Up yours!

Started by Spoon, October 16, 2004, 06:54:45 AM

No.  You show respect to nobles by bowing (in the south) or with a polite nod (in the north).  Spitting is going to get you a painful death.

Maybe so, maybe not, it depends on your character and how well the noble pc is at evaluating a characters traditions and such. You bring a person inside the city who does little with nobles and stick in infront of a noble and its told to be respectful, if his traditions are to spit at his feet, that is what he is going to do, now if said noble player is open minded enough to keep in mind who this character is there shouldnt be a problem.

Said noble might handle it by telling him that is not proper and such, but he would not order a death, now if the noble is close minded and believes everyone knows how to treat a noble and such then or course he would order such and such commoner to death, and in turn would probably get a few accusing looks after it all happened because once everyone found out about the incident. They would wonder why said noble comdemed someone to death for giving him respect, albeit not in the "proper" city way.

Sorry for rambling on, what im getting at is it depends on the situation, characters and such, and I merely meant to use it as an example. I never meant to mix anyone up and make it seem literal or whatnot.

Signed Irathu (sorry I was the anon)

This isn't an argument, its a discussion.  If I was short its because I just woke up and my brain hadn'y fully turned on yet.  Anyway, there's two issues here.

First, nobles are -not- nice, tolerant, and open-minded people.  Unless this tribal is offering metal trinkets or a map to Steinal, an alternate gesture of respect will probably not be tolerated.  Granted, yes, death is a harsh punishment for such a crime, but I don't think any noble would ever be frowned upon for giving out some sort of punishment.

Second, water is not that precious in Armageddon.  The cities each have at least one well, as do some of the smaller towns/outposts I believe.  There are also oases scattered about the land.  Yes, water is expensive and people don't normally bathe in it or anything, but its not so rare that people are afraid to sweat, cry, or spit for fear of dehydrating.  I just don't see people in  Zanathas considering it a sign of respect, except for MAYBE some tribes, but probably just because they want to resemble tribes of a certain other desert world with large worms and spice.  :wink:

Just for the record, giving people two fingers is still commonly used over here. I probably did it without thinking a number of times over the last week.

It is to do with English longbowmen and the French. There are historical sources out there that back this, I just can't be arsed to find them. :?

Thx Maruader, honest, that is what I intended to get across. But as you said nobles are not nice and such, But again it all depends on the situation. Some pcs let things go, others do not. As for water being precious thats true its not but it is valuable. Not so much to make someone rich on having water alone, but it would allow for some tensions in some of the deeper tribes and such. As you said a MAYBE.

Anyways it could be something a tribal could pick up or even someone outside of the city as a tradition, but its use would have to be careful and such.

And again forgive me also for being short if I was. I am just glad someone else sees it the way I do.

Irathu.

And for the record, nobles don't have to evaluate a commoner's traditions.

If the commoner thinks thats respectful by spitting on the noble, and the noble doesn't. Someone is going to die.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

It seems to me that in a water-precious world, spitting on the ground would be offensive whilst spitting on someone would be a compliment...

Spitting on someone is giving them your water - spitting on the ground is wasting it...

Spit isn't water.  And water isn't that scarce, especially to the particular culture that uses spitting as a greeting.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

And salive on your skin won't hydrate you in the least.  Matter of fact, it will wipe away the moisture barrier covering that bit of skin, as well as dry out the skin, actually robbing you of a bit of moisture.

*shrugs* They do say you learn something new every day!