Lag?

Started by Krath, June 18, 2004, 05:13:48 PM

Quote from: Nathvaan on November 09, 2016, 07:42:03 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 09, 2016, 06:01:22 AM
Lag.

Wait no, never mind, just that daily 4:00 AM 2 minute disconnect.

Otherwise also known as a daily backup of the database.

I've always wondered and now I know. I actually thought it was something to do with my ISP.

Now -that- is some lag.

I've been experiencing some pretty awful lag from the game and GDB as well, these last few days.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Seriously. Can I buy you guys an upgrade to a pentium II and a 28k modem? It's 2016 for krathsake.

Quote from: Bahliker on November 09, 2016, 11:47:37 PM
Seriously. Can I buy you guys an upgrade to a pentium II and a 28k modem? It's 2016 for krathsake.

While I completely understand the frustration you are having, everyone should know, just like your home internet sometimes networks break.  Within about 4 minutes of the issue I had already opened a support ticket with the hosting provider.  I noticed because I was in the middle of working on a large coding project.  In those first four minutes I was verifying where the network was not passing about 75% of the packets and who owned those networks to give the provider as much information as possible.

It is an issue with the ISP even outside of the control of the hosting provider (in this case the issue is with cogent, in a previous case the issue was with Level3).

I work daily with supporting hundreds of network circuits world wide and nearly every day some go down.  It happens.  All of the time. It is out of our control and no amount of pretending that buying 90's technology will solve that.

As of typing this message they seem to have things working better though I have not received an update as to a root cause.

Quote from: Bahliker on November 09, 2016, 11:47:37 PM

Pretty sure Ginka's doing just alright, heh. She's an ancient God, and not a merciful one.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Nathvaan on November 10, 2016, 12:20:16 AMIt is an issue with the ISP even outside of the control of the hosting provider (in this case the issue is with cogent, in a previous case the issue was with Level3).

I work daily with supporting hundreds of network circuits world wide and nearly every day some go down.  It happens.  All of the time. It is out of our control
Anecdote time: Last place I worked at had everything in the cloud (I hate the cloud for this reason, but in this case 90% of the workforce were remote so it made sense). A cable directly outside our data center was cut. Took 3 days for the major Telco of the country to fix the damn thing. Nothing we could do. No-one was impressed (can't remember if the business had a DR site. If it didn't, it should have). Stuff happens unfortunately.

Cogent seems to have problems on the regular though. Almost every time there's lag or an internet fart, the source is Cogent. Are we routing through them because our ISP is the least expensive/most efficient/only one that is in the geographic location of the server? Are we looking into alternatives for the time when our contract is up? (we, meaning Armageddon, the Ginka owner, whoever pays the bills)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 10, 2016, 08:12:26 AM
Cogent seems to have problems on the regular though. Almost every time there's lag or an internet fart, the source is Cogent. Are we routing through them because our ISP is the least expensive/most efficient/only one that is in the geographic location of the server? Are we looking into alternatives for the time when our contract is up? (we, meaning Armageddon, the Ginka owner, whoever pays the bills)

Only one of the issues recently was a cogent co issue to my knowledge.  Our provider, one assumes, has multiple connections to the internet since it is a large, hardened datacenter.  We have exactly zero choice in how they route our traffic into their datacenter.  Our only choice would be to potentially move to a new and likely more expensive solution, not because we have a cheap solution but our prices are low because we are grandfathered into a less expensive hosting plan.

The thing about moving providers is that we risk the exact same issue no matter where the game is hosted.  Moving providers would simply be putting our bets that another provider won't have similar issues (and at some point they will).  Also it is good to remember that the connection has been very stable for years.  In the last week there have been two or three times where the connection was pretty much unusable for a period of 30-45min each.  We are guaranteed 99.9% uptime by the provider and can get credits if they don't meet those guarantees but there is the stipulation that it doesn't count against that 99.9% number if it is an internet issue out side of their control.  The only time I remember there being an extended outage was when they received a direct hit from a hurricane and even then the power never went down, the server never went down but all of the connectivity was down because the multiple telcos providing network connectivity had their central office facilities underwater.

As to choosing one's path through the internet ask yourself, do you know how your traffic gets to google.com?  Can you decide to not traverse any Cogent Co networks?  The simple answer is no, unless you have the ability to modify the routing table on Cogent's networks that are advertised out to the internet.

the lag doesn't happen often enough to switch providers and generally it's not for a super long time, i just post about it because i get irritated when a mud plays slower than arma 3 online.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Whoops I did it again!  A sequel.
How about a scavenger hunt?

I quit out -- It's happening with everyone apparently. Give Ginka a second, she's an old fudder dudder!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

:'( Make it stop...
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

holy shit
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Is it over?
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I think..  I think it's safe?

Not for me.  Probably just gonna stay off for a while.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I think it's not the server crashing, but the internet pipe or whatever going up and down -- when I connect for brief bits, I 'reconnect'.

Seems to be still ongoing. I'll get in for a few minutes and then drop again.

fucking russians
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on December 16, 2016, 06:15:34 PM
fucking russians

Just because you have a hot Russian to occupy yourself with while the game is laggy doesn't mean we all have something else to do boog! :(
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on December 16, 2016, 06:17:14 PM
Quote from: boog on December 16, 2016, 06:15:34 PM
fucking russians

Just because you have a hot Russian to occupy yourself with while the game is laggy doesn't mean we all have something else to do boog! :(

Bushy, I've missed you. <3
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Aaaaah I'm too scared to log in!

...but I should be writing anyway  :-\

Quote from: Akaramu on December 16, 2016, 06:33:29 PM
Aaaaah I'm too scared to log in!

...but I should be writing anyway  :-\

Do iiit!  It's stable-ish for me!

Quote from: Esadal on December 16, 2016, 06:40:35 PM