Red Storm and Magick

Started by Vettrock, April 16, 2004, 06:41:44 PM

This is just a question about what you all think about How Red Storm views elementalists that come down there.  I understand that magick is outlawed with int Red Storm and I'm not asking what the code will do but would you say:

If a Gemmed Character was walking around in Red Storm, the resident would treat them pretty much the same as they treat everyone else.  (ie they leave them alone)

Also if an elementalist had some kind of effect still "on" from when he was outside the walls, such as a ball of light around his head, red eyes, or grey skin, or anything like that.  Would the same apply?

I'm not asking what the code does, So if your gonna say find out IC, I can tell you I already have (quite a few characters back), but those NPCs down there aren't always very talkative. and like I said I'm not really asking what the code does (I already know that part)

Now I can see Tuluk arresting you on the post for having a Gem, or for having any kind of magickal effect, especially since the Gem allies you with Allanak. and with the distrust of Magicker of all kinds.  But to me Red Storm has a different attitude, just more of a leave me alone, and just keep your casting outside the city.

Tan Sarek, I haven't spent much time at so I'm not sure about.

What does everyone think?
Vettrock

Actually I believe Red Storm is quite anti magicker, moreso than Tuluk is.

Red Storm won't arrest you for being a gemmed, and people would probably just leave you alone.

If you've got a ball of floating light on, however, expect action to be taken. Whether that be imprisonment, banishment from the city, whatever. I wished up in game once before, because a magicker was sitting right at the bar with a ball floating around their head so I've got a bit of an idea as to what I'm talking about.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Not sure exactly, Gesht would be able to answer definitively, but I think if you were openly gemmed in Red Storm you'd silently disappear into an alley and never be seen or heard from again. While typically everyone's business is there own, magickers are universely disliked everywhere except tribal settings.

As a gemmed magicker, you are a spy of the empire and all those nice escaped slaves and outlaws might take a dislike to you. And if they take a dislike to you, you are as good as dead.

Two sids
amsara: Stop harassing the idiots on the GDB

The main rule of Red Storm is:

Nobody says nothin' bout nothin' less they wanna have action taken.

In other words... only the militia can do something about a magicker. Villagers wouldn't do a thing unless they were a real angry type that like to get scorched once in a while
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Thanos"As a gemmed magicker, you are a spy of the empire and all those nice escaped slaves and outlaws might take a dislike to you. And if they take a dislike to you, you are as good as dead.

Of course, because it isn't like escaped slaves and outlaws fear magickers, right?

I'm sure they'd have no problem breaking the Sandlords laws, getting themselves slain or at best exiled from the one place in the world they're relatively safe from the "civilized world" that would come after them, just to cut up some magicker who might be a spy, who might go down before turning the village into a gigantic smoking crater, or releasing a horrible plague, or cursing everyone involved to be impotent or barren. Or worse.

Yeah, that sounds like something that would happen.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Then again a Gemmed Magiker could just as well be considered an outcast as well.  I met a character in game one time who had a Gem but said he wasn't a magicker, he was just forced to wear the Gem by a Templar to make him an "outcast"

There could be people such as this down in Red Storm as well.
Vettrock

A gemmed could enter Red Storm with little problem from the militia I would imagine.  Could a gemmed live there?  Probably not a shot in hell.  You might be techinically safe and the militia might not techinically be able to stop you unless you do something wrong, but you can probably bet half of a dozen people are plotting ways to kill you.  Entering the bar is likely to start a bar fight and result in getting your ass kicked.  True, the vast majority would probably just leave it alone and get the hell away from you, you can probably expect every other trouble maker with balls to big for his britches to come after you.  Further, you are almost assured to be jumped the second you step outside of the gates.

So, I think you could enter the village, but I think the 'feeling' you would get would be that half of the populace would be scared stiff of you, the other half holding daggers behind their back waiting for militia to look away so as to kill you, and the militia always keeping their eye on you (and probably getting an ichy sword hand).  If you entered with a magikal spell on, you should rightfully expect to get slain.  No magik in the village means no magik.  Floating balls of light without a doubt count as magik.  A magiker on bussiness to Red Storm I think could probably survive long enough to do his bussiness unmolsted.  A gemmed who just wants to live there is probably cutting deeply into life expectancy.

Maybe I am just not getting this or what, but I dont understand how everyone thinks that because your a Gemmed that everyone is going to come down on you, commoner-wise. If some Gemmed has a ball of light over his damn head, dont you think its best to leave his ass alone real quick, specially considering you dont know a damn thing about this person nor of what he can do? Perhaps its simply OOC driven because you know that the magicker probably wont cast for fear of being arrested and murdered on sight for being a magicker. I would imagine everyone would move fairly quickly out of a magickers way, specially one that openly walks somewhere without any type of fear in his stride.

People can get really brave when they are in mobs.

Red Storm has a real Don't Ask, Don't Tell vibe.  Read the room descriptions, most people avoid even -looking- at strangers.  Those gems are small, dull, and black, not a big flashing light over your head -- add that to the fact that most people avoid looking at strangers, and most people probably won't notice the gem.  Elementalist robes are flashier, so you'd probably want to avoid wearing them in Red Storm.

Doing magick is illegal, that would  no doubt include walking around with obvious magickal effects in place even if you didn't cast the spell in the village.

In Red Storm you don't want to draw attention to yourself.  There are muls on every corner, angry muls that have already "snapped" at least once and thrown off slavery to escape to Red Storm.  Even a seasoned mage will be careful around a of tightly strung, uncontroled mul, much less an entire mob of muls.  Mob violence is bad.

My opinion is that a quiet gemmed who keeps his head down and his nose clean won't have any problems.  One who does a lot of flashy shit or makes a spectical of himself may incite mob violence inside the village, or find a gang of angry thugs waiting for him outside the gates.  That gang of thugs may even include mages bent on putting down the dumbass before he raises too much anti-magick sentiment in the village.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think the point of the question is whether or not Red Storm is some haven for open magick users to bandy about with magical effects and trinkets all a-showin'.

To that end, I'd say if you can get crimflagged for casting magick, you should probably consider magick very much -not- welcome, even if you do the actual casting outside and then walk in with the magick Krathi devil tale of fireballs.

As long as you avoid openly displaying magick or magickal effects, keep your head down, and don't cause trouble, I don't see a problem with gemmed mages trying to make it in Red Storm.

Yes, mages should be feared, yes, mages are widely reviled, but mages are often useful to the less than savory. Interaction is already shot in the foot and hobbling critically if you don that gem, and I'm starting to get the feeling that they're being painted into a corner of isolation or death these days.

Treat a mage like a bomb that might explode if you yanked the wrong wire, sure, but don't make it nigh impossible for one to get involved with plots or characters, i.e. interacting with the playerbase and thus adding to the game.

- - Gemmed magickers in Red Storm are treated like everyone else. They're generally ignored and avoided within Red Storm as long as they do not break the law. Red Storm Village has a diverse variety of dangerous people living in it. People survive by not pissing them off arbitrarily.

- - While I cannot speak for non-citizens, the typical Red Stormian is not going to form a lynch mob or start hurling rocks at the sight of a black gem. Keep in mind, it's not common for gemmed magickers to travel outside of Allanak (at least the virtual majority). Most citizens have never seen a gem (though know of them), so there's some chance they won't recognize it at a brief glance. There is a time factor before people who didn't see the gate guards giving you funny looks realize what you are.

- - Criminal behavior inside of Red Storm is a rarity. This is mostly because the two laws of Red Storm are enforced in a manner which doesn't lend to repeat offenders. The same is almost always true people who should be lynched two steps inside the gates. However...  Red Storm is in the desert. Deserts are dangerous places. Dangerous, vast, desolate places...

- - Nonetheless, if you are playing a gemmed magicker, you should understand Red Storm is not magicker-friendly. It's just not outwardly as unfriendly as everywhere else. The gems are not particularly large, so you could conceal them (though the code does not allow this). Just remember the longer you sit around, the more noticeable that unnerving dim spot penetrating your clothes will be. You should likely view your stay in Red Storm with apprehension, and living there (overtly) is not a possibility.

- - As for gemmed magickers with visible effects, they are immediately dealt with by the military. Severity may differ. It may not happen often, but it's not something that would be much of a secret.  That should be enough information to give you the publicly known aspects of Red Storm. How much your character is aware of is your call. Just try to react appropriately to the virtual environment?
i]The Unholy Immortal of Red Storm,
The Merciless Co-Immortal of House Kurac,
The Tyrannical Developer of Skill_Wagonmaking,[/i]
Gesht

It's really sad that in the time it took me to carefully word that post, three people responded saying almost the same information. I really hate pink eye.
i]The Unholy Immortal of Red Storm,
The Merciless Co-Immortal of House Kurac,
The Tyrannical Developer of Skill_Wagonmaking,[/i]
Gesht

I just want to add that everyone is different.  Many people there might be ok with it, some scared, others might kill the magicker.  They won't ALL act the same way.

Quote from: "Suss"I just want to add that everyone is different.  Many people there might be ok with it, some scared, others might kill the magicker.  They won't ALL act the same way.

I'm betting the miltia will all react, because it's a law, but then other people might do all different kinds of stuff
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Trenidor"I'm betting the miltia will all react, because it's a law, but then other people might do all different kinds of stuff

The militia will only react if Joe Random Magicker starts casting in the middle of town. If Joe Random Magicker keeps the few laws there are in town, they're not going to bother him. Red Storm's just that sort of keep-to-yourself place.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?