I can still see you face!

Started by Vositus, November 25, 2002, 03:14:02 PM

Should bandanas, sunslits and facewraps be coded to hide your sdesc?

No you friggen newbie! Facewraps dont cover your face... Dork
12 (44.4%)
Yes you amazingly smart and talented newbie! Bandanas should cover your sdesc! If veils can, bandans and anything worn on the face should caver up your sdesc
15 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: December 02, 2002, 03:14:02 PM

Veils and cloaks (or abas etc.) with hoods are the only items ive seen that covers characters sdesc's, yet, when I look at other people wearing bandanas, sunslits, or even facewraps (wraps that -cover- your face, I presume?)I can still see their sdesc's. Is it supposed to be that way? I just think its silly that a hood could cover your face but not facewraps or bandanas.  Dont you remeber those old country western movies with bandits that wear bandanas over there face, and amazingly no one can tell who they are? Well when my character wears a bandana his sdesc can still be seen by othere people. Im not exactly sure what sunslits are but they seem to me like mideval sun glasses, wouldnt those cover your sdesc? Infact wouldnt anything worn over the face hide your sdesc? Im sure this has been discussed before but Im knew and havent heard the reasons

Be gentle!

I'd say yes for facewraps and bandanas, but not sunslits, they are after all, little pieces of bone/wood that have slits in them for you to see through.

Well. From what I've seen facewraps do cover up sdesc's least some of them, along with many veils, I would think anything that can be raised lowered(The hood code) Like some cowls and such would cover your sdesc.

I personally don't see bandanas doing much, though. If you acctually know about the old west very few people acctually weren't known because of bandanas, if they pulled a bank robbery it was ussually known who it was, and if not it was more to do how they did it and the fear of the bankers that they couldn't remember.

But then from far away which is what the hiding of the sdesc is for not for close up, I don't think a bandana would hide enough that someone couldn't notice you.

Hoods tend to come with cloaks or some sort that also blurs how big you are, where your neck starts and so on, even cowls pulled up over the head and face tend to blur the size of things to be less sure, veils and such don't do a great amount, even face wraps, I think to really make someone look less like themselves as they are ussually somewhat close and still show the form.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

From my understanding off it, the reason bandanas and other similar things do not hide your desc has nothing to do with the fact that they cover your face.

Instead it has more to do with the OOC concern that it's too easy to hide your sdesc (which is OOC, not IC).

It has to do with game balance, not with what's proper for face coverings.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.~

I say yes for Facewraps, and after listening to creeper and Freeman Scum I'd say no for the other two.

The reason I say yes for Facewraps is because I don't know where you can buy them from, and plus there was one noble who was wearing a facewrap, and going by the facewraps description and the fact it didn't hide the noble's sdesc, I assumed I could see through it. That involved a very embarrassing scene where the mean noble made me squirm. But she let me off the hook after that  :D.

So I say yes for all facewraps.

I tend to agree there should be more items that hide short descriptions. You can hardly find a cloak with a hood in a shop. This is a harsh desert world, I can't imagine you could ever sell a cloak that DIDN'T have a hood.

As far as OOC concerns go, what are they? That people could attack and others not know who they are? Well that sounds like RL if you wear the right items. If I go to a RL desert country that doesn't have a western world style infrastructure (every house with an air conditioner), you can see a lot of people in the street have some sort of garb on that makes it hard to see who they are.

There could be hard coded entryways that you cannot sneak into due to having a closed door or whatever. Or places that you must give your name to the guard at the door to enter. Or places with strictly enforced codes of dress that demand you lower your veil before entering. Options like these are more realistic for a harsh desert world than just saying 'We want to see who people are, so hard code it so we can.' What happened to this being an RP environment?

This same arguement I brought up in another thread. There are ALOT of ways to identify people, and with already it very easy to hide your sdesc you have to get a look at the person, therefore getting their main description.

NOW, alot of times there is OOC problems that don't allow you to look, like not having the time to type "look soandso" to get the description, and if the person was around, that you would see their sdesc(As in they aren't sneaking) a bandana would do LITTLE to hide anything, at most it covers the nose and mouth, ussually still giving a good idea of the size relations of everything.

Already veils can be found VERY easiely, as are hooded cloaks. I don't know where you are that finding a hooded cloak is hard, but perhaps you need to view all those cloaks because the items sdesc I don't think always mention the hood, but I've yet to see any place that HASN'T had a hooded cloak, or some sort of veil... Or other sdesc hiding device and their are ALOT of different types and everything.

Creeper who thinks if your arguements come from an old western ideals your done gone nuts.
21sters Unite!