Author Topic: A Clanned Nomad?  (Read 1119 times)

Realedazed

A Clanned Nomad?
« on: April 12, 2004, 08:56:55 PM »
This may be a silly question, but would it be very bad RP for a nomadic or tribal character to try to join a clan. I mean, when I think of them, I think of loner types who either hunt and live with the rest of the tribe or just alone.  I can think of a few reasons why one would want to up with a clan, but would it be bad RP to do so? Thanks.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Tamarin

A Clanned Nomad?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 09:02:49 PM »
There is one clan that I would think its acceptable...-maybe- two.  Beyond that, I think its a bit of an awkward thing to play.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

EvilRoeSlade

A Clanned Nomad?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 09:34:29 PM »
A nomad is a wanderer.  Therefore, if you join a clan you are not a nomad.
Back from a long retirement

Angela Christine

A Clanned Nomad?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »
A tribal character was born and raised in a tribe.  To join most clans you would have to stop living with your family and tribe.  That could happen.  

Why aren't you living with your tribe?  Are trying to prove yourself?  Is it some sort of right of passage?  Were you exiled from your tribe as a punishment?  Was everyone but you killed?  (Don't do that last one, it's been done to death).  Are you looking for someone, like your sister who ran off with a cityman, or perhaps a cityman of your own who you had a brief fling with before he went home?  The reason you left home will affect whether you would join a formal organization, and if so which ones you would want to join.

Assuming that your tribe and family still exist, and you have some hope of seeing them again, you probably won't join a clan that requires a life long commitment.  You also probably won't want to a join a clan that demands that they have your sole loyalty, which is all of them, but you can always lie about that, most people do.  Do you really forsake your loyalty to your family, your city and your god just to get a job or join the Byn?  No, of course you don't.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Teleri

A Clanned Nomad?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 09:48:53 PM »
Nomads would never join a clan other than their own family or wandering band.  That's what makes them nomads:  they don't settle down.  Even if their entire family and tribe was wiped out, and they knew nobody else alive, they'd probably still wander the sands.  To a lifelong nomad, city life would be completely foreign and probably even frightening.  With those walls and all those outsiders inside, you could be trapped and killed or anything else horrible could happen to you.

Depending on the tribe, some may send someone out to join with a merchant house or something temporary to get some knowledge.  Then, the tribal would likely return back to their people and share what they learned from their time with the other clan.  I can't see many tribes doing this, at least not the elven ones, but it could happen.  

So, yeah...just about everything AC said.

Gilvar

A Clanned Nomad?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 12:46:29 AM »
A member of a group of people who have no fixed home and move according to the seasons from place to place in search of food, water, and grazing land.
A person with no fixed residence who roams about; a wanderer.

It'd be very hard to fit a nomad into a clan. But at the same time, they don't have to remain a nomad forever. its supposed to represent their background and present (at the point of creation), but not future.