Skinning and weapons type.

Started by Freman Scum, November 04, 2002, 02:00:24 PM

Currently weapons that skin and weapons that don't are rather silly.

Slashing weapons don't skin and stabbing weapons do???

Did I miss something here?

When I gutted and skinned the dear I shot (mmm...venison) I used a short bladed knife, very sharp edge, almost no point.

I've seen stelletos that you can skin with.  For those of you that don't know, a stelleto doesn't have an edge, just a point.  I've seen training daggers that can skin, and training daggers litterally don't have anything even resembeling an edge or even a sharp point.

Most axes you can skin with in game, and in a pinch IRL you might pull it off, but I won't reach for an axe unless there was wood that needed chopping (skinning needs a thin sharp blade, axes are mostly just big wedges).

You can not skin with a sword in game.  Since a sword has a cutting edge, that's just silly.

You can skin with most daggers...but not with all knives.

Just my personal opinion here, but I think skinning should be redone.

To any Imms, I'd be more than happy to go through and change that flag on all the weapons if you see fit to give me acess.

Not that I think that will happen, but I hate it when people complain and aren't willing to help out.
For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.~

Hmm... Well I can see the reasoning they have it as it is although it is alittle funny... Slashing weapons can't because most slashing weapons aren't meant to cut by sharpness alone... I do know alot of the bigger metal swords IRL weren't extremely sharp... and some fairly dull made to rend through armour and flesh by force... And