NPCs Picking Things Up

Started by Hoodwink, December 08, 2002, 03:53:45 PM

I'm just wondering why it is that NPCs in some places of the game instantly pick up any items you drop.  I've found a few nifty items which actually do something if you drop them, and while I'm willing to face a few thieves trying to steal it off the floor, I definately would prefer not to worry about NPCs instantly snatching it.  Is it only in taverns, soldier NPCs, how does this work?  It seems some NPCs do, some don't, but I'm afraid to find out for fear of losing some items.

Hoodwink

Some NPCs do, some don't. Some pick it up straight away, others don't. I've only seen an elf pick up items and I figure it's IC for elves too. There are plenty of areas you can safely go not to have NPCs steal them, in fact the number of NPCs that don't pick things up far outweigh the number that do.

This is very annoying and leads to weird ass happenenings.

OMG - 7 year old thread.

You are an uber thread necromancer.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

A 7-year bump.

That's impressive, especially for such a tiny thread.

But, I do find it slightly obnoxious for some NPC's to insta-grab anything on the floor. Elves snatching things off the ground is pretty... Expected - But I don't like it when I see NPC's carrying things they wouldn't normally carry around - Like a raptor carrying two baobab logs - etwo'ing a lumber axe. >.>
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I once saw a raptor wearing ALL the things worn by the hunter it had killed, once the corpse had disappeared.

Nothing like seeing a raptor as a "hooded figure" wielding a flail.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 07, 2009, 08:27:17 PM
I once saw a raptor wearing ALL the things worn by the hunter it had killed, once the corpse had disappeared.

Nothing like seeing a raptor as a "hooded figure" wielding a flail.

Clever girl...

I kid you not:

A character of mine was once dragging a barrel through a city street, because it weighed too much for her.

An NPC (human, mind you), nonchalantly picked it up, after my character had come into the room, obliviously dragging it along.

I kind of half wanted to wish up and report the NPC to the nearby soldier as a thief.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Over a year ago:

I was bludgeoned and stabbed by animals packing slingshot pebbles and arrows that hit them (and some that didn't hit them). A tregil bludgeoning you on the head is not fun.

I witnessed the beggar near the Trader's pick up someone's rug. The staff was kind enough to animate said beggar and run around with the rug while we chased him down, which was fun.

I saw a raptor carrying around a new Allanak character's equipment, wielding a sword. It felt so H&S-like to loot coins from an animal.

It's amusing at times, and annoying at others, and I think we would benefit from just seeing that script go away.

Once dropped a bag inside the RS stable, only to have an NPC pick it up. I wished up. The NPC got animated and dropped the bag, which got picked up by a "second" NPC. Then the two NPCs dickered it out, untill finally I ended up buyinng the frigging bag away from both of them. Was funny, but ... kind of annoying.

What about the woman in Tuluk who steals your hitched mounts when you walk by her? She's fun too  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I've had a couple of fun scenes due to the beggar outside the Trader's picking something up.  But, yeah, I agree that generally it is annoying.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I saw a Kuraci Sarge in Luir's Outpost gets his sword stolen when he tried to subdue someone and dropped it.

Sidenote: It does make me want to see the tregil fear-script run on some PCs when combat breaks out around them, especially characters with a completely non-combat background.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 07, 2009, 08:39:34 PM
I witnessed the beggar near the Trader's pick up someone's rug. The staff was kind enough to animate said beggar and run around with the rug while we chased him down, which was fun.

you're welcome
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Dar on November 07, 2009, 08:42:19 PM
Once dropped a bag inside the RS stable, only to have an NPC pick it up. I wished up. The NPC got animated and dropped the bag, which got picked up by a "second" NPC. Then the two NPCs dickered it out, untill finally I ended up buyinng the frigging bag away from both of them. Was funny, but ... kind of annoying.
[/color]

I can feel your pain, I can't even count how many times that's happened to me. It's bad enough it's the stables, but it's just about any darn npc in RS.
What night, dark or bright with stars, doesn't bring our love to life, even as we sleep?

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 07, 2009, 07:08:33 PM
Like a raptor carrying two baobab logs - etwo'ing a lumber axe. >.>

Try three raptors, one wielding a maul.  Ouch.

Quote from: Rotten on November 09, 2009, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 07, 2009, 07:08:33 PM
Like a raptor carrying two baobab logs - etwo'ing a lumber axe. >.>

Try three raptors, one wielding a maul.  Ouch.

Next time I ride through raptor country, I'm gonna leave a trail of crutches.  (Yes, you can wield them; no, you shouldn't.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

One time I had a 'rinthi PC of mine get stopped and questioned by a certain one-eyed templar outside of Trader's. "Lemme see 'at pack" he says. I hand it over, he searches it and finds nothing (thank you myriad wearable items that work as containers!) and tosses it at my knees. Sure enough, the beggar's script kicks in and it's good-bye pack. Luckily, an imm was watching because not one second after the templar's like "give 'im back th' pack", the beggar ingratiatingly goes "just keepin' it safe from thieves I was, Great Lord." I had a good chuckle there. My point is, sometimes it's pretty entertaining when it's not annoying/makes no fucking sense.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

It is, I agree. It's nice when staff are around and can make a joke/interesting scene out of it, but when you're an off peak player 9 times out of 10 it's just a shitty inconvienance that makes you almost want to wait for nightfall to gank the NPC and get your crap back.

... almost  ;)