Author Topic: talk <npc> rumours/topics/hi  (Read 2707 times)

jstorrie

talk <npc> rumours/topics/hi
« on: May 18, 2004, 09:21:58 AM »
Can anyone explain to me how this works?  Every time I try to chat with my bartender, I just end up saying "bartender topics" or "robust rumours" at my table and looking like an idiot.

ashyom

• Legend
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »
We don't use british spelling (with exception of grey), so likely using 'rumor' would be more effective. ;)

Not all NPCs use the same keywords to initiate talk programs, though "rumor" or "topic"/"topics" will work with most bartenders, shopkeepers and some npcs.
Ashyom

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:55:08 AM »
You need to be standing up, otherwise the "talk" code for talking at tables will kick in.

vissa

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 09:58:44 AM »
To follow up on this question (as I was just about to ask about this command, too) - it is talk <npc> topic/topics/rumor, right?  Every time I try it I get the message "But you're not sitting at a table!" (Or something similar; you get the gist.)  

It's left me terribly bewildered.  :(

Larrath

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 10:02:31 AM »
Yes, the command is 'talk', which is convenient.

If you choose a wrong keyword, it will just stop you at the table-code (You aren't sitting!) and won't echo the speech to the entire room.
If it is a proper keyword (I recommend trying the jeweler in the Allanaki Main Bazaar or the woman outside the Bard's Barrel), you will see a reaction.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:17:14 AM »
Also not all NPCs have the ability to respond. So if you're using the right keyword and getting a "you're not at a table" echo, the NPC you're trying to talk to probably just doesn't have the script to talk to you.

SOME NPCs respond to "ask" but those are mostly cooks in clan buildings and similar.

vissa

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:19:18 AM »
Thanks very much!

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 11:23:44 AM »
If there is an NPC you feel should have the talk program, please idea it with something along the lines of idea (npc keyword) should be able to talk about spice/wood/fashion tips/whatever.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
I've never done much rumor checking, i always forget, but are they updated to reflect new events or possible future events? Or perhaps they only describe things about the world I should know, but don't.

Or perhaps I should find out IC, hmmmm?

der....

mansa

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 04:51:01 PM »
Bartender's are updated as often as people submit things, or after big RPT events.  If you want the bartender to change what he's saying, submit a new saying.  Just scroll up and read the post by Sanvean explaining how.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »
I've thought for some time that the command for this should be changed. Perhaps a 'gossip bartender rumors/name/fun' where 'gossip' surplants 'talk'. This would solve those nerdy things like talking at your table when no subject is involved.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.