Author Topic: How does a commoner worship the dragon?  (Read 5094 times)

Akaramu

How does a commoner worship the dragon?
« on: June 12, 2004, 06:37:23 AM »
Out of curiosity.

From what I understood, most citizens of Allanak have at least a lot of respect (possibly negative respect) for their god-king Tektolnes. I could imagine some citizens honestly admiring their almighty dragon, and wishing to worship Him in their daily lives. But how would the average southern commoner go about this? Is there some sort of dragon pendant to wear? A dragon shrine to put up in their houses? Some sort of rituals to perform? I feel clueless. Someone help, please.

I assume all of this would be common knowledge for an Allanaki citizen.

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 07:41:11 AM »
Well, first things first, most people probably don't have houses so there likely wouldn't be a shrine to put in it. BUT there are tokens you can buy here and there in shops and whatnot that bear the colors of Allanak and in some cases I think the dragon form.

As to a shrine that you CAN go to worship, there's the gates where an NPC 'blesses' the populace that goes out at the crack of dawn (well, he's usually a little late, templars are all lazy!).

On the other hand, you can always make up rituals, explain them to other people IC, get them into it and start up a whole chain.

emote runs around the streets screaming at the top of his lungs, stark naked.

say (walking back to the bar and plopping down) And I call that one the Dragon Dance.

Tarx04

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 10:26:56 AM »
Dragon Dance.  I like it.

Gilvar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »
A good start would be attending Morning Devotions every morning at the Dragon outside the gate.

ShaLeah

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 02:02:40 PM »
I once played a highly devoted character that used to go to the temple and worship and spent hours praying. Anytime anything was good, Praise the Dragon!, anything everything was shit (which was more often than not) it was Help me Dragon! Give me strength!.  I modeled her after a Pentecostal.

How you worship the Dragon/Sun King is up to you. Here's a few ideas:

- Devotions
- Temple
- Work for the City
- Work for a Templar
- Pay tithes
- Give up your offspring to his service
- Give up your offspring as his sacrifice
- Walk around praising him, prostrating yourself
- Spy
- Snitch

There's lots of ways. :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Akaramu

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 06:46:10 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Someday, somehow, one of my PCs will walk around praising the almighty dragon.  8)

wizturbo

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 10:21:02 PM »
Don't forget to use terms like, "His Gloriousness"  and "Highlord" and the ever popular "Walk in His Shadow."

mansa

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 11:54:04 PM »
Bow down and worship the iron dragon statue like the hundred of thousands of people that do that everyday outside the city gates.  Hundreds of thousands...  Hundreds.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Krath

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 09:03:57 AM »
Akaramu,

Have you ever seen Conan the barbarian? If not
you should. When watching the movie, Pretend
James Earl Jones is Tektolnes and everyone else
are his followers. Act like they do :)
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

sjanimal

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Dragon-God
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »
Wow, what a brilliant question!

I was just thinking last night that people don't bring enough sprituality to their characters.  I encourage you to role-play it and be creative bud.  I feel sure you'll start a new trend.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Dakkon Black

• Amazonia Reforestation Project
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 02:40:53 PM »
Also, don't confuse "the dragon" With Tektolnes, allthough Tek may take this form, or at least use it as a symbol of his power, "The Dragon" Would most likely not be something you worship at all as it's a filthy badass evil mo fo that wants to eat babies and shit defilers.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Stroker

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 03:04:08 PM »
So you're telling me eating babies is wrong? WOW! I guess I should kick that habit.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Mr.Camel

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 11:38:27 PM »
Would a citizen even know about the Dragon?

Tamarin

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 11:42:03 PM »
I want to whip snowballs at the steel dragon.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Bogre

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 03:20:57 AM »
Where would you get snowballs? I had my ice elementalist under lock and key, I thought.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

path

• they fight crime
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 12:20:09 PM »
Every once and a while there happens along a post that really inspires me in my rp. Seems somehow like it used to happen more back in the day, but I just wanted to pass my thanks on along to the people who contributed.

Breath of fresh air does the rp good, and just, a suddenly new perspective.

-path

SwanSwanHummingbird

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 01:29:12 AM »
There definately would be prayers and rituals to perform, these things all need to be spelled out.  They'd be passed down from generation to generation, and possibly taught in the Dragon Temple (does Tuluk have a Temple for commoners?).  At least, you could go there to listen and learn if you didn't know and wanted to find out.  However, there's the possibility that some characters (esp. homeless orphans for example) wouldn't know these prayers even though they lived their whole life in the city.  

Now, some people might not know about the prayers and still want to worship Tektolnes (or the Sun King).  I'd imagine these would be people too scared of the Templars to go and learn at the temple (e.g. thieves, 'rinthers).  These people might just make up prayers and rituals of their own, and these might start to get passed down in their gang (if they have one).  Of course, it would probably be considered heresy by the Templarate, but I'd imagine people would do it anyway.  They commit all sorts of other crimes, right?  Basically, any religious sentiment they had would be focused on Tektolnes (or the Sun King), but possibly in name only.  They would call their god 'Tektolnes', but the actual qualities he had according to them might be very different from his accepted qualities by the Templarate.

I think the areligiousness of Zalanthans is greatly exaggerated.  I'd say that all sorts of religious behavior would be prevalent, even in the citystates--of course it would be illegal, but that doesn't stop people from doing all kinds of other things.  I'd imagine the Templarate would be constantly stomping down on various Tektolnes heresy cults that spring up all over the place.  At least, they would try....these cults would either be in the 'rinth or very secretive.  But, that doesn't mean they're not there!  in fact, I'd bet that maybe even 50% of Allanakis belong to some kind of cult besides official Tektolnes worship, or at least a potential one.