Author Topic: What -is- a "Zalanthan name?"  (Read 10525 times)

Gwoshi

What -is- a "Zalanthan name?"
« on: August 17, 2004, 07:06:50 PM »
Some time ago.. I found this really nifty program that generated random names via a very intelligent method. Called EBoN, or... the Everchanging Book of Names. Part of this highly versatile program is the ability to write your own "chapters," that is, name lists that reflect a certain world or language. So.. I thought to appeal to young and old players alike to share their Zalanthan names so that I could work on a list (or more).

If you feel the name is better suited to a certain race, area, gender, etc, please note that. If there is enough of them for each, I can compile separate lists.

Thanks for your help!

tortall

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 12:52:15 PM »
I just tend to randomly stick letters togeather until I get something that looks like a name:
(Please note these are ones I JUST came up with and I have NOT used)
Henisha(Pronounced: Hen-ee-sha, F)
Kayrod(M)
Aintish(Either M or F)
Lernisha(Pron:Ler-nish-uh, F)
Quanols(Pron: Qua-n-o(say the letter o)-lus, M)

-Tortall, who loves making up strange and random names.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Kankman

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:30:18 PM »
Someone that I can't remember made an Armageddon name generator using the method you've described of collecting player's old PC names. As far as I can recall, he had a horrible response because nobody wanted him or anyone else to know all the character that they've played.. I think it was Master Z or something. John would know. Anyways, I believe the thread where the link was posted got archived and if I wasn't ultra-super-uber-lazy kankman then I'd search it out for you.

If nobody turns it up, its still a great idea and something that would be really useful when linked on the Armageddon site somewhere.

Gilvar

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 11:00:11 PM »
I think the problem was that they came out looking like lumps of letters because there is no Zalanthan name. Names are typically random, with people borrowing from books, TV, or their imaginations.

Lazloth

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 11:07:53 PM »
Quote from: "Kankman"
I think it was Master Z or something.

It was powered by a letter reordering algorithm and created by Tony.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

crymerci

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 11:11:52 PM »
I believe it was Tony who came up with the name generator.  It wasn't perfect (perhaps it might have been with a larger namefile) but I did use it a few times for ideas.

I generally tend to take a name from a generator or list, and alter it a bit to come up with something new, or combine two different names together in an unusual combination.

I also always know what my next character's name will start with.  For example, my next character's name will begin with a D.  Anyway, the first letter is something to start with.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Linedel

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 12:02:36 AM »
Hm... I have a 250 line list of names my previous character had collected that I could remove sdescs and notes from and post... from about 1996, given the blessing of someone with the authorization to give blessing, or if one of them authorizers would like a copy themselves...  (This file has a few current street names in it, and a few others that bring back a good amount of nostalgia, a decent historical list for the real-time year or so after the end of dual wielding bronze maces...)

Gilvar

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 12:11:44 AM »
I have a 250 line list of names my previous character had collected that I could remove sdescs and notes from and post... from about 1996, given the blessing of someone with the authorization to give blessing, or if one of them authorizers would like a copy themselves

It would be alot easier to just go to a random name generator site and print out a list, since those would have just as much a chance and likelihood of being a 'zalanthan name' then any in a list you've collected, since as I said, most names are either random from their own imagination, from a book, TV, or any of a number of other sources and not exclusive to the game.

Gwoshi

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 12:18:21 AM »
Hmmm... ok. About the issue of people not wanting to share their list of previous characters, I wasn't actually thinking along those lines. Currently, I have a tiny list of names taken from the timeline. I can fall back on the short list of plants, animals, and herbs from the website if push comes to shove. Any name you've run across whether in play or just randomly that struck you as being a worthy name of a character here.

As for what is Zalanthan.. obviously there's no official book on that. But players obviously have their own impressions of what fits the flavor of the mud. I've read old posts where it was even discussed.  So people must have an idea.

Linedel, if you'd be willing to share that list with me (characters I would be certain to NOT know), that'd be a great start. Adding gender to each name would also be helpful.

