inv

HP:***/*** MV:***/*** ST:***/***
You are carrying:
a small bag
a simple sandcloth shirt

get pebble

You cannot carry a small, round pebble, you have too many items.

--------------

A HG has very large hands, clumsy as she may be, I think that a HG ought to be able to carry at least four things in her hands. Just a playability thing for me, it is a pain spending five minutes trying to figure out how to manage your things without having to throw everything on the floor in the tavern. Comments?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I agree with the inv limitation as expressed by a function of your agility, but I completly agree that a racial modifier is needed for a HG. Even if you tend to drop things alot, you should be able to carry them.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

two items, one thing in each hand. big fucking deal.

Deal with it. I played a mud for seven years where EVERYONE was limited to two hands inventory. It wasn't a problem. Suck it up. How can your HG bend down and pick up a pebble if he's already holding something in both hands? in real life, you could drape the shirt over the bag, but maybe the HG wouldn't think of that. Or just stuff the shirt in the bag. I realize this is only a specfic example, but still, you -can- deal with this. It doesn't require a code change.

Sure, it can be annoying, but learn to deal with it...as that is all it is, an annoyance.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Nothing sickens me more then the 'take it in the ass attitude'. Chill out, seriously, Dan made a reasonable statement. Are you telling me that you have never held more then two things in your hands in real life? This game is based on realistic rp not on code limitations that we are supposed to just 'suck up'. A half giant's hands are MASSIVE, so yes they should be able to carry several things in them. Plus, inventory does NOT mean its in your hands. The pack could be slung over a shoulder, an item could be hidden within an extra pocket you made in your cloak. All completely realistic.
ere it comes..

You know what sickens me?  When someone doesn't see something as a problem and say so, but everyone else jumps down their throat.

Okay, seriously, it is a code limitation...but so is EVERYTHING else.  Sure, a half-giants hands are massive, but inventory is what you are carrying...if it is in your pack, it is in your pack.  If it is in a pocket in your cloak, it is in your cloak.  If it is in no container by being in your inventory, it something you have to keep control of...not in their hands, because that's what wielding and holding items is for.  It is still something you can manipulate, though...and the ability to manipulate an item is a function of agility.  They can keep track of and use fewer items at one time because of their lower agility...thus, lower inventory size.  That's it.  I see no problem.  If you have such a problem with a half-giant, don't play one.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

apologies if I came off insulting. But the general point of my post still stands.

I once had a HG who could only carry ONE thing. I personally thought that was overkill, and if anyone cares to disagree, be my guest. I like a good disagreement.

-Tortall, who likes being clean.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I agree.  Expand the inventory limitation for half-giants.  Their low agility just fucks them over in so many ways :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Well, an inventory size of 1 is a bit extreme...two, however, can be worked around and I would argue against making it so that a HG with an agility that would say two items now can carry more.  That is one of the limits to playing a character that can lift a house...he's too clumsy to lift a feather without bending it.  It's that simple.  That is what a halfgiant is...big and strong but dumb and clumsy.

If this idea does get pushed through, I'm going to beging the 'elves are too weak to be lumberjacks' campaign to fix the issue of some elves being too weak to pick use a lumberaxe...just like some half-giants aren't agile enough to carry more than two items.  After that, I think it'll be time to get everything equalled out...everyone's stats, regardless of race, just to make sure that everyone can carry the same number of items, same weight in gear and use all the same weapons and the like.  How's that idea sound?

Your overwhelming logic is profound, Spawnloser.  It amazes me.  Really.  It does.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Wow, even more sarcasm.  Armaddict, this game isn't fair.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the documentation says something about that.  If you are not happy playing something with a particular restriction based off their stats or history, don't play it.  ...why doesn't anyone argue that some peaceful tribal group should be more war-like so that they can play an assassin from that tribe?  I see no difference between that arguement and the arguement that HG's should be able to carry more...so someone can have the best of both worlds.  You want the best of both worlds, prove your worth and get Mul karma...and play one of those.

Make a sarcastic post, get a sarcastic reply.

As for the rest.  I wasn't saying it needed to happen.  But I -am- open to ideas, and I don't see a particular reason why this one -shouldn't- happen.  Give me a good reason, and I'll see your point of view.

There's a difference between want and should realistically have.

It doesn't take a lot of brains to hang two coats on the same peg.

Passages in the document about this game not being fair are all regarding the actual game and interactions with players.  Applying those document quotes to playability issues is taking them out of context.

I'm not saying Dan is right, just that the 'The game is not fair, deal with it' stuff is counterproductive.

Sometimes you need more than three things in your inventory to pull off certain crafts.  So it's more than merely a nuisance, and I believe that the minimum inventory should be no lower than five.
Back from a long retirement

Um...there are humans with decent agilities that can only hold 5 items.

Yes, 2 items I could see as a minimum.

Otherwise, they already have a strength so that they can just put everything into a trunk and then carry their entire life in their trunk.

I've seen half-giants played that had no problems with only being able to hold two items in inventory.  I'm sure someone that is creative enough would have no problems.

Yet it would still be nice to be able to make a campfire.
Back from a long retirement

Given a half-giant finesse, unless he's using trees to build that campifre, it would be somewhat impossible.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

...you're saying a half-giant can't hold sticks?

That's ridiculous.

Tiny sticks. TINY STICKS!!!!

You mean, say...the same way humans can't hold straw?

Exactly.

...humans -can- hold straw.

-And- make a campfire out of them?