Why I Hate the Dusty Flags

Started by Pantoufle, August 18, 2004, 11:41:19 AM

The body of a dusty grass cilops lies crumpled on the dusty ground.

I remember digging up a pair of "dust-spattered" pants from a chest in the clan barracks once a long time ago.  The permanent sdesc was "dust spattered".  Now what happens when they become dusty?

A dusty pair of dust-spattered pants lies here.  What does that mean, exactly?

I just think it looks dumb.  For those of us who have played a while, we understand the inner workings of the code and why this phenomenon appears, but if I were a new player and I showed up, I would think it's a typo.

Am I just being anal?

Dusty should generally not be part of an object or NPC's description, since it is a variable state.  Typo the items. :P
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

People have been going through the database trying to remove collisions of sdescs and the state flags like this - feel free to typo stuff like "a pair of dust-covered pants", which was probably overlooked by the person grepping through on "dusty" when making changes.

I don't understand your first example at -all-.

QuoteThe body of a dusty grass cilops lies crumpled on the dusty ground.

Is this a complaint about the state flags?  I don' t think bodies get dusty, and the sdesc above looks as though it's consistently "a dusty grass cilops", which is its sdesc, just like "the dark man" or "the tall, bedraggled elf".  Similarly, "dusty ground" is part of totally different code, and not a state flag issue at all.

He was just saying that it's redundant, more than likely.  I blame the cilops' sdesc.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Well, in fairness, yeah, the first example doesn't apply to the dust code but it did catch my eye.

In any event, I wasn't aware staff was trying to remove dust keywords from certain items in order to avoid interference with the dust code, so I'll have to start typoing that when I find it.

No big thing, really.  Just felt like making a statement about dusty stuff.  I also never liked it because it looks kind of strange when I see an entire eq list with the word dusty before every single item.  It often makes me skip the entire list and the only word I pay any attention to is that glaring dusty add-on.  But that's just me.  I just find it rather spammy at times and think it might be neat to see something simpler like:

<insert mdesc here>
The sun-reddened, green-eyed man is in excellent condition.
The sun-reddened, green-eyed man is coated heavily in dust.

<eq. list WITHOUT adding the word dusty to every single item>

Probably not worth the effort to code, I know, but I still felt like throwing my opnion out there anyway.

To me, the "dusty" add-on is no more (or less) annoying than someone wearing all "kenku-embroidered jade" things, or "sun-sigilled black" things, or "dun-carved" things, or even "green silk" things for that matter. The good news about the dusty add-ons, is you can get rid of the dust without buying a new outfit :)

Quote from: "Bestatte"To me, the "dusty" add-on is no more (or less) annoying than someone wearing all "kenku-embroidered jade" things, or "sun-sigilled black" things, or "dun-carved" things, or even "green silk" things for that matter. The good news about the dusty add-ons, is you can get rid of the dust without buying a new outfit

Hah hah!  Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.  Guild clothes, Tor clothes, etc.  I really can't stand seeing the same word spammed over and over repeatedly.  When I try picturing what that must look like, in my head, I have a very silly image in mind.  But someone clad entirely in green is one thing, seeing the same exact, precise series of keywords in every single item for an entire page of eq. is something else.  Like that horribly gaudy ruby-red scorpion armor.  I want to pkill them strictly because of their attire.  Maybe someone should implement a command to dust away the scorpion and kenku embroidery etc. from their outfit?  :lol:

It could be an interesting focus for a dwarf: To collect the biggest ball of red embroidery thread in the known world. This would require, of course, that he unravel all the red embroidery from peoples' clothing. What fun!

The feature for things to get "Dusty" is new in comparison to alot of the database. So yes, some items still have dusty, bloody, etc, in their sdesc. Feel free to typo them as someone said above.