A reminder to people writing rumors on rumor boards

Started by Marauder Moe, December 18, 2004, 09:47:17 PM

From the help files:
QuoteYou will need to type "write" by itself, once you have exited the text editor, for the message to be saved. If you don't save the message by using "write" again, then your message will be lost at the next reboot.

So, once you're done writing your message you must save the board with the  write command.  

>write My rumor

>blah blah blah

>blah blah blah

>~

>write

I've seen a lot of message disappear lately after reboots/crashes (supposedly) because people didn't do this.

Ya, like Moe said. And also, when you're writing a bulletin, try to map it out. Write it on Word or something first and edit it. Then, when it looks all pretty, write her up on the bulletin. It's just helpful when other characters can actually read your rumors.  :wink:

Oh, and also, if there's dialogue in a rumor, it's much easier to read when there's spacing between diaglogue. This means a space whenever somebody different speaks. I've done diaglogue with no spacing before and it looks really bad. Just a few tips.

And don't type 'write board blah blah blah' ..

the correct way to write on the IC board is:

write blah blah blah

:arrow: Notice I omited the word 'board'.

then your message..

and yes.. 'help write' is a -very- good reference for making
a nice IC board message. I've had my share of screw ups and
what not.. kinda embarassing.. especially after they're saved
and real sloppy..
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

I was thinking it is pretty nice to have short rumours that last a week, if the game doesn't crash.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

Can anyone post rumors on the board, so long as it has genuine role play value?

I'd like to add that the "rumor board" is one of the many little things that separate Armageddon from other so-called roleplay MUDs.

Quote from: "SanityAssassin"Can anyone post rumors on the board, so long as it has genuine role play value?

Anyone can post on the rumour boards. Technically, I suppose that you should only post if its something that people would be talking about in the location that you are in. For example, if you find out from your well-placed spy that Lady Haughty has a half-elf lover just putting this up on the rumour board straight away is a little bad form as the general public have no idea about this. In my opinion a better approach is to try and have this information made a bit more well-known before having it written up on the board. It is nice if this can be done through having other PCs do this for you but this might not always be possible. If you are in a position where you have some IC power then I think it is acceptable to use VNPCs to do this once you actually use some of your coin to have some people go out and spread the word around the taverns, etc. Rumours like so-and-so is looking for work with Salarr as a hunter are probably not very appropriate as the general populace wouldn't be yakking about such a thing but they don't do any harm really either. Also, when writing up a rumour I think its a good idea to avoid it being your personal mouthpiece. Try to think how people would react (maybe in varied ways) to the information and bring this to the rumour.

In other words, use common sense and discretion.  Got it- thanks for the reply.

Yeah, certainly if your character has the intention of spreading a rumor he/she should talk to people about it BEFORE posting it on the board.