Author Topic: Languages  (Read 2104 times)

The7DeadlyVenomz

Languages
« on: November 24, 2002, 05:26:52 AM »
Out of curiosity, what do you folks think of creating a list of words that many people would know means something in another language? Damn, that was vague. Ok, here is an example.

Si, yes, and however you spell the french word WE, all mean yes. Well, how about alludean and mirrikim and common?

Ya'll understand where a nigga is taking this? I don't know the mechanics of all this like some of you veteran cats do, but I have seen a few times when this plant's name comes from the alludean for this word, etc...ya'll feel me?

The list would include words like, the words for city, or no, or yes, blah, blah...just an idea, might come in use for RP quite often, like, when swearing, etc....

Venomz
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

John

Languages
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 05:41:35 AM »
Love the idea.

and btw, it's oui.

It wouldn't be IC for a lot of people to be speaking allundean, but it'd help so when a dwarf wants to say something in mirukkim he doesn't have to go through the hassle of switching languages, and plus it also helps whenever you teach someone a language.

The7DeadlyVenomz

Uhm...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 06:12:53 AM »
Oui sounds like We? WTF??

LOL

But anyway, yes, it wouldn't make since for everyone to be speaking like that, but there have got to be times where it would simply be useful as an RP prop. That's the whole point. It's not really too important. Heh.

Venomz

Languages
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 11:43:45 AM »
I've done that a few times, I said something like "Haitsu" explaining it was like Bendune for "I understand". That was a while ago, don't worry, I don't think it's too IC :P

But yeah, I think it's acceptable, but I wouldn't try to do it for -really- common words in the less common languages (allundean and mirrukim). Like... allundean probably wouldn't really have a word for Kank, but that's a sidenote. But anyway, if all dwarves and all elves start making up the word for Road or Sword from their language, you're going to have a bit of discrepancy.

Gorobei

Languages
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 01:56:36 PM »
Which is why Venomz' idea is good.  The imms, or a trusted player who volunteers, should make a short list of words tht everyone would know.  I know the words hello, goodbye, yes, no, and 'I don't speak' in several languages, and that's all I know.

Languages
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 02:11:07 PM »
Yup, we'd need Imm help or someone who's -very- experienced with the language code, because as stated before on this board, there's a certain way that each language is "garbled" when you don't understand it, so these words would preferably have to fit that style.

The7DeadlyVenomz

Yup
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 06:08:03 AM »
That was the idea. It just strikes me as odd that every elf just about, if asked what the name for this is in his toungue, is going to say something different. I think this would be an exellent RP tool, especially for when languages are taught and so forth.

*shrug*

Peace.

Venomz

mog

An example of it working
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2002, 08:50:17 AM »
This 'short list' idea is already used in another setting.  I dont believe it's too in character to reveal that the Gypsies have a list of words so that they can insert a specific Gypsy word into Sirihish (for example) sentence and still understand what they're talking about.

What words would you suggest for the list.  My initial ideas are:

Yes
No
Some form of a word that closes a deal (barter?)
Some form of welcome or greeting (may be happy and annoyed variants)
Some form of wait or hold
 Manic depressive puss-wuss

The7DeadlyVenomz

Well...
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2002, 09:15:39 AM »
I would certianly say that the following words should be included.

Yes.
No.
Swearwords that mean sort of the same thing. Just the common ones however, like fek or fuck or whatever, it means the same thing. So these ones...(D***, F***, S***, the arm version of bitch? -lol-)
City
Desert
Forest
Halfling and all the races, in fact...just the PC races however, since many cultures call animals different things.
War
Peace
Food
Water, for certian!
Spice, maybe?

Heh

Just a few more...

Venomz

witchman

Not sure
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 12:48:01 PM »
I don't know, really, how much this would add to the game in relation to how hard it would be to remember a list of similar words.  Less bang for the buck, I think.

Much better to just set up an alias to change your lanaguage with one or two keystrokes.
Then you have no hassle.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Plazgoth

Instead..
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 02:16:18 PM »
What about a set of gestures. That might be a bit easier. And I think a coded way exists to do it (emote...) I have seen some interesting conversations going on between people who did not speak each other's language. Here are a few examples:

Yes - emote nods a couple of times
No - emote shakes his head from side to side
Swear words - Emote any of the popular insults. (e.g. emote brings his closed fist forward raising his middle finger slowly.)
Food - emote points a few times to his mouth rubbing his stomach with his other hand.
Water - emote points to his empty waterpouch then makes a drinking motion with his hand as if holding a mug.

You get the idea.

Rindan

Re: Instead..
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2002, 06:10:33 PM »
Quote from: "Plazgoth"
Swear words - Emote any of the popular insults. (e.g. emote brings his closed fist forward raising his middle finger slowly.)
You get the idea.

emote With a smirk, @ makes a sharp upward fist raming motion at %templar back.

I love vulgarity.  I get so into it some times in Armageddon that I need to space it so that only every other character is vulger, simply to avoid people picking me out as the same player.  A truly vulger person stands out.  It is a terrible shame that more characters do not explore the limits of vulgarity.

emote With a sneer drawing across his lips, @ unrolls his long slender finger towards %militia face.

Emote With exagerated slowness @ then points to his croch, pausing for a moment before putting his entire body into a single sharp pelvic thrusting motion.

See?  Vulgarity is a universal language.  No need to learn pesky words.

creeper386

Languages
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2002, 07:46:03 PM »
I don't think common now of day insults should be used, As I think even now of days some western insulting motions are considered either less so or not even slightly offensive, some are even blessings/signs of greeting/fairwell and such.

Heck, you go back to old europe the peace sign was considered an insult as it showed the two fingers commonly used by bowman(Which made MAJOR turns in wars) and also those two fingers were normally cut off of unloyal people so they couldn't draw a bow.(Not sure which time period EXACTLY but i'm sure it lasted for awhile)

I would like things that are more based on Arm, and if you can't think of anything that would be insulting in an Arm based world at least use insults that are more general viewed such as biting your thumb at someone(This insult was in Shakespears time and even way before that and I'm sure after, and it's sad I have a group of friends that well still use this insult)

Creeper
21sters Unite!

John

Languages
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2002, 08:56:43 PM »
Quote from: "creeper386"
Heck, you go back to old europe the peace sign was considered an insult as it showed the two fingers
That still happens (at least in aussieland), it all depends on -how- you show the two fingers. If you stick them up like you would your middle finger, it's considered an insult, however if you do it all sort of "mellowy" it aint.

I think a good insult would be spitting. If you spit on the ground or on someone or tip a drink upside down (especially if they asked for it) your saying I'd rather waste this water then give it to you. Or you make me so sick I'm willing to waste water just to show you how horrible you are.

Whereas if you spit into your hand and shake hands (especially after a deal) that shows how serious you are.

Just an idea.