Posting Anonymously -- Good idea or bad idea

Started by Opinionated Kank, November 06, 2004, 04:57:23 PM

I don't think that posting anonymously spares anyone's feelings. If you have something to say that is so hurtful that you don't want to use your name, perhaps it is better not to say it at all.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I tend to avoid/disregard "Anonymous Kank" posts (like Xygax said), but I tend to take more time when reading ones with a name. Or something like "lost newbie", where its apparent they either don't have an account, or don't want to look like an idiot.

Its otherwise unjustified 'anonymous kanks' that bug me.

QuoteI believe that any time someone posts anonymously and flames another user or a situation then I really feel the moderators should track down the user and make a note on their game account. That person just proved they are immature and petty.

Actually, we do. I would say its rare if someone doesn't get a note on thier account, and to count yourself lucky if you don't.

QuoteFlames happen all the time, sure, but I sure as hell know I'd think twice before posting a full set of questions about nobles or elves or merchants or the rebel subguild if it would lead to everyone knowing exactly who I play.
I believe this thread is a good example of this.

Again - honestly, I feel that the example you posted, while answered well enough on the GDB, could have been answered by the Poster's clan staff far easier, better, and in a more succinct fashion - and nobody would have known there was a PC in-game that can read and write in Cavilish.

I'd like to reiterate (and echo Marko's comments): if posting something will make people 'know who you are', then its very likely you are posting too much IC information and probably shouldn't be posting at all. Exceptions to this rule may be on more private forums, such as clan boards, etc.

I -do- like seeing compliments about each others RP posted, and I'm fine with the examples that Barzalene had posted (which I didn't think of). Don't hesitate, however, to tell the Staff, and compliment the player through Us, though, as there's always a chance we missed out on the interaction.
Tlaloc
Legend

Would it be possible to ban anonymous posting in certain forums? So, ones like 'Ask the staff', which is pretty flame proof, could have it for the benefit of new and yet-to-be players, while anoymous posting in the OOC forum is banned, which, face it, is the hive of anonymous flames.

I like that idea, Spoon, since some of the good reasons to post anonymously on other forums don't apply to the OOC forum.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Anonymous posting does not create a flaming problem, because the users of the GDB have repeatedly proven that they are quite capable of doing all the flaming while logged on.

If you are talking trash on a public forum, it is completely unreasonable to assume someone should correct you or express disagreement in private. If you are incorrect or I just disagree with you, it would make no sense to say that in private, because, after all, this is a public forum.

So there's really no problem. Except maybe people replying to their own messages anonymously, but that is an annoyance at most.

And please remember that you are free to put whatever weight you want on anonymous posts. You can even pretend not to see them.

I think there is a problem when entire threads have to be deleted because they've turned into anonymous slag-fests.

Especially when the staff make repeat posts about it in the 'Staff Announcements' forum.

Quote from: "Spoon"I think there is a problem when entire threads have to be deleted because they've turned into anonymous slag-fests.
Absolutely. It's called flaming and it's very present on all public internet forums, anonymous or not.

QuoteEspecially when the staff make repeat posts about it in the 'Staff Announcements' forum.
And as the staff has repeatedly said, they can find out who you are if you post anonymously from the same IP. And if you post from a different IP, flaming anonymously or while logged on under a secondary name doesn't really make a difference, since they still won't know who you are.

I don't want to spoil anyone's fantasy of a forced-registration flame-free board, but it certainly isn't going to happen.

Not logging in helps me to still my compulsion to read every post. Or, if I am purposely indulging that compulsion, it prevents me from accidentally clearing the "unread" marker from things I haven't gotten to yet.

Otherwise, while I like the idea of having an established identity on the boards, having people I know outside the game look over my shoulder and read my gdb name while I am posting gives me a strange prickly feeling. Not as bad as having someone who doesn't play watch me on the mud (especially when I'm playing a character with a personality very distinct from my own), but still uncomfortable.

My thoughts are that though the GDB is an extremely helpful place where people can receive
information, I think it is in a newbies best interest to post anonymously for their first few months
before they start posting with their "real name". I say this because many of the GDB people do
flame newbies for asking what they would consider a common sense question.  I think also
newbies should use the helper system a lot more than it is and direct a majority of their
questions there. Unless it is something actually code related, do not post on the GDB.  I think
it would be fitting for the newbie to become familiar with the game and how it works before
posting questions, and it will save them a lot of time, trouble and grief.  A lot of people get a
bad taste in their mouth because a lof of the people here(On the GDB) are dicks to the newbies.
Posting in like the OOC Forum, and stuff like that I think is cool for them, or in their clan GDB,
but the others, just more than not, turns into a flame of the newbie, anonymous or not.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Hrm.. I  have posted anonymously quiet a few times, but only to avoid people knowing who I play or have played. And someone said that if you have to hide your name, then perhaps what you are saying is too IC anyway. And I disagree with that.

I mean, the thread might be on the cost of weapons in tuluk right now. Lets say I am playing a Salarri in the north and don't want people to know that I play this highly visible role. But I do have something important that I would like to say on the thread.

Like for example:

"I currently play a Salarri, and I really think that the pricing is fair. What people should understand is that, such as in real life the demand of things reflects the pricing. If something is a rare item, you can sure expect to pay more for it.. even if it is just two bones tied with a piece of leather. I don't see too much in the way of complaints on this IC, so I am not sure that it is that big an issue. "

Or Lets say an old High Profile Noble

"Playing a Noble in the south a while back, I  find that it can be an extremely daunting task to keep my clan members happy and entertained. What I would have liked to have seen more was clan participation in these fields ect.."

Anonymous Kank posts for these types of things, where you want the reader to know of your first hand experience but don't want to give yourself away, I think are fine.

Also there is the "I don't want to look like the Jackass that doesn't know the answer to this" Anon Kank posts.

Example:

"I don't know my PC is getting thirsty all the time, I take a drink of water and then I am thirsty again. Can I get some help?"

"Why did ten people look at me like a record scratched off the juke box when I said that I would wrtite a note and leave it with my friend for someone? Did I do something wrong?"

And there is also the person surfing our sigh and our mud that is just browsing.. A potential user.

Example:

"I was just looking through the docs of your mud and looking over the boards. There seems to be a lot of things pointing to Strict staff involvement and a Lack of player driving plots. Can I get some opinions on this as Character creation seems very lengthy process and I would prefer a Mud that really lets me control the outcome of things."

What makes the option bad is when you get people supporting their own posts with Kank posts, or starting fights with the safety on anonymity on their side. If you don't know that these things are in poor  taste,  then I think the staff has the right to ban your IP.

So, with that I say keep the anon posting ability and have more active Imm scolding on the few bad apples spoiling the bunch.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I don't give a toss if someone posts anonymously or not.  Getting upset about shit like that is just petty.

Now, posting anon because you are too chickenshit to make a snide remark under your "official" identity is a different story, but still...

Sorry for the derailment but.....

That _was_ funny Pantoufle..
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]