Thanks to everyone who's already helped me out with this!

crymerci

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:30:46 AM »
I do think that there is a distinctly Zalanthan flavor to the names we choose.  I wouldn't ever name a character Morgawfyr, Arabella, or Gwenalia, or any of those other high-fantasy type names.  I suspect most people feel the same.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 11:49:36 AM »
Linedel, I'd love to see that list of names, myself.  If you want to post it here, that's fine.

Pantoufle

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 12:03:09 PM »
A Zalanthan name is any name not found in the real world.  Nothing pisses me off more than when I meet some merchant named after a Hollywood movie star, or a noblewoman named after an extremely common religious icon in Christianity or some rugged merecenary named after a character from Baldur's Gate.  It's actually against the rules of character generation but it happens all the time.  I remember years ago when I first started here making a "Julian" and the name got rejected due to it being a real world name.  Since then I have seen a plethora of real world names, many of which are far more commonplace than "Julian".  A few examples of names that should definately not be found in Arm (in my opinion) are: Marsellus, Marie, Ihsahn, Marcus, Armand ... shit!  wasn't there even a Thrain once?  Like, what, Thrain son of Thror from Middle Earth?  Anyway, I don't think it takes too much effort to create an original, unique name for your characters.  Call me an uptight, anal, ornery bastard (I don't mind), but that's just how I feel.  :shock:

And please, PLEASE, no more templars named after characters from Dragon Ball Z.

Pantoufle

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 12:18:54 PM »
Quote from: "Pantoufle"
...or some rugged merecenary named after a character from Baldur's Gate.

Oh, and that reminds me!  Yes, Kivan, this means you too.  Betcha thought you slipped by us on that one, you chaotic good elven ranger, you.  Don't think because you're an imm you can get away with it!

Sorry, I've always wanted to say that  :oops:.

Krath

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 12:20:42 PM »
And please, PLEASE, no more templars named after characters from Dragon Ball Z.

Hehehe that is awesome.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Larrath

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 12:29:13 PM »
The brawny, brawny blond templar has arrived from the north.

The brawny, brawny blond templar plants his feet firmly into the ground.

Holding his hands forward as he crouches, the brawny, brawny blond templar exclaims, in sirihish:
"Ka-me-ha-me-ha!"

The brawny, brawny blond templar looks down at an elf-shaped pile of ash and turns away, smirking wickedly.

Zalanthan names, to me, are a mishmash.  I think the lower-classes should all have short and simple names, sometimes nicknames or just nouns.  Meanwhile, the nobility and merchants should all be having longer and more complex names.

I'd give you a list of names, but you know all of the characters I would bring up.  I could up a list of Zalanthan names I think are really good, but you probably don't need me for that.

I like to see names with a more arabian feel to them, generally.  No Ahmeds or anything like that, but those 'Kh' sounds that you people just can't ever pronounce are always good for an exotic feel.  Throaty names are good.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Gwoshi

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 04:24:31 PM »
A Zalanthan name is any name not found in the real world.

So... this does mean I should strike "Amos" from my list of names? ::snicker::

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 04:39:53 PM »
The problem is...

...there's a lot of possible names found out there in the real world.  Particularly when you're including literature and sf/fantasy in there.  We don't all have the same base to work from - I'm not going to catch DragonballZ names, for example, because I don't watch it.  I'll catch obscure references to the HP Lovecraft mythos, perhaps, but the next person won't - they may be well-versed in Celtic mythology instead.

Here's how the staff guideline goes:

You can reject an application on the grounds of an unoriginal or outlandish name, but the best rule of thumb for this would be "Would the name be jarring if you ran across it in a fantasy novel?" Familiar fantasy names, such as Frodo, Drizzt, Merlin, etc, should be rejected, but use a grain of common sense and consider whether the source is something most players would know, as opposed to only those versed in ancient Sumerian verse.

I also don't like it when I run into names that are familiar to me from Tolkein or Martin or Hobb or whoever, but I'm not going to stop and OOCly berate them for it.  If it's too blatant and I'm the person approving it, I'll politely ask them to find another name, usually.

I disagree with some of what's being said, though.  There has been a tradition among the Allanak nobility for Latin sounding names, and I don't mind that trend, which creates a feeling of cohesion that is appealing, for example.  I like Larrath's idea of the simple commoner names vs. the fancified polysyllabic noble ones, but that's hard to enforce and fraught with problems.

