Tuluki Gates

Started by xX_Cathedral_Xx, January 02, 2005, 02:20:48 PM

I don't know about the rest of you but it doesn't seem to make sense to me that the guards around Tuluk, who usually seldomn see combat, would take all that time and effort to close the gates for such lowly creatures as tembo and such. I could see them taking the time for bahamet or something of that nature but certainly not gortok or tembo.. What do you all think?
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

I give this man much respect for this comment.

I don't think it's so much the threat in question but rather the principle behind the matter. If it's okay to lure small game to the gates because you're a bad hunter, it'd be suggesting that slightly bigger game's okay and so on until you have bahamet running rampant within the gates killing off scores of soldiers. By law, it's illegal to lead animals into the gates to begin with which the NPC soldiers cannot deal with due to code-related issues. Whereas PCs would likely catch and fine those PCs and punish them. Too often have I seen PCs lead a tembo to the gates, let the NPC soldiers kill them, skin them, and make off with the cuts as though nothing at all had happened. I'm glad that they put in this code, it's an IC effort to stop this sort of poor hunting and if it's infuriating people, perhaps their characters will hunt down those that do it and put a stop to it.

Just my two 'sids.

I hear what your saying, I just wish there might be a better option to this than closing the gates, you know? Maybe if you run back to the gates and the animal actually shows up you could get fined through the code somehow.. Or become wanted..

Dunno..
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

Quote from: "JoyRide"I don't think it's so much the threat in question but rather the principle behind the matter. If it's okay to lure small game to the gates because you're a bad hunter, it'd be suggesting that slightly bigger game's okay and so on until you have bahamet running rampant within the gates killing off scores of soldiers. By law, it's illegal to lead animals into the gates to begin with which the NPC soldiers cannot deal with due to code-related issues. Whereas PCs would likely catch and fine those PCs and punish them. Too often have I seen PCs lead a tembo to the gates, let the NPC soldiers kill them, skin them, and make off with the cuts as though nothing at all had happened. I'm glad that they put in this code, it's an IC effort to stop this sort of poor hunting and if it's infuriating people, perhaps their characters will hunt down those that do it and put a stop to it.

Just my two 'sids.

Have the guards skin their kills :)
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

:idea:  Have the guards coded so that they immediately pick up a carcass, and junk it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo":idea:  Have the guards coded so that they immediately pick up a carcass, and junk it.

I would be able to work with that.. And it would make sense ICly.. They could have had someone just take it back inside the city to be skinned for the food and such..

Quote from: "Cuusardo":idea:  Have the guards coded so that they immediately pick up a carcass, and junk it.

Would they know the difference between animals and people?  Junking people is odd, and since they are containers it would cause all their possessions to fall to the ground in a bloody shower.  Grabby NPCs are a nuicense, grab&junk NPCs would be a menace -- there would be no reasonable way to get stuff back if you happened to drop it near them.

I think I'd prefer a half-giant NPC who picks up stuff around the gates (including bodies) and when his encumberance gets to heavy he would go to a non-save storeroom in the templar's quarter and "drop all".  That would allow law enforcement PCs a chance to go through the stuff, and give unlucky PCs the possibility of getting their stuff back.  Anything not claimed by the next boot would disappear, presumably disposed of by VNPC law enforcement.  

This would be a moderately complex script, so it might have to go onto a dedicated NPC with no other scripts, to prevent conflicts.  Instead of a soldier he could be support personel or even a templarate slave.  He wouldn't need to have weapons, though he would need to be tough enough to survive long enough for the soldiers to kill whatever came through the gates if it happened to target him.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

An interesting twist to my idea.  I like it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

And the slave who has the bodies should have a coded cart which he carries all the dead bodies in. When he makes his weekly visit to the drop-off location, he'll yell in the streets:

"Drop your dead here! All your dead bodies, drop'm here!"

Got that from Monty Python's 'Holy Grail'.  :wink:

Quote from: "Rhyden"And the slave who has the bodies should have a coded cart which he carries all the dead bodies in. When he makes his weekly visit to the drop-off location, he'll yell in the streets:

"Drop your dead here! All your dead bodies, drop'm here!"

Got that from Monty Python's 'Holy Grail'.  :wink:

You know, as soon as I read that my mind instantly pictured a scene from the tsunami that has happened when the police are driving around yelling on loud speakers to have the bodies placed roadside.

If you and your buddies wanna play with a pack of rabid rottweilers on steroids, or the offspring of a crocodile and a bulldog, feel free.  But personally, if I can just swing a gate closed to avoid it, or have the bonus of snickering at whoever's stuck outside, perhaps placing bets on how quickly they die...that's what I'll do.

Most of the militia tend to feel the same way.

So, in some cases it's a relatively significant security response (bahamet, invading hordes of rabid tregil, orbital vestric station attacks, etc.), and in others it's convenient avoidance.  If the templarate/militia wants to mount a response, they can still do so.

In the meantime, I wouldn't recommend heading into dangerous territory without some effective means of protection or far outdistancing a pursuer.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Shop, er, hunt smart!

Quote from: "Savak"If you and your buddies wanna play with a pack of rabid rottweilers on steroids, or the offspring of a crocodile and a bulldog, feel free.  But personally, if I can just swing a gate closed to avoid it, or have the bonus of snickering at whoever's stuck outside, perhaps placing bets on how quickly they die...that's what I'll do.

So, in some cases it's a relatively significant security response (bahamet, invading hordes of rabid tregil, orbital vestric station attacks, etc.), and in others it's convenient avoidance.  If the templarate/militia wants to mount a response, they can still do so.

In the meantime, I wouldn't recommend heading into dangerous territory without some effective means of protection or far outdistancing a pursuer.

-Savak

I know at least one moderately dangerous creatures that spawns about 5 rooms from a gate.. not much room to far out distance em..
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

have anything killed at the gates coded so its unskinable or somethin
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

Quote from: "Savak"If you and your buddies wanna play with a pack of rabid rottweilers on steroids, or the offspring of a crocodile and a bulldog, feel free.  But personally, if I can just swing a gate closed to avoid it, or have the bonus of snickering at whoever's stuck outside, perhaps placing bets on how quickly they die...that's what I'll do.

-Savak

I totally agree with this, but why not script it so the gates re-open at least by themselves once the threat is gone?  Me and my friends dispatched the rottweiler on steroids and told the girly men to re-open the gates but they wouldn't, and now they stay closed until..

1. A templar PC opens them.
2. A staff opens them.

Both of which aren't usually abundantly just walking around.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

This is precisely what I'm working on now, as an improvement on that script -- sadly the last week has been pretty slack as far as getting anything done, between the AIM and driving halfway across the country & back on Memorial Day weekend.
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

I believe the original DikuMUD code already has this script.

Bots or Dikubugs or Janitors were coded to pick up items off the floor and go to the room called the City Dump (which incidentally had a script to auto-junk anything dropped in that room) and drop them there.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'