Lag?

Started by Krath, June 18, 2004, 05:13:48 PM

May 04, 2013, 03:37:59 PM #50 Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:41:46 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: solera on May 04, 2013, 03:36:08 PM
Feeling good.

Edit: There was a reboot. Lag is back to being bearable, still there.

Still getting a delay.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

And the Gith mating cycle begins again.

Actually, I don't perceive a delay any more. :)
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

It almost seems like the opposite now heheh, that's like smoother and faster than I ever remembered it.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I have a small bit of lag. But compared to the last few days? I'll live with it until our code monkeys....I mean....Wonderful Staff..get back from family commitments.

:)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I was just wondering... The lag was fixed for a while after the reboot today.  After more than 30 people were logged in the lag came back.  If this is a coding problem, it would probably happen all the time regardless of how many people are logged on, unless the code hasn't been optimized. It would seem more like a bandwidth problem. Has anyone checked into Server Bandwidth and maybe upstream hops either unprioritizing telnet packets or any other possibilities?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I think we've established that it isn't network lag pretty conclusively so all the talk about upstream packets and whatnot is not correct.  The actual game itself is lagging. 

There are a lot of ways that performance can degrade over time, the most obvious is a memory leak of some kind.  It could also be a configuration problem with the server itself, unrelated to the game.  I'm logged in right now and I would not say the game is laggy -- it feels fine.  If they just keep rebooting once a day, we'll be okay in the short term until the coders can figure out what is going on.

Right now the lag is intermittent. I've been logged in for a little while now and have noticed lag intermittently.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Pretty sure that it's because I came back.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

When Malifaxis played regularly, everyone had to ride uphill in both directions, through twenty-foot-deep dunes of loose sand in gusts of wind that blinded us for fifty leagues in all directions. And we did this on erdlus, that had to rest every 10 rooms for at least an hour. And the lag was so bad, that it would take two hours just to get those 10 rooms away.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Both ways.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Ok here are some things that I've noticed. Perhaps they will be helpful in the coders diagnosing the problem:

1) Lag seems to happen at the most incovient times..
   a) Fighting, wether sparring or on prey.
   b) When auto-walking for example I know how I need to go to get from point a to point b I just enter it all in.
   c) Using Way...

I was riding following someone they were riding fast, as we all know inixes are pretty quick (obviously not as quick as erdlu's, but quicker than other mounts). I was trying to contact someone on the ride... I contacted someone... I didn't see anything show up... I contacted them again still nothing... Did this once more... Had to sheath my weapons...  Contacted them again still nothing (no fail or succeed note)... Talked some more... Showed up at the place we were going... Then I got all these messages saying I contacted them... No I can't contact this person because I'm already contacted to someone else... Mind you all of the other stuff talking to the person I was following, sheathing my weapons, etc happened pretty much live time...

Maybe this will be helpful, maybe not...  I just know from being a support person I like too much information over too little.

You don't autowalk.
Friends don't let friends autowalk.
Enemies find autowalkers and...well.  Find out IC.

May 05, 2013, 07:01:38 PM #64 Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:03:24 PM by RogueGunslinger
Certain commands can't be done while you're in middle of walking. So if you're following someone who's going fast enough, you won't be able to get certain commands in. Commands that involve speaking, emoting, or observing things will still work.

It seems to be effecting different players. Some people are complaining of crippling lag with ooc, in the same room as me when i have none.

Not sure if this helps figure out the problem, but I thought it couldn't hurt.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Hello all, semi-long-time-on-and-off player and board lurker, first time forums user.

Just wanted to add my two 'sids here: I was experiencing crippling lag earlier, until I switched from the website's client to a client of my own, after which I had 0 problems. Not sure if this will help anyone else or the staff at work fixing the issue, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway!

The lag, she is back.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on May 06, 2013, 01:58:46 AM
Hello all, semi-long-time-on-and-off player and board lurker, first time forums user.

Just wanted to add my two 'sids here: I was experiencing crippling lag earlier, until I switched from the website's client to a client of my own, after which I had 0 problems. Not sure if this will help anyone else or the staff at work fixing the issue, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway!

I'm guessing it was coincidence. I use my own client and I had no problems yesterday, and pretty bad ones today.

I've been on for a few hours and had no lag at all.  Others are having lag?
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on May 06, 2013, 04:15:56 PM

I'm just now starting to get some decent lag. But it comes and goes.

As I said earlier, it might have something to do with where you live IRL. As I was having no lag, and people I was RPing with were having lag.

Its been intermittent. Its still there, but not as bad as a few days ago.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Yes, few pretty big spikes just about now.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: Adhira on May 06, 2013, 04:15:56 PM

Seems like I'm getting it intermittently.  Still not as bad as it was friday prior to the reboot (unplayable).

Rebooting the game now, hopefully this will help a little.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.