Mimic skill

Started by forest imp, October 09, 2004, 04:24:42 PM

OOH OOH!

Idea!

Make it available to the hunter subclass and branched for the ranger?

Maybe?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Bestatte"There are lots of people who are roleplayed as being city-based, born and raised in the city, with little or no practical experience living outside the city.

And there are loads of tribals who pick the nomad subclass and then never leave the city.

That is why I am -totally- against anyone picking the nomad class to get anything more than they already do. I've seen many - many - people pick nomad JUST because they want to speak Bendune and have a tribal accent - and of the ones that aren't in a hard-coded clan, every single one I've met has been city-based, employed by a city-based clan.

I can understand "extenuating circumstances" leading one or another tribal to work for a city clan - but when everyone and their brother uses that as an excuse, it's no longer extenuating.

So no - I am vehemently against the nomad subclass coming with anything even remotely similar to this mimic idea.

Quote from: "Bestatte"I still don't like the idea of rangers getting this skill automatically just because they picked the ranger class.

There are lots of people who are roleplayed as being city-based, born and raised in the city, with little or no practical experience living outside the city. Why in the world should THEY have some natural ability to mimic animals that they have probably never even heard of, let alone seen in their entire lives?

I know this is a old topic and all, but I have to say... All Rangers have to abilit to quit in the wilds whether or not they're from the city or the desert.  The primary role of rangers is to be masters of the wilderness.  I can't see how someone who can survive in the desert like such would just "naturally" have that ability, being from the city.  Obviously there is wilderness training of some nature at work here.  What about the ability to wander through sandstorms without being lost?

It's really a moot point.  Rangers are good at surviving in the wastes, regardless of where they're from.  I assume that means they've ran into some fauna in their time.  If they obtained or branched a skill to make animal calls this would be nothing other than a reinforcement of the role they're suited to.

Feasibly you could make it so that the skill required an argument, and the only way a call would work is if you had previously seen a call from the type of animal you're hunting and could properly mimic the string it uses.  Metagaming issues aside, this would prevent Rangers from calling animals they had never seen before... Unless of course they had one of those spiffy whistles, which might assist with a call, or even just teach them the noise to make.

Then again, I haven't even played in a dozen months,  what do I know.

They shouldn't get it first off, no.  It should branch off hunt.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

It would be a cool branch skill. I do believe that there shouldn't be too many calls that they could do without support of a tool. It would be a nice ability for the hunter subguild and maybe tinker subguild to be able to make, in addition to the obvious guild(s).

I, personally, don't think it should be limited to tribals. Someone said that, if it wasn't, a 'rinthi could pick ranger guild and be able to make animal calls. This is no different from a 'rinthi ranger being able to hide and sneak in the wilds, track, move through storms... I think it's reasonable to give any hunter/ranger sort the ability to do this.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

And uh.. Rooms are a league across? So you need one hell of a bugle for that.

I don't like it.

Unless you trying to pull an NPC out of Ginka's ass when it wasn't there before, I don't see how this skill would be used unless it is just for RP, and if that is the case, we have emote.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Think rl.

Wind carries sound.

If one focuses, they can hear the "grunts" of a male buck in the wilds while hunting. These animals can be potential miles away, yet the wind can carry that sound to you, the hunter.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

It's been said again and again and again and again...rooms may -on average- be leagues across, but we have to let the code (throw and archery for example) comensate for thes averages for tha sake of playability.

I like the idea.  I think it should go in.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]