Ansi and helping to see

Started by Green Sparkles, November 11, 2002, 02:07:21 PM

This is probably an old idea but since I am basically brand new to the game and I didnt see the topic here, I wanted to bring it up. There is another MUD that offers ANSI coloring. It helps to see characters and objects. The MUD seems grat so far but I was wondering if ANSI colors might ever be used? It would help me but maybe create problems I dont realize. Thank you
[Thou art] already dead. stabbed with a white wench's black eye, run through the ear with a love song, the very pin of [thy] heart cleft with the blind bow-boy's butt shaft."

Taken from: Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Shakespeare

Welcome to Armageddon!

The reason there are no colors is:  It helps keep things realistic.  I know this might sound odd to you.  We value roleplaying, and staying In-Character.  The lack of colors helps us keep from differentiating from the NPCs and the PCs.
To clarify - if you had colors, and were able to tell which people are NPCs more easily, it would allow you to ignore them, and focus only on PCs.  While this works for some muds, it does not in this case since many NPCs are valuabe to the RP'ing experience.
The only case I know of where there is colors is when you are in combat.  The hits on you are in bright white color, contrasting with the dull white/grey.  I know some players have clients that allows them to highlight certain texts in color.
-G
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of."
Benjamin Franklin  (1706-1790).  Poor Richard's Almanack.

I agree with Gem.

Some people use their clients to highlight some things that they really wouldn't miss, such things like corpses, Meks, Bahamets, magick etc. But yes, ANSI color would really throw off the mood of Arm for me, so I'm personally against it. Though I think it's fine to try and highlight certain things for yourself through your client.

I have yet to see a mud that has different colors for their NPCs and PCs. I have however seen different colors between people (NPCs and PCs share the same color), objects, room titles, room exits, and, on occation, animals (meaning those non-humanoid things).

But never have I found colors used to differentiate between NPCs and PCs. So, are you certain this is the reason there is no color?

I once played a mud, where when you get high everything goes funky colors... anyway. If you want color use zmud triggers, the how-to guide is somewhere in the archive.

Quote from: "N/A"I once played a mud, where when you get high everything goes funky colors...

Coby is a jerk.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Thank you for that welcome. That was sweet :)

I can understand everything that is said. I am just so new to this telnet client stuff (I feel like such a geek for knowing this!). You cant even believe how far I have come in a year.

If someone could give me help on a client that would make the YOU stand out in red or something and maybe a new client. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thank you!
[Thou art] already dead. stabbed with a white wench's black eye, run through the ear with a love song, the very pin of [thy] heart cleft with the blind bow-boy's butt shaft."

Taken from: Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet Shakespeare

Quote from: "Green Sparkles"If someone could give me help on a client that would make the YOU stand out in red or something and maybe a new client. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thank you!

People are gonna think I'm getting paid cause I plug this thing so much, but I like this one. http://www.ashavar.com/client Or, you could to a web search for 'MUD clients' and try out a few yourself.  :)
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Here's another good list we should put up in its own locked thread or page, if we haven't already (figure one of the 'helpers' would have posted it if it's already out there somewhere).  Clients!

Windows:
GMud
MUSHClient
ZMud

Those are probably the most common and most versatile.  ZMud is harder to get away with not paying for, however.  All should be easily locatable doing a web search.  I'd list more but I'm late for something else!

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

I highly recommend SimpleMU. I've been using it for years.. plus, if you register, you can get a built in spell checker. I've only recently registered.. and other than a few "weirdnesses" with the checker, it works very nicely. Even if you don't register.. There's no timer that locks down the program after x-number of days, you have triggers, which are capable of changing the color of text, you have a whole slew of nice nifty things. As a role-player, these are adequate. As a power-leveler, these aren't.

http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/

I would stay away from zMUD for Armageddon. It has a small but very annoying bug that crops up with Armageddon's emote system - the ~ or tilde doesn't work correctly.

example:

:gives ~black a sideways glance.

--would not turn out as

a tall woman gives a black-skinned elf a sideways glance.

--it would turn out as

a tall woman gives black a sideways glance.

Yes, it is very annoying. I'm using the java client while I search around for a better MU* client. Maybe I'll try SimpleMU.

That little problem can be easiely fixed with zMUD.

But I'm not going to tell you.

Creeper  :twisted:

P.S. Go into preferences into something about special characters take out the tilde and anything else you use for Arm, bodabing bodaboom! All fixed.

Creeper  8)
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Falsetto"I highly recommend SimpleMU.
I use SimpleMU as well, it is very good.
 don't eat everyone.