Nitty, nitty, nitty

Started by The Kank's Nit, August 28, 2004, 02:28:55 AM

This one's pretty minor.  I've noticed a lot of descriptions in which the sentences all start with the same word.  It flows a lot better and gives more variety when you try to start each sentence with a different word.  Also, it's best not to start off with "You see..."

This one is not minor.  Please keep ooc to a minimum and use it only when absolutely needed.  When I see over three ooc's in a play session it makes me unhappy.

Also, do not suggest that someone "sleep" when they're bleeding all over the place.  While code-wise it's correct, rp-wise it isn't.

Please remember that it perfectly all right to hate elves and half-elves and that if you are one of those, you will be hated.  This is normal.  Liking those races off the bat is unusual.

The sleep part can, in some cases, be the -only- way your character will recover from bleeding. As such, sometimes you'll just have to deal with people using it.

Having said that, people who are bleeding enough that they need to invoke the sleep command can add a touch of "realistic" RP into it. The bleeding is so bad that they pass out from bloodloss. They look at the blood after their fight and pass out because they're covered in blood and weren't expecting it. The fight was SO intense that it was an adrenaline rush, and now that it's over, everything stops too abruptly and they pass out from that.

Lots of ways to emote it out, and remember you can change your ldesc to reflect that you're not "sleeping" - you're "unconscious."

That reminds me of something, I've never liked the fact that the code defaults to:
The blah-blah dude is sleeping here.

Of course you can change your ldesc, and I use it all the time anyway but, I think it would be better if the code defaulted to:
The blah-blah dude lies here. (or something like that) when unconscious or asleep.

It just doesn't make sense that at a glance, from several rooms away you can tell that they are sleeping or unconscious.

Just something that has always bothered me.

*shrug*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Bestatte"The sleep part can, in some cases, be the -only- way your character will recover from bleeding. As such, sometimes you'll just have to deal with people using it.

The complaint wasn't with sleepers, that I could read, but with people who prescribe sleep to ail wounds.  Better to let the bleeder 'pass out' as you put it.

Isn't sleep actually a bad thing when someone's losing a lot of blood?

I dunno. I thought that was only if someone had a concussion, that sleep was a bad thing. I do know that when you sleep, your blood pressure drops. This -might- contribute to bleeding slowing down - which would be a good thing if I understand it right.

It doesn't matter all that much anyway though, since the world of Armageddon probably isn't medically advanced enough to know about that kinda thing. For all we know, the general populace would believe that sleep really CAN cure all wounds. It's probably one of those things that's best left up to the individual to RP. As long as they're actually RPing it and not just automatically typing "sleep" to get their HPs to go back up.

Quote from: "Bestatte"It doesn't matter all that much anyway though, since the world of Armageddon probably isn't medically advanced enough to know about that kinda thing.

How much medical advancement does it take for a civilization to pick up on the fact that more people who fall asleep after some major trauma die than those who don't?  I'm not saying it's a given that they'd know, since medieval and ancient medical practices were full of all sorts of mistakes, but they also had some things they were right on.

QuoteFor all we know, the general populace would believe that sleep really CAN cure all wounds.

C'mon, telling someone who has had their head nearly chopped off to sleep is just cheesy and based 100% on knowing that codewise, that's the cure.  This rationale is the same as saying that maybe people who hunt without rest for 4 IC days straight are doing it because they believe that it will bring them luck on the hunt.

QuoteIt's probably one of those things that's best left up to the individual to RP. As long as they're actually RPing it and not just automatically typing "sleep" to get their HPs to go back up.

I don't think the original poster was talking about the wounded person, just the people who are going:

say You look hurt, go sleep.

Ah - okay. Well, I really do still think it depends on the situation. We have general anasthetics in the game, but they're risky, and in some cases can cause more harm than good. We can roleplay holding still while the physician cauterizes the wound with a burning stick, but it won't do the patient any good if he's bleeding too much and code-wise NEEDS to use the sleep command to get better.

I'd say if a person is in that bad shape...then there are plenty of ways to explain his need to use the sleep command.

1) Passing out from pain/shock/trauma/bloodloss

2) Introduce one of the various herbs/poisons/cures/liquors that cause a character (code-wise or not code-wise, it doesn't really matter) to fall into a deep sleep so that the physician can work on him without worrying that the patient will jerk around and tear the wound open too quickly.

3) Assume that someone in THAT bad condition couldn't possibly be conscious and just kindly ignore the fact that he typed "sleep" to reflect that he isn't conscious at all. This could be very useful for newbies who are "mortally wounded" and don't understand the severity of this until someone tactfully points it out to them. I've seen it happen - someone walking around mortally wounded, asking where can they get a broadsword - someone says "Err..you realize you won't be able to hold the broadsword because half your arm was just ripped off, right?" And the newbie assess himself, realizes he -should- be just about dropping dead at that moment, and types "sleep" to correct his error. It's kinda cute to see it :)

Quote from: "Bestatte"Stuff

Yeah, I agree with all that.  My PC's pass out from wounds all the time.  It's not a big deal to me if people type sleep at the drop of a hat, but a lot of the time people don't realize they aren't getting all the RP value out of a situation until someone points it out.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"I've noticed a lot of descriptions in which the sentences all start with the same word.

And the author of said descriptions is probably 14 years old and new to the game.  Not everyone is at the same skill level when it comes to writing.  It's all good.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"Also, it's best not to start off with "You see..."

I don't think it's good to tell the reader how they feel, but to say "You see", well, OF COURSE YOU SEE!  You're the one looking at them!  I don't think this is necessarily bad form, as you suggest.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"Please keep ooc to a minimum and use it only when absolutely needed. When I see over three ooc's in a play session it makes me unhappy.

I have had staff use more than 3 OOCs in a row.  If you're using it in a busy tavern, it's probably best to minimize it, yeah.  But if you're trying to schedule a clan RPT or ask how to use a certain command while in a private room, that ain't no big thing, my friend.  So it really depends on the situation at hand.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"Also, do not suggest that someone "sleep" when they're bleeding all over the place. While code-wise it's correct, rp-wise it isn't.

I don't mean to nitpick your post here, buddy, but what are you trying to say exactly?  That if someone sleeps to regain health we should pretend they are awake?  I dunno man, I sure as shit am going to roleplay that they are indeed asleep since ... they are asleep.  But maybe you were saying something else?  Please clarify.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"Please remember that it perfectly all right to hate elves and half-elves and that if you are one of those, you will be hated. This is normal. Liking those races off the bat is unusual.

Who says otherwise?  If I'm a half-elf and you're snubbing me IC, even if I respond negatively that doesn't mean "I don't know half-elves are supposed to be shunned", rather, it means I'm merely responding the way I would normally respond to it.  Just because a race of people are discriminated against doesn't mean they have to like it or bow in submission to your accosting them (though if you're a templar, that's something else.)

And I'm gonna have to be completely honest and straight forward with you here, my man, but try to appreciate me for my brutal honesty, OK?  For someone who seems to nitpick other players a great deal, you sure need to proofread.  Isn't it like calling the kettle black when you're sentances are not clear and mispelled while you instruct others how to do the same?  Serious dude, I ain't trying to be a jackass about this or anything, but that is what you're doing..  Oh well.  Peace out.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"I have had staff use more than 3 OOCs in a row.  If you're using it in a busy tavern, it's probably best to minimize it, yeah.  But if you're trying to schedule a clan RPT or ask how to use a certain command while in a private room, that ain't no big thing, my friend.  So it really depends on the situation at hand.

I've seen people recently using OOC in taverns for cutesy chit chat.  It's annoying but what are you going to do?  It didn't make my head fell off so I just ignored it.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"This one's pretty minor.  I've noticed a lot of descriptions in which the sentences all start with the same word.  It flows a lot better and gives more variety when you try to start each sentence with a different word.  Also, it's best not to start off with "You see..."

I know I'm not the best writer and maybe a few others who play the game can say the same thing about themselves. I just think as long as it spellchecked and maybe grammar checked most descriptions are fine. But, hey, I'm pretty easy going.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"Please remember that it perfectly all right to hate elves and half-elves and that if you are one of those, you will be hated.

Hardly.
Back from a long retirement

'Hate' is such a strong word. Why does it always have to be hate?

Try..

Disdain
Disrespect
Mistrust
Apathy
Dislike
Annoyance
Disgust
Morbid curiosity

...and many more....

Plus, that doesn't even begin to cover the myriad reactions one could have, based on character background and personality, after one has interacted with the target elf/halfelf for a length of time. Those could range all over the board, from the worst to the best.  What I mean to say is, the guidelines should be followed, and stuck to, but they are not black and white. They are grey, with plenty of flexibility.

Also, like Pantfluffy said, just because they respond negatively to being "hated" doesn't mean they're not fully expecting the reaction they got. Maybe they're just nasty little snits? Maybe they're roleplaying out their character the way they're supposed to, based on motivations and experiences you don't know about after five seconds (and maybe not even five weeks) of interacting with them. Imagine that!

