equally happy with goods.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think this is a good idea, and I don't see why 'junk' shouldn't be able to work with it.

It can just be coded to take a new argument, and then you can do "junk 20 coins", and you'll lose them from your inventory.  If you don't have enough, you'll get some smart message about not having that much money in the firstplace.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

As Ashyom said, coins aren't coded as objects. If they were, there would need to be one object for every single coin in the game, and that would likely shut the game down. In an object-oriented code (such as MOO), coins -are- objects, but remain virtual (meaning, kept in the database's "coin array") until someone interacts with them. So - if you put 50 coins in your pocket, they get stored in the array and don't show up again until you "look" in your pocket or take the coins out junk your cloak, thus dropping the coins to the ground. That's how they save memory - by keeping things like that (and directional exits) virtual until used.

DIKU doesn't work that way, and it's my guess it would take some serious coding to work it. Sure it would be a great idea, but I'd rather see other things worked on (brewing!) before anyone tackles the puzzle of virting coins in a non-OO codebase.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Or buy something and give that to the VNPC (junk it) instead of cash.  Most VNPCs are equally happy with goods.

AC

Thanks thats a great idea.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Yeah, all great ideas that I COULD have used several days ago when i needed to junk some coin.