Don't be such a sneak

Started by SewerRat_inTheOpen, December 31, 2004, 12:13:29 AM

To move, go or depart quietly, furtively and unnoticed

Code: A failed sneak will show up as

QuoteThe thorny durian stealthily moves south

But I find it weird, in my perception, I think sneaking is not like in those dummy movies where they show people making exaggerating movements to sneak away, they just walk away quietly, an ability to merge in with their surroundings, be inconspicious.

No doubt there can be of another type, the -hide behind the barrels, roll three meters, mad dash to the table, drop down- type, but that's exaggeration again.

Code: Can it be made into just

QuoteThe The thorny durian walks south.

If a person is doing those roll behind barrel, mad dash, they would be more conspicious than ever, but a good sneak will perhaps be just like a chameleon. It seems so much better.

Cons might be everyone sneaking about since there are no apparent downside to it [ which is probably why the current system is in place].

Suggestions: Give sneak a higher delay, I think the current one has a slighter longer delay, make it slighter longer then, and trust in the players. :D

ps: I realise the underlined is hard to do though, otherwise much more would be applicable.

psps: This is not to help people sneak better, just finding it weird, or maybe I have not skulk about enough in real life to realise what it's really about.

pspsps: This is not toplist stuff, just putting it up.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

A simple failure should result in a walk, a critical failure should result in the more conspicuous "noticable sneak".

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"A simple failure should result in a walk, a critical failure should result in the more conspicuous "noticable sneak".

Quote from: "Angela Christine"A simple failure should result in a walk, a critical failure should result in the more conspicuous "noticable sneak".

AC

Agreed.
<Blank> says, out of character:
     "OW!  Afk a moment, my chair just...broke, beneath me."

But I think there should be some skill or attribute that effects whether or not you see the stealthy message.  A normal person might notice you if you fail, but someone perceptive enough will not only notice you but notice that you were trying to be inconspicuous.
Back from a long retirement

Depends on the room IMO.

"Populated" rooms, it should probably appear as walks regardless of criticality of the failure.

Low population rooms (including wilderness), it should probably generally appear as stealthily...

The basis for this is that you'd do different things in these situations.  If there are people around, you're not sneaking through a shadow and trying to pick a time when someone isn't looking... you're going to pick a time when you can blend into the crowd, thus, it's going to be a "walk".

If you're somewhere with very few people, the act of "sneaking" is completely different, and does involve unusual actions, which will generally be recognized as such.

Of course, the problem with using the coded "populated" flag is that it leaves a simple exploit to determine the "populated" state of a room...

QuoteAngela Christine wrote:
A simple failure should result in a walk, a critical failure should result in the more conspicuous "noticable sneak".

QuoteBut I think there should be some skill or attribute that effects whether or not you see the stealthy message.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"But I think there should be some skill or attribute that effects whether or not you see the stealthy message.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Here's a tip.  If you don't want people to see you "stealthily look like a dumbass", then don't sneak.  Hide.

If you walk into the next room while hidden, nobody will see you if you're successful.  Fail, and they just might see you simply walk away.

Of course this means you'll have to hide again and again and again if you're planning on sneaking for any great length.  But if you just want to slip out of a tavern without looking like a dork (should you fail to sneak), try hiding instead.

Quote from: "CRW"
Yayus, thus sayms elementary.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Pantoufle"
If you walk into the next room while hidden, nobody will see you if you're successful.  Fail, and they just might see you simply walk away.

I think, you are wrong in that.

If you are hidden, and you walk away, no matter you have successed in hide, you will be seen walking away.  I have witnessed it more than just once.  
Conclusion:  If you dont want to be seen, when you are walking you should:
a) either successfully use sneak, or
b) You should hide and "shadow" someone.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "jhunter"

QuoteBut I think there should be some skill or attribute that effects whether or not you see the stealthy message.

see how much I didn't have to type?!?

Pantoufle wrote:

QuoteHere's a tip. If you don't want people to see you "stealthily look like a dumbass", then don't sneak. Hide.

I have to disagree with you, if you do what you are saying could be done instead of sneaking, it eliminates the whole purpose of having the skill 'sneak' in the first place.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

How about "don't sneak all the time"?  You aren't playing Quest for Glory (best game ever) so there is little benifit and some harm to sneaking when you don't mean to be sneaky.  Don't sneak places where it would hurt your character to been seen acting suspicious.  Practice sneaking in out-of-the-way and lawless areas, and don't sneak in shops and taverns unless you really, really need too.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

AC

*jumps on the bandwagon*
Veteran Newbie

How about if you define the way you sneak? If you have sneak on type "n falling into a small crowd of commoners" THEN, if they saw you sneak north, they'd know you were just trying to avoid attention, rather than avoid being seen by anyone at all.

Also, if I use hide, I change my ldesc. One time I was trying to hide from someone in a crowded bar.  I typed:  

hide
change ldesc sitting at a table in the back corner.

That way, anyone who saw me hiding, wouldn't think I was crouched behind the drapes or something.  I know this works good, but I've never actually tried the "move north  falling into a crowd..." thing.  

In any case, I always try to define, as much as possible (even if it's just to myself with the think command) how I'm hiding, or sneaking.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Quote from: "Kankman"
Quote from: "jhunter"

see how much I didn't have to type?!?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

:wink:
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!