Pantoufle

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 04:49:21 PM »
Quote from: "Sanvean"
I disagree with some of what's being said, though. There has been a tradition among the Allanak nobility for Latin sounding names, and I don't mind that trend, which creates a feeling of cohesion that is appealing, for example.

Does this mean my next character can be named Julian?  :lol:

Pantoufle

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 04:57:34 PM »
...and for the record, I don't mean to imply that I think every single name out there has to be 100% original.  I can tell you right now not all of mine have been.  Yes, some were obscure names from less-than-popular fantasy novels.  Certainly no Storm Brightblades and crap like that, but names that aren't likely going to be caught by most.  For example, how many of you will catch my reference if I made a character named Burzmali?  But I just think some names have too much of a real world scent .. and then some names just reek of Japanimation, but what can you do?

Julian Salarr, here I come!

JollyGreenGiant

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 05:47:10 PM »
Just to provide a bit of counterpoint, I think digging up names from civilizations that have some resemblances to Zalanthas is actually a good thing.  Babylon, Assyria, Rome, Sumeria, Persia and other such nations have a wealth of names to choose from that (at least in my opinion) fit the mold for what a Zalanthan name might sound like.  I'll toss one or two examples out there, but only names I don't intend to use ;)

Examples -
Tiglath-Pilesar
Nebuzaradan
Artaxerxes
Catullus

A few minutes with your favorite search engine or book of ancient history will likely uncover a wealth of obscure historical names that seem to fit the Zalanthan framework perfectly.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Pantoufle

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 06:20:03 PM »
Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"
I think digging up names from civilizations that have some resemblances to Zalanthas is actually a good thing.

Resemblances is one thing, completely stealing the name is something else.  I'm just saying, why name someone Marcus when you can still give it a Romanesque/Latin-sounding name that is also unique to the world of Zalanthas?  I think adopting certain name styles based off ancient cultures is nice, like taking the name Odysseus and turning it into Odyselus, or whatever .  But for me names like Mary and Armand (and, yes, Amos), while fitting with the atmosphere, are just too too real-world and could stand to be altered a bit, while still retaining the desired atmosphere.

I dunno, I guess it's no big thing, really.  I just prefer totally original names as a general rule.  To each his own.

DustMight

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 06:20:05 PM »
I agree with JGJ.  I like using Arabic, Hindu and Assyrian names with the occasional Greek or Roman one thrown in the mix.
There is one certainty in Zalanthas and that is death.

Mr.Camel

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 07:42:49 PM »
I find it quite jarring to see my cousin's name in Zalanthas, but I suppose I'm the only one bothered by it, so heh.

Miee

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 10:10:24 PM »
As I understand it, -my- name is in Zalanthas and I'm very annoyed by it.  To me, it just shouldn't be.

Also, it's -my- name and it's not even remotely a fantasy name.  It's an actual word and it bugs the hell out of me.

Because, mine, mine, mine.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

Eanroc

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 10:32:58 PM »
Tektolnes and Muk-Utep are Zalanthan.

Other than that, everything that has been mentioned.

Ammit

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 11:00:28 PM »
What about Luir? That's zalanthan too :P

I like to grab real life names and warp it. For example Feyel doesn't sound like a real life name does it? It's just Phil (F-eye-l, Ph-i-l). I also like taking words perhaps Chivalry and turn it into a zalanthan name. Shiffel.

Funnily enough, a lot of things that I consider zalanthan or armageddon-related are actually real life things I've just never found before, so my idea of what's zalanthan is also skewed by that ;)

Linedel

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 01:52:21 AM »
The ancient list.  Some bad names, some good.  Surnames deleted for the roughly 10% that had them.  Some NPCs left in (guards).  Some NPCs deleted (things that might be alive).  This list is biased towards about 3 clans, but that may or may not be obvious unless you were associated with them at that time.. and maybe 10-15% were templars.

Diamond
Shoka
Frithan
Attax
Londrev
Lyche
Kul
Symarralion
Gethin
Hian
Velour
Koma
Min
Leod
Aldane
Julian
Medichi
Xander
Rhydun
Tia
Mikka
Jervis
Valkor
Tuu
Lawrence
Dakeeta
D'Shen
Khervin
Rassak
Rucs
Tymar
Belya
Malov
Coni
Takhira
Jhur
Vendei
Hope
Kendra
Egan
Morgan
Kith
Grizt
Sarg
Alshek
Varg
Soldevi
Kane
Phaedrin
Yohar
Cleazgon
Mandolin
Apoc
Htanyal
Carlone
Blackblade
Valtioal
Zanix
Zathvex
Derius
Knute
Qarnas
Rayna
Khann
Phife
Mast
Jinna
Red
Isgrimner
Deinol
Kaag
Naxos
Rals
Ash
Vhasnet
Gzahir
Rimmer
Tascha
Alkyone
Martuk
Thomas
Farak
Bhaaraja
Jimma
Dirak
Ana
Raya
Xeno
Sanddancer
Mhyste
Arakhar
Elisa
Skiv
Bantu
Takryn
Arrakis
Zal
Askkara
Dahnash
Krulz
Lowanla
Bin
Gnad
Aryk
Slagar
Lios
Zephyr
Dreth
Ranx
Malakai
Shannara
Prik
Calox
Kinnar
Ty
Trellax
Nip
Nightingale
Veiros
Rocuk
Owrkin
Scura
Ali
Krath
Slike
Skye
Aberto
Zhich
Dxross
Thor
Bean
Darcia
Ithalas
Krizzak
Ra
Stekyl
Caster
Kastagier
Slespid
Iris
Migo
Zed
Maduin
Vulcrum
Ander
Solomon
Brandin
Rian
Matt
Merkin
Elemak
Cali
Gwareth
Palf
Krintil
Akkar
Kasi
Gerrol
Tulug
Terrragin
Rakir
Jko
Krin
Houndin
Dev
Adal
Summer
Mylen
Von
Larchor
Krypt
Jaden
Garetjax
Zephyr
Joee
Kean
Kaanen
Torus
Phaze
Lowel
Zktin
Mackeli
Tyllos
Skaldiss
Alhana
Aaramath
Morcash
Larth
Mrachani
Liben
Nathaniel
Arlan
Krinkolf
Forgrim
Leya
Thanato
Bronn
Tawnoss
Celeste
Arn
Kendric
Helsun
Lluthian
Gnesalt
Tril
Grim
Ever
Raven
Djimon
Tark
Boitra
Oz
Rifkin
Arv
Cruz
Fury
Rihal
Kurzon
Lexar
Windy
Teala
Ekul
Bruenor
Jade
Kiran
Gwydion
Tzur
Sieptlan
Muro
Scarlett
Rylar
Sheksa
Simyon
Thales
Momo
Arin
Zandin
Marik
Kon

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 03:03:15 AM »
best name on the list:

Prik

Comrade Canadia

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 10:53:35 PM »
Well, there -are- no Zalanthian name conventions.  It boils down to the conflict of making a consistent world vs. letting players play their fantasy characters.  In this case, I've never noticed any trends in Zalanthian naming,  although there's nothing stopping some loose trends in northern vs. southern naming or something like that.

As it stands, there's no such thing as a Zalanthian name.

-Dave
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

Moofassa

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 08:55:57 PM »
heh heh heh
Gnad.
your mother is an elf.

Anonymous

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 07:23:56 PM »
Someone might play around with this thingy:

Use the link at the bottom and isntead of using the default nametypes, go down to the advanced interface and enter a 'template' (quick reference found at http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/reference.shtml)

For example, using the template "cscV" produced names like Nangloi and Dircai while the template "(s||t)VC" gave me a bunch of short names like Saiph, Sirt, Ard, Ton, Sah, Eis, El, Taeth, Taep, Iarr, Tol.

Theres a bunch of other namegenerators but I like the fact that you can alter the templates on this one:

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

Dreamcatcher

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2004, 10:27:43 PM »
How bout Terra? it's a good name I think....
heres bone dust in my throat and everything is dead, but it's alright.....