Smuggling - "You stuck that spice WHERE?"

Started by Malifaxis, August 18, 2004, 04:13:58 PM

Quote from: daedroug on December 04, 2009, 03:52:53 PM
There are a few far more interesting ways of smuggling things into Allanak with out adding any code, or exploiting the existing code, (some of which can be done by anyone) it's just a matter of figuring/finding out how to.

However I do like the idea of modifying the search code to be random searches however I'd say it should be more like 50/50 or 70/30 rather then 90/10. In all honesty in todays terms Allanak isn't -that- big. I also like the extra bit of flavor that having every elf searched adds.

I agree with the second paragraph. But the first statement lends itself to OOC abuse. Ie, I know these ways in (as a mundane, there are more if you're a mage) but should I know them character to character? Something skill based is preferable I think.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on December 04, 2009, 07:10:22 PM
There are a few far more interesting ways of smuggling things into Allanak with out adding any code, or exploiting the existing code, (some of which can be done by anyone) it's just a matter of figuring/finding out how to.

However I do like the idea of modifying the search code to be random searches however I'd say it should be more like 50/50 or 70/30 rather then 90/10. In all honesty in todays terms Allanak isn't -that- big. I also like the extra bit of flavor that having every elf searched adds.

I agree with the second paragraph. But the first statement lends itself to OOC abuse. Ie, I know these ways in (as a mundane, there are more if you're a mage) but should I know them character to character? Something skill based is preferable I think.
Skill based seems just more boring to me. It's kind of like

think hmmm ok I wanna smuggle this spice in.
smuggle spice
think Yay!

Although the present ways are susceptible to previous knowledge, it's still certainly more interesting and takes more planning then that.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: daedroug on December 04, 2009, 07:44:18 PM
Quote from: jmordetsky on December 04, 2009, 07:10:22 PM

True enough - though with this system the weight and size of what you are attempting to smuggle can be taken into account. Therefore - existing channels wouldn't be make obsolete if you were planning serious action + movement. But for a pinch here or a not there, a conceal command might be cool

Skill based seems just more boring to me. It's kind of like

think hmmm ok I wanna smuggle this spice in.
smuggle spice
think Yay!

Although the present ways are susceptible to previous knowledge, it's still certainly more interesting and takes more planning then that.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I like the idea of the smuggle skill, or of a new verb "conceal" that works off of slight-of-hand.

Heh, I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. However, I have to point out that it wouldn't make much of a difference to have an actual smuggling skill. We all know how pitiful skills are when they start out....everyone with this skill would die the first time they tried to use it.

He does have  REALLY good point there  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It could improve whenever someone looks at you...  :-[

But all you bad, bad twinks out there who want to get decent at your skills could easily practice this with another PC, or just always keep a weapon hidden so that it gets exercised every time you're arrested for something else.

C'mon, it can't be harder to train than ARCHERY.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: morrigan on December 05, 2009, 08:27:59 AM
We all know how pitiful skills are when they start out....

That's why I say key it off of slight-of-hand, but your point stands. Like many other skills, it should be a binary thing -- you can smuggle by virtue of char-gen or you can't.

Quote from: number13 on December 05, 2009, 11:04:09 AM
Quote from: morrigan on December 05, 2009, 08:27:59 AM
We all know how pitiful skills are when they start out....

That's why I say key it off of slight-of-hand, but your point stands. Like many other skills, it should be a binary thing -- you can smuggle by virtue of char-gen or you can't.
The thing is even if they where to add code to aid in smuggling there are still the original and imho more interesting ways of smuggling things. My suggestion is that if you really want to smuggle something talk to someone in game that would know how to do it.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Female PCs should have a bonus to smuggle.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: daedroug on December 05, 2009, 11:10:01 AM
The thing is even if they where to add code to aid in smuggling there are still the original and imho more interesting ways of smuggling things. My suggestion is that if you really want to smuggle something talk to someone in game that would know how to do it.

I know how to do it.  I still think a smuggler skill would be more interesting.

December 05, 2009, 03:25:43 PM #36 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:30:36 PM by Gunnerblaster
smuggle tube

You attempt to hide a tube of spice on yourself.

If your in the same room, and the PC in question fails the smuggle attempt or your actively scanning/watching, you see this:

You notice: the tall, muscular man attempts to conceal a tube of spice.

Just another skill like hide, except for equipment. The smaller the item, the easier it is to smuggle.

Skilled:
>look

Big Gates [N S F W]
Large, guarded gates are here.
A guard is here.
the tall, muscular man stands here.

Unskilled
>look

Big Gates [N S F W]
Large, guarded gates are here.
A guard is here.
the tall, muscular man stands here.
  -He is attempting to conceal something.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Just base it off of sleight of hand for simplicity.

Example:
>slip tube
You attempt to conceal a half of a tube of spice.

>inv
You are carrying:
a half of a tube of spice (concealed)

Depending on how skillful your attempt was, people won't see it when they 'peek', and gate guards won't see your water/contraband when you step in. Could be useful for bringing weapons to jail too. Should be compatible with pre-emotes and post-emotes.

The way I've seen it done is not interesting; it's dumb. :-X Undoubtedly there are other ways.

But I think this is something that should be based off a skill, not a code puzzle.  If punk kids in real life can figure out how to hide stuff in their pants without consulting Learned Graybeards, so can anyone.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

December 05, 2009, 06:13:37 PM #39 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:15:33 PM by morrigan
When I was in jail, we couldn't take cigarettes into the holding cell while waiting to see the judge..so I used strings from my blanket and tied a few to a certain part of my body that no one would be seeing...

I know that almost sounds like a derail, but it's meant as an illustration of how easy it can be.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 05, 2009, 04:51:17 PM

The way I've seen it done is not interesting; it's dumb. :-X Undoubtedly there are other ways.

But I think this is something that should be based off a skill, not a code puzzle.  If punk kids in real life can figure out how to hide stuff in their pants without consulting Learned Graybeards, so can anyone.
The other ways aren't code puzzles they simple require IC knowledge of how to do it.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

Quick question though.... How well do you -really- think those guards search your pack?

They search damn near anyone and everyone that passes through the gates, so why shouldn't the current method work?

Not bashing anyone's work ethic here, but if the guards took the time to search every single bag and pack 100% all the way thoroughly, there'd be a huuuuuge line coming in and leaving the gates.

imo, i dont think soldiers are willing to check trousers.. So get some trousers and stick it between your crack, thats a good hiding place.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Quote from: Rogerthat on December 06, 2009, 02:20:13 AM
imo, i dont think soldiers are willing to check trousers.. So get some trousers and stick it between your crack, thats a good hiding place.

"What? No! The spice is supposed to smell like sweaty half-giant ass! It's a special kind, very rare."

You know the best thing about this idea? Allanak doesn't have ethical rights. Upskirt checks will rise 100%!
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Rogerthat on December 06, 2009, 02:20:13 AM
if they're really serious about it being illegal they'd check.
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams

There are so many things about this thread that I like I'd be hard pressed to name them all. I laughed, I sneered...I really enjoyed the post that intro'd with 'when I was in jail..' and I concur with Synthesis about lady folks getting a bonus.

However, I'm not big into training a skill for this. How about the search code is loosened somewhat or, assuming the punishment becomes more gentle as Malifaxis mentioned in passing, randomized. I know both of those were already mentioned, I'm just agreeing with the previous posters without bothering to quote and credit.

As many people say, it shouldn't be that hard. It should be easy. I used to sneak cigarettes into high school every day in an altoids box and they searched everyone's bag.

I know someone who has frequently flown with cocaine tucked into his sock. There are myriad real life solutions and the game world should perhaps reflect a bit more flexibility.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?