OOC? Yeah, it should be kept to a minimum. It should never be used for cutsey chit-chat. That said, though I really hate having to break scene, it's necessary in some occasions - time schedule, code snafus - and I'm hardly going to feel guilty about using it when I have to.

I don't want to come off rude, however I can't help but sitting here reading this thread thinking, "What have you people accomplished by having this arguement over the flexibility of the rules?" I don't see why most of you bother wasting your time getting into a discussion regarding rules that have been in place for over a year and more. Every time I come onto this board I see nothing but whinny players pathetically trying to set their decision regarding any subject into the heads of other players. The rules have been clearly set on the ArmageddonMUD website, the guidelines for each class are readily available for all to see along with the wealth of information any player should need to know to play correctly among this MUD. The Kank's Nit, you are in no position to be telling anyone how to even attempt to roleplay any type of situation on this MUD hence your lack of Staff membership. You don't like something, email the MUD in regards to your complaint and if something needs to be done, I'm quite positive the Immortal Staff will handle it correctly. Your post is nothing more than a specific attempt to cause some type of arguement possibly leading into flaming and the locking of another post thus making the General Discussion Board much more distasteful to browse by other players and/or newbies visiting the board. Some of you people should try learning to lead by example rather than coming here, complaining and pathetically whinning about something so worthless such as your comment pertaining to "sleeping."

Enjoy your afternoon

- Xerokine
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

OK, the suggestion on paragraphs was just that.  A suggestion.  

On the sleeping:
What I saw was a person doing their best to play out that they were hurt and trying to find a doctor and someone said "Oh, well go to sleep."  The lot of us did our best to look at the person telling the wounded to sleep like he was the king of dumbasses.  I'm trying to say that while sleeping is correct codewise, don't tell someone who's looking for a doctor and holding their intestines in to take a nap.  I think the wounded person realized what he needed to do but I've seen the "go to sleep" so many times over these years it's reached it's breaking point.

The OOC was cutesy chit-chat and things that could have been handled ICly.  And that's really my biggest problem.  When you're trying to organize an RP event, having to go OOC for a bit isn't a problem.  When you're in the middle of playing IC, seeing someone going OOC needlessly is aggravating.  OOC for a bit of help on the other hand, is all right by me.  

As far as the discrimination goes, my complaint is with the humans who like to walk up and go "You're an elf!  Yay!"  In the past week, I've seen about ten different humans doing this and I'm not counting the ones who clearly have had a working connection with said elf/half-elf.

Xerokine, I am doing my best to lead by example, but I'm also getting old and crabby.  Hence the irritated tone of my post.  People seem to have missed certain things that have been laid out and established.  In fact, the only thing I wasn't truly bitching about was the desc writing.  One was in fact clearly young (and trying very hard) and the other wasn't a native English speaker.  The grammar and spelling were pretty good, but it was still an akward read.  Sorry I attempted to make a helpful suggestion.

Have a nice afternoon.

Quote from: "The Kank's Nit"As far as the discrimination goes, my complaint is with the humans who like to walk up and go "You're an elf!  Yay!"  In the past week, I've seen about ten different humans doing this and I'm not counting the ones who clearly have had a working connection with said elf/half-elf.

Still, you could have phrased it better.  Not to nit-pick or anything.
Back from a long retirement

Telling an injured person to go sleep might be a little odd.  However, telling the injured person to go lay down would be sensible (unless they have concussion).  If you are laying down then you won't be stressing your injuries, you're heart rate and blood pressure will decrease, slowing bleeding.  Laying down is good advice.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteThe Kank's Nit wrote:
Also, do not suggest that someone "sleep" when they're bleeding all over the place. While code-wise it's correct, rp-wise it isn't.

And I'd like to remind everybody that the bleeding messages are NOTHING but OOC reference to what kind of shape that person is in, not that they are Actually "bleeding all over the place".

If your pc gets dehydrated to the point that they begin losing HP eventually it gets to the point of "bleeding heavily, bleeding profusely" Are they? No. There are as many, if not more ways to get to the bleeding messages WITHOUT bleeding then there are ones with.

I once saw a pc dying of poison in a tavern, and everybody could see what the problem was and it had nothing to do with bleeding yet 3 PC's told the dying one to go bleed someplace else...Man, I'd love to get rid of the bleeding messages and replace them with the excelent, good, fair, poor, terrible, near death and maybe mortally wounded. Least then telling somebody to get some sleep might not seem that bad.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah. I'd like to see it changed to:

The man stands here, looking relatively fit.
The man stands here, in moderate condition.
The man stands here, not looking well.
The man stands here, in poor condition.
The man stands here, in terrible condition.
The man stands here, looking near death.

Or something similar to that. Anything but the bleeding messages.