Author Topic: Twink thieves.  (Read 2775 times)

Twink thieves.
« on: November 30, 2002, 01:14:13 AM »
Hmm. I think it is twinkish to steal a storage container from a shop and everything in it while there is a Shopkeeper right there. Maybe I am just completely insane, but screw you twink thieves.

Oh yeah and burn in hell.  :twisted:

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 05:43:56 PM »
Hmm. I think it is twinkish to steal a storage container from a shop and everything in it while there is a Shopkeeper right there.

That sort of thing happens all the time IRL, you know. People stealing from stores and whatnot, while a shopkeeper is right there. This thread is going to accomplish nothing except start a flamewar.

If you've got problems with it, e-mail the MUD instead of spamming the board with your frustrations.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Eternal

Twink thieves.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 05:49:40 PM »
I remember one day walking past a furniture shop and watching an elf "stealthily move into the shop", I stood there for a few minutes, before going in and hearing the shopkeeper yell about thieves, and then another minute and the elf "is carrying a large blah bed".  I think the most amusing moment was when the elf realized that my character was militia.

creeper386

Twink thieves.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 10:48:04 PM »
Seeing a shop missing something I think I know what dead newbie is talking about.

And if I'm right thats a big thing full of lots to try to steal.

s
rest
s
rest
w
rest

Hehehe... Take a few hours I'm sure.

Creeper who just made up random directions, and thinks NPC shopkeepers are too stupid.
21sters Unite!

Carnage..
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 10:49:07 PM »
Sure they steal things from a shelf but how often do they steal the shelf as well? In RL we have machinegunes, doesn't mean ppl in ARMA have them. Anyway, I'll state my opinion and if someone deems my thread harmful they will likely remove it.

Carnage

Twink thieves.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 11:06:56 PM »
I never said you couldn't state your opinion.

I said that it was pretty fruitless to bring it to the boards, and that you'd accomplish more if you e-mailed the MUD.

Were you there? Maybe the thief conned the shopkeeper into believing that they were there to collect it. There's a million possibilities and this will never really get resolved on the boards, which goes up to my main point: You're not going to accomplish anything except a tantrum.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Eternal

Twink thieves.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 11:10:23 PM »
Or, maybe he wanted to begin a friendly thread on what is and is not good thiefly roleplay?

Maybe that's why he posted in a place called roleplay "discussion"?

This is, of course, conjecture, as I could not see the thoughts that were beneath the surface of his potentially dangerous post.

Well..
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 11:23:39 PM »
I am 100% sure the shopkeeper is loyal.  The shopkeeper would know no one is there to pick up the item. No I wasn't there. however I am sure its pretty twinkish to haul out something that most folk can't pick up as if you could sneak it under your cloak. I personally would like to know how they justified it. Maybe I had hopes of them seeing it and having second thoughts about it if they did not have proper justification. Anyway I did not expect someone to take their position but perhaps I should have known better. After all As far as I can see from all polls, 1% of people will agree with anything heh.

Anonymous

Twink thieves.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 03:46:36 PM »
Ther'es no such thing in life as a sure thing.  That's particularly true in Arm.

Gem

Re: Twink thieves.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2002, 04:47:01 PM »
Quote from: "Dead Newbie"
Hmm. I think it is twinkish to steal a storage container from a shop and everything in it while there is a Shopkeeper right there. Maybe I am just completely insane, but screw you twink thieves.

Oh yeah and burn in hell.  :twisted:

Obviously you were rather upset.  Allow me to point a few things out though.

1.  Just because the shopkeeper was there, doesn't mean he keeps his eye on it every second.  He could've been distracted while talking to a customer or cleaning his things.  Anybody could have, with some difficulty, walked out with it.

2.  The shopkeeper is not required to keep an eye on a storaging device.  In fact, I don't know why one would - It'd be much easier (and more profittable) for the shopkeeper to just wait for people to leave, then integrate the items into his own inventory.
I am 100% sure the shopkeeper is loyal. The shopkeeper would know no one is there to pick up the item.

Loyalty is scarce; I don't think I've seen any merchant loyal to anyone except himself and his money.

3.  Even if you paid the shopkeeper, or had some deal with him, keep in mind - It is Zalanthas.  9 out of 10 people are out to backstab or cheat you somehow.  He may not have cared too much whether someone took it or not.
3a.  Even if you paid the shopkeeper, the so-called thief could have paid the shopkeeper more.  Seeing it as a way to gain more coins, a greedy merchant probably wouldn't think twice about letting someone else have the items.  The shopkeeper benefits three-fold.  Getting the coins from the person wanting to store his items, getting the coins from the so-called thief in exchange for the items, and getting the coins when the so-called thief decides to sell the finish products.

These are just a few of the possible IC situations that I envision happening.  That said, if you want your items to be safe, find a way to store your items in a place where they wouldn't be easily stolen.  Get an apartment/hut/house, or if you are member of a house, ask if you can use the facilities to store your items.
-Gem
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of."
Benjamin Franklin  (1706-1790).  Poor Richard's Almanack.

Angela Christine

Idea
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2002, 05:41:01 PM »
I agree that it was probably poor RP on the thieves' part (althought it might not have been a coded thief since anyone can pick up an object if it is just sitting on the ground).  But if you leave temptation lying around, sooner or later someone will take the bait, that's just human nature.  And don't even get me started on elven nature.  So the best solution may be to avoid giving them temptation.

Many rooms have a set of shelves, a cupboard, a chest, a wardrobe or some other built-in container type furnature in the room description.  If it isn't locked it doesn't keep people from stealing what is inside the container, but it does keep them from stealing the container itself.  I also once saw a locking chest that wasn't takeable.  I assume it was nailed to the floor or wall from inside the chest or possibly glued in place, but however it was done the result was that the chest couldn't be stollen.  The lock on the chest wouldn't even have to be particularily good, any lock at all will keep the average shmuck from walking off with your loot.  It would take some IC cash to buy the lock and install it in a chest or buy a locking chest, and some OOC hassle to actually get an Imm to install it for you, but it might be worthwhile.

8) AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Bestatte

Twink thieves.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 06:04:36 PM »
Conversely, I have to laugh at a stellar moment recently, when a heavy object was dragged away from a shop. Two people attempted to lift it, but the NPC standing outside kept lifting it instead, preventing the heavy object from being dragged away. The NPC was a "stationary bot," meaning the type that stays in the same spot (like that beggar outside Trader's for example).

So it was just funny to watch the PCs frustrations when the damned guy refused to drop the object.

Eventually the object was able to be moved, but not without several moments of hillarity.