Author Topic: SHort description question  (Read 2797 times)

Google

SHort description question
« on: May 05, 2004, 06:45:36 PM »
Every once in a while I see a person with a short desc being  "the tall dwarf with dark eyes" instead of "the tall, darkeyed dwarf". What is the rule on that? In the creation screen it is written no where that one can write a short desc like that.

SpyGuy

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 07:10:23 PM »
I don't like the format myself, but sometimes it flows better.  Most of the time its just a little jarring though, from a personal perspective.  I avoid it.
o I only know how to make long rambling posts, it's a problem I know.  But just be glad I'm not posting all the crap I begin to write before I remember I don't know anything and hit the back button.  Be glad, be very glad.

ShaLeah

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:38:03 PM »
I'd love to see things other than the blah, blah-haired/eyed man/woman/dwarf/elf myself.  I once had the bronzed woman with white hair and she got approved and I didn't find it jarring at all.  The atramentously goth-looking man is another story but I'm all for mixing it up.  Let the Imms decide, your choice will either be approved, or not.  Apply for what you'd like.  :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
Quote from: Anonymous
I'm sorry to see that your personal resolution to this went in that direction, but wish you the best.

Raesanos

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 07:52:37 PM »
It isn't seen a lot, but its certainly clearer to have "the man with long blue hair" than "the long blue haired man."  I personally have no problem with this format.

crymerci

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 07:55:14 PM »
I like a little variety...in fact I've used this type of desc before, as the tawny woman with coppery curls.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Angela Christine

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 02:02:57 AM »
The "with" sdescs avoid "adjective-comma-adjective" which I find just as jarring.  A comma in the sdesc puts one more comma in ever sentance that includes the character, and there are too many commas already.  Down with commas!  
You can avoid the "with" and the "extra comma" by using just one adjective, but most people don't like that either.  Go figure.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 02:05:09 AM »
i like the "with" thing and i'm using it from now on. Probably.

Angela Christine

Re: SHort description question
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 03:09:11 AM »
Quote from: "Google"
In the creation screen it is written no where that one can write a short desc like that.

It doesn't say you can't, either.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

spawnloser

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 10:21:09 AM »
As long as proper grammar is used, I could give a rat's ass.  I prefer using the format of 'the descriptor, descriptor person' but to each their own.  I really only have a problem with people that pick only one generic descriptor...like I know for a fact that I have seen three PCs with the sdesc of 'the dark-haired man' when they could all have used just a little something else just to set them apart.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Oxidised Lizard

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 01:50:05 PM »
I personally prefer the blah, blah man.  I don't like 'with' but I dislike even more missing the comma out!  's just personal preference though.   :roll: