Exotic?

Started by Cuusardo, February 21, 2004, 01:25:32 PM

Quote from: "spawnloser"If everyone enjoyed being a twink, would that make it right?

I don't think this could reasonably be compared to twinking, since it is completely consistent with the documentation.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Can pale fuschia work?  :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

SheLeah wrote:
QuoteCan pale fuschia work?  

OOoo! Pretty! YOu give me ideas!
The Duty Of The One Inspired By The Muse~
          ~~
So sleep now
my longing heart, do not worry I won't tarry.
We shall be together in your dreams,
to be happy and make merry.
               ~~

..I know.. I'm a romantic.. its disgusting..

Quote from: "Carida"
OOoo! Pretty! YOu give me ideas!

Don't call it fuschia, call it...

the pale ginka-sorbet colored woman

You gotta Armageddon it, right?   :wink:
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: "spawnloser"If everyone enjoyed being a twink, would that make it right?

There is nothing wrong with a PC having fair skin.

I'm not sure where you get the idea it's a good comparison.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "Callisto"

There is nothing wrong with a PC having fair skin.

I'm not sure where you get the idea it's a good comparison.

Anything to prove a point!  :wink:

I feel if you wish to roleplay having fair skin, then have at fiend. Just remember that more than likely you do not represent the "norm" for your area.

If you do something unrealistic within the context of the game, simply because you want to, how is that not similar to twinking?  Tell me that.

And yes, anything to prove a point.  I was not saying that anyone with a pale character is being twinky, so look for the message, not just the words.

Now, also, I never said you can't have a character with pale skin, just think about why your character has pale skin before making the character.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteIf you do something unrealistic within the context of the game, simply because you want to, how is that not similar to twinking? Tell me that.

Because twinking is done to generally improve your character's skills or situation. I don't see how pale skin is improving a character's skin or improving any sort of situation they have at all.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Again I will say, I did not say it was the same, Carnage, only similar in that it is unrealistic for everyone to be pale in a world like this.  Got it yet?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It's not unrealistic for an individual to be pale, though.   It fits fine with the game world.  So what's the problem?   Sure, eveyone shouldn't be pale.  Everyone shouldn't be muscular.   Everyone shouldn't be tall.    Everyone shouldn't be (fill in any possible adjective you can think of).
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "spawnloser"Again I will say, I didn't not say it was the same, Carnage, only similar in that it is unrealistic for everyone to be pale in a world like this.  Got it yet?

Nope.

Despite what you believe, there's no connection to pale skin and twinking. The 'unrealistic so it's similar' card is bullshit. Random mutations. Clothing covering the entire body. Whatever. If you want to say that, then not being hairy is similar to being twinkish too. As well as having wide nostrils or large ears or whatever logical adaption to the desert there is.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Quote from: "Carnage"Because twinking is done to generally improve your character's skills or situation. I don't see how pale skin is improving a character's skin or improving any sort of situation they have at all.

Never met a fuck-me, eh?  Consider yourself lucky.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Carnage"Because twinking is done to generally improve your character's skills or situation. I don't see how pale skin is improving a character's skin or improving any sort of situation they have at all.

Never met a fuck-me, eh?  Consider yourself lucky.

What? Do you mean they 'twink' by mudsexing for an IC day or something?

I can't see how a beautiful character can be considered a twink. If we all made ugly characters, then the person who spent the least amount of time describing how much feces was smeared over their crooked nose would be the twink and the f-me.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Note what I was responding to.  You say you don't see how pale skin is improving a character's situation.  I however, see a clear way in which it improves a character's situation.

(The rest of my post is not a response to Carnage.)

That however, isn't the issue I've chosen to crusade in this thread.  I don't really mind a bunch of people with pale skin.  If anything, I'm disturbed not by the people who are playing pale Fuck-mes, but the men who are going after skinny, pale girls instead of the plump, dark-skinned ones.

What I want is a unifying, region-based skin tone.  If the immortals came out and said: "Everyone on Zalanthas has pale skin, and the ones with dark skin stand out" then though I wouldn't be pleased, I would be more content than I am with the situation as it is now.

I realize it says in the documentation that humans have a wide range of skin tones.  So nobody is -really- doing anything wrong.  But I also realize that humans on Earth also have a wide range of skin tones, but they are far from random.  I speak under the assumption that skin tones on Zalanthas are not random either.  I know that there is an exception to this rule in the case of mutations.  In my opinion, this gives license for players to play any skin tone they want, but doesn't excuse the lack of documentation on the subject.  All that I'm asking for is a place on the documentation where it says Nak = dark features, Tuluk = fair features, or something similar.  Previously I thought it already said that somewhere, and I still do.  If anybody knows where it says that, please post the link on this thread.

I think this is what you're looking for (although maybe it's elsewhere too)

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/quickstart.html

Although I don't interpret this as you should be able to pick northern and southern people out of a lineup necessarily.

I am grateful, Flurry.  Here's the portion most relevant to this discussion:

Quote from: "Quickstart"Southerners tend to be darker in skin and hair color than northerners. Very few fair-skinned people exist. There are some mutations among commoners; you are advised to keep them to a minimum in your first character.

QuoteAvoid imposing your own interpretations and norms on the game world.

I rather like this part...I think alot of us should remember that.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

That quote was intended to remind newbies that life and culture on Zalanthas is very different from life and culture on earth.  You are using it out of context.

QuoteSoutherners tend to be darker in skin and hair color than northerners.

There simply aren't two ways to interpret that statement.

Or this one.

QuoteVery few fair-skinned people exist.

It may be that there isn't enough isolation to make that sort of distinction plausible.  There were tons of southern soldiers occupying the north for 40 years, and I'm sure they somtimes turned their amorous attentions to the locals.  The merchant houses routinely trade personel up and down the north road.  Even some relatively isolated groups like the Muark routinely adventure in one city or the other.  Sure, most Tulukis never go south of the shield wall, and most 'Nakkies never go north of it, but they aren't sufficiently isolated enough for a really unique northern or southern look.  For example:  It could be that 2/3 of people in Tuluk have red hair, while only 1/4 of people in Allanak have red hair, so in general Tulukies are more red-haired than Allanakies -- BUT red hair alone couldn't identify your place of birth because redhead are commone everywhere.  (Note: this is a fictitious example, I'm not really claiming that there are that many redhead).

Isolated tribes can have a distinct look, but the cities are melting pots composed of people formerly from dozens of tribes.  

As for being adapted to the climate, I'm not sure that is even possible because the climate is still a moving target.  Some area descriptions imply that they were far more lush even a few centuries ago.  Something happened a couple thousand years ago that nearly destroyed the environment, possibly did destroy it outside the known world, but it isn't over yet.  The world is still in it's death throws, and things will only get worse.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Here we go again...*sigh*

QuoteThat quote was intended to remind newbies that life and culture on Zalanthas is very different from life and culture on earth. You are using it out of context.

Quote:
Southerners tend to be darker in skin and hair color than northerners.

There simply aren't two ways to interpret that statement.

a) I was merely pointing out something it stated in the docs...I don't see how I was -using- it in any, way shape or form...just merely pointing it out.
And I wouldn't think that this stops applying once you are no longer a newbie.

b) It says they -tend- to be darker...this, as was stated does not mean they all are easily identifiable as from being from north or south...or that they all are this way...there is just a tendency to.

Because it's fun to throw gasoline on a bonfire, documentation for at least one noble house states the following:

QuoteThey're known to be thin and slightly angular, taking on a gaunt appearance. They have dark eyes and gently-curling black hair that conflict with their pale skin.

But if you want to get all technical about it, Sol is a golden G-type star, while Suk-Krath is a red giant.  The result is a shift in the color spectrum to the red.  As a result, you get things like green appearing to be black, etc.  The point being, "colors" as we know them would be completely different on Zalanthas, so the idea of "pale" versus "dark" skin is moot because there is no point of reference to scale the relative differences.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "Angela Christine"It may be that there isn't enough isolation to make that sort of distinction plausible.

That's speculation.  However, you have a valid point.  I have some speculation that I hope you'll find is equally valid.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"There were tons of southern soldiers occupying the north for 40 years, and I'm sure they somtimes turned their amorous attentions to the locals.

There you are wrong, from what I know.  You can't expect a soldier to stay away from his home for fourty years, even if you -are- a cruel and merciless templar.  I have heard in game that most of the soldiers occupying Tuluk were themselves of Tuluki descent.  After the first moments of occupation, anyway.  

That's not speculation, though admittedly I don't think it mentions it anywhere in the documentation.  Still, it would appear to make sense.

Quote from: Angela Christine"The merchant houses routinely trade personel up and down the north road.  Even some relatively isolated groups like the Muark routinely adventure in one city or the other.

Agreed.  As I've mentioned, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that an Allanaki templar could take some person who -looks- like he was born in Tuluk, and give him a lucrative spying contract because they have on record that he was born in Allanak and know it for a fact.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Sure, most Tulukis never go south of the shield wall, and most 'Nakkies never go north of it, but they aren't sufficiently isolated enough for a really unique northern or southern look.

It doesn't have to be really unique, it merely has to be notably distinct.  If it wasn't the latter, I don't think it would have been in the documentation.  From my experience regarding racism, the less difference there are between two people, the harder they will look at the differences that do exist.  Allanak and Tuluk have been at war physically, spiritually, and ethically on probably every ground that matters to anyone for as long as anybody can remember.  I think they have ample reasons to look at their friends and neighbors very, very hard and carefully.  If an Allanaki mob lynches someone because he didn't have quite the right look about him, who can really say whether or not he was a Tuluki?  He can't breed now that he's dead.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Isolated tribes can have a distinct look, but the cities are melting pots composed of people formerly from dozens of tribes.

A melting pot is a city where people lose the identity they formerly had.  Either city state is far larger than any tribe, and they can probably absorb the impact of refugees on the gene pool without changing their general appearance.  Remember that all physical traits generally associated with a region are likely to be dominant genes, since those are the only ones that would have survived the massive amounts of genetic intermingling that have occured far in the past.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"The world is still in it's death throws, and things will only get worse.

Oh yeah baby.

I just don't see why jhunter and carnage insist on taking the speshul snowflake pale fuck-me's side..instead of looking at the BULK of what we're saying.. "Pale people are coo'..but the abundance of people would have general traits, esp. with the allanaki/tulukian hatreds 'n junk..'

now..wait.. let's insert some thought... Can you do it ? oop..there you go

THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ON ZALANTHAS ARE DARK SKINNED IT SAYS SO IN THE DOCS STFU, YOUR POINT IS NO LONGER VALID BECAUSE ERS AND I ARE SAYING THAT PALE PEOPLE ARE OK BUT STILL NOT THE NORM AND WILL SET YOU APART..SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE THAT YOU ARE.

end thought process..watch for flaming hair.

Now..consider..oh wait, we just did.

Edited: Because Docks and Docs are very separate things..
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Could you please refrain from flaming?

Telling someone to shut the fuck up is as good as a flame IMHO.

So? I don't get the real plot in this argument. If you're telling that people should not be allowed to create a pale char; nope. They can and they will. Even albinos are allowed by the staff if you play it correctly. If you're arguing just to remind that pale skinned people are extraordinary and shouldn't be created frequently by PC's, yep you're right.
If my next char would be a merchant class character who would join Kadius and stay in the compound crafting all his life, I would see no harm in making him/her pale. I would again, see no harm in doing a pale 'rinthi. And the staff would probably approve that. But my char would probably be 'normal', dark skinned. I just like to have the possibility.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]