Ride skill

Started by Canadian Beaver, November 18, 2002, 03:47:12 PM

Hi, fairly new to Arm and was wondering about the ride skill.
In the help files it says:

Notes:  One hand must always be free for holding the reins, until you reach high levels of skill.

I asked a friend and she says she's only ever seen rangers with
the ability to dual wield and ride at the same time. Does anyone
know for sure if it's only rangers who have that ability? I figured
it would make sense for others to eventually be able to do it,
especially warriors who can dual wield.

Part of the reason that your friend has never seen any but rangers, is probably because rangers and half-elves (and a few subguilds) are the only ones who start with a half-decent amount of the ride skill (and many others die before they reach it)... afaik any class can develop it to the point that they can dual-wield, and even fight from kankback... as well as some other funky techniques that bear discovering ic.  I've had warriors and a couple of assassins who could easily fight/ride with weapons drawn and on kankback.

Lord Templar Hard Nose shouts, in sirhish:
"Kanks, kanks for sale, get your kank or I'll beat you senseless."

Ok, thanks. Happy to hear that.

I don't know...

I had a longlived warrior with high wisdom who never got to the point
he could dual wield and ride.

I'm guessing that is a ranger-only perk.

If you think your warrior has had enough time in the saddle to warrant
it and you can't dual wield/ride I think you should email the mud.

Of course, it helps if your warrior has some serious IC training on how to
handle a kank while dual wielding.

One thing to note is that Armageddon's skill system works on failure.  If you are not failing at something, you won't improve.  That is why a bad ass warrior beating the crap out of children and newbie Byn runners doesn't seem to have any effect.  The same is said for riding.  Hint hint... nudge nudge...

You only gain skill when you fail.

NOT TRUE. DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HEAR!  SOME THINGS ARE UNKNOWN!  JOIN TEAM AWESOME AND COMBINE FORCES!  FOR GREAT JUSTICE!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Rindan"One thing to note is that Armageddon's skill system works on failure.  If you are not failing at something, you won't improve.  That is why a bad ass warrior beating the crap out of children and newbie Byn runners doesn't seem to have any effect.  The same is said for riding.  Hint hint... nudge nudge...

*waits patiently for the many warriors who have been able to ride and
dual wield to post*

bump, no takers?  ;)
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Find out in-game.
All things are possible.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

A brief commentary on skill.

You may notice if you play a Rom game... lets say fighting a practice dummy.

Your slash misses a practice dummy!
You learn from your mistakes and your skill in shortsword improves!

You'd tend to see that situation alot more then just the increase on a success. But it does happen. Now Rom being a derivitive of Diku, Id imagine some of these things are in place, that there is a chance to improve on failure, maybe more so then just succeeding.

so use that as you please.

But I will say about mounted fighting and learning, a good way to learn is by actually being mounted while fighting. If you can deal with the pain rping learning to stay on the mount while fighting amidst tons of throw offs is a great way to possibly improve, as opposed to just constantly riding up and down Caravan Road.

good luck. I hope to be beaten by your two-handed wonderfulness soon.