Started by Sephiroto, November 06, 2002, 11:35:32 PM

Would you like to see duals?

Yes
17 (51.5%)
No
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: November 06, 2002, 11:35:32 PM

I, probally the only one, would like to see duals.  Ways to dual in the streets without being caught by the crim code.  Duals like in Romeo and Juliet via a special set of weapons or a command that can be intered by both parties within a few seconds of one another.  

I would like to see that elf duel that militia soldier or Templar before he is slaughtered anyway.  Or that lazy noble to be challenged, though the one dishonoring the noble would most likely be saught after and killed anyway.  Perhaps dualing as a differentiated skill from combat, that or not based on strenght.  Almost like fencing.  Any combat more brutal than that would not, imo, qualify as a dual.  Duals are chivarious, but while chivalry does not exist in Zalanathas, honor does.

I would be completely against any code that A) Prevents me from attacking anyone because one of us is not using the proper weapon, and B) That would stop combat, or prevent me from making the combat lethal.  In other words, I would be completely against any sort of dueling code.  Zalanthas is not a place where chivalry is known, much less common.  Militia should and will crack the skulls of any idiot opening fighting in public.  Further, if someone does consent to a duel, and they go to a place where the militia will not interfere, like the Arena or the desert, then if one of the people decides that dropping his dueling weapon in favor of a poisoned knife, or going for a killing blow is a good idea, then they should be able to.  

If you want to duel, you have plenty of options.  There are many places where the crime code is turned off.  Further, if you really want to make a scene, then you can always ask a templar or a noble to throw the two of you in the arena and have your duel out in public.  I have seen plenty of duels take place where one person will challenge another loudly to a duel, the two duelers go into the desert (generally followed by a crowd of eager tavern patrons), and they can have at it.  If they want to add rules to the duel, it is up to them to enforce it.

I can remember fighting two duels with my characters; one win, one loss. Now, I don't see any
problem in having to leave the law-abiding streets of the city where the vigilant militia keep an
eye out for trouble to find a quieter spot. It's how duels were usually held throughout history...
people didn't just pick a fight in the main street of a civilised town, they skulked off at dawn
to a field and had it out there.

Now, if I remember my Shakespeare, Romeo got crim-flagged (with a penalty of death) for his
duelling, which would have forced him to leave the city. This is already in place in Arm. As to
your examples.. I can't see a templar condescending to treat an elf as an honourable opponent,
and I could easily see militia misunderstanding someone drawing weapons on a noble in a public
place, necessitating the withdrawal of both parties to a more secluded location.

Duelling in the streets is unrealistic. Duelling on Arm however is not all that uncommon, and
is implemented just fine using the combat code as it is already.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Want a non-leathal duel?

Type the following:

1) mercy on
2) emote delivers a limp-wristed slap across %<person> face.
3) draw <weapon>
4) kill <person>

Enjoy.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Acctually, Romeo was banished because he killed another of a high ranking house without(What the other family beleived and the Prince agreed with) proper cause. It wasn't strictly because of the dual it was because of the death of another noble basically. If it was a family member for a family member it would probably have been considered fair justice but Romeo's friend wasn't a family member, he was just a friend and I think a servant of the family.

But from what I've seen Armageddon doesn't parralel a medeival society with any type of strict honor system. It's more like the evil medeival societies(I'm thinking the type of place Vladd the Impaler[AKA "Dracula"] ran). Places where the rulers rule with an iron fist, they don't want fighting in the streets because it boldens people, there might become a fight against the authorities. By stopping even small fights it shows they have the power to control even the small things in your life.

Creeper who thinks societies in general just suck.
21sters Unite!