Weapon break

Started by Ghost, August 25, 2004, 12:51:38 PM

Someone had to do this:

I think we need a code that allows a save vs break for weapons.  Through all my characters, I only saw once, that a weapon shattered.  And that was against a mekillot's back (Yeah I lost that char that time)
This event was an illustration, that a weapon can be broken.  But I think, even if there is a code for weapon's chance of break, then it is so low a probability, that it is far from realistic.

But think about it.  Realistically, every blow in hand-to-hand gives a chance for the weapon to break.  In history, I know at least one general, going to battle with at least four swords.  And in one of the wars, all of his swords shattered one by one, and he had to fall back and grab another sword.
Those were all steel swords.

Now we have different kinds of materials (bone, obsidian, stone, wood) that are used in weapon crafting. Each of these raw materials can be set with a different toughness.  And there can also be weapon categories: Huge, Large, medium sized, small, tiny.  And with a combination of these categories, each weapon can have a certain chance of break after a blow.

If it is not getting too complicated, there can also be additional combat modifiers:  Parry, shield block, armor block, success, dodge.
And lets say:  dodge nullifies the chance of break; shield block increases the chance of break, and so does armor block; success decreases the chance of block. (I am not an expert in hand-to-hand combats, so I might be wrong in these assumptions.  But I believe you got the general idea here)

Here, we can have an importance of "speacial order" weapons.  So some of the special weapons can be extra enduring against the breaking.

Now the next stage, there can also be a chance of damaging the armor.  But I believe this was mentioned in one of the past threads, related to shield-use and damaging shields.  (And I believe, I posted that thread. :P )

If all of this is too hard to code, we can at least have a certain set of chance for weapons break.  5% of chance, for example, is a sound one for me.  (And in DnD Darksun, it is also 5% for a weapons break)

Alright..  I am done.  I dont think I need to explain how good it will be to have such an addition.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I've broken quite a few weapons.  One character, who wasn't even a half-giant, routinely shattered weapons.  Some of said weapons were pretty expensive, too.

All in all, though, I'm just not sure what you want.   More weapon breakage?  Less?

Edited to add:

I have also had various pieces of armor worn down to uselessness, some in a single fight - again, no half-giants involved.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I've had several weapons break and seen several broken by other characters, I think it's just fine the way it is.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

There is a breakage code on weapons depending on how old they are, how strong you are, what the weapon is made of, and I can assume what you are fighting. Certain races will probably break weapons a lot easier then others just as certain materials will break more easily than others. I agree with all above, I don't think it needs to be changed.

What I would like to see is more visible damage on weapons, similar to shields and armor. Maybe after a while your weapon would get a worn flag, or a dull flag and have less coded success. Just as there is armor repair, I would like to see weapon repair as well or perhaps tools to help sharpen blades.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I've seen two metal weapons break, man that made me want to cry.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

My non-half-giants have broken more weapons then I even care to try and remember, and my half-giants...well, I get really cheap weapons for them, muls break a lot too, definitly do not need more breakage.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'm all for weapons breaking more often.  I'm talking about breaking for low-strength characters. Half-giants and muls are fine like they are now.

Weapons should break semi-regularly.  I'm not talking about once per fight, or even once every 10 fights.   But having your weapon break more often would be a good thing.  You can easily buy a good weapon for 50-100 sids, so it won't cause much suffering and it would be more realistic and better reflect the documentation.  Not to mention improving the economy.

The same thing goes for armor.  There's even an armor-repair skill, which no one ever uses because armor rarely wears down.  But you can wear the same pieces of armor through hundreds of fights and unless it is a sheild it'll still be as good as the day you bought it.

QuoteWeapons should break semi-regularly. I'm not talking about once per fight, or even once every 10 fights. But having your weapon break more often would be a good thing. You can easily buy a good weapon for 50-100 sids, so it won't cause much suffering and it would be more realistic and better reflect the documentation. Not to mention improving the economy.

The same thing goes for armor. There's even an armor-repair skill, which no one ever uses because armor rarely wears down. But you can wear the same pieces of armor through hundreds of fights and unless it is a sheild it'll still be as good as the day you bought it.

First, weapons break LOTS, more then semi-regularly, I've yet to have a char that did not break weapons, even the very low strength ones.

And as for the armor, what are you fighting, nothing but gimpka rats and vestric? You fight things that hit hard, your armor wears out and wears out quick, and I'm not talking about mekillots, I'm talking scrab, giant beetles, duskhorn, raptors, gith, other pc's etc etc, hell, My char has armor that he has only had for 10 hours of play and some is used and cracked already.

Go hunt 100 raptor or tembo and never get your armor repaired and see what your armor looks like.

A hundred sparring fights in the byn does not count.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I would certianly like to see worn, cracked, etc flags for weapons...

Additionally, as I think I have said, I would like to see armor actually break.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "X-D"First, weapons break LOTS, more then semi-regularly, I've yet to have a char that did not break weapons, even the very low strength ones.

Through, around ten characters, I only have seen one weapon being shattered, including the PCs that I fought along, fought against, met etc..

That is why, indeed, I started this thread.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I would certianly like to see worn, cracked, etc flags for weapons...

Additionally, as I think I have said, I would like to see armor actually break.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I haven't seen a weapon break in a good long time.  I'd like to see the material of the weapon start to have some affects on it.  Obsidian shatters easily.

And yes.  A half-giant's club to your chest should do some damage to that flimsy breastplate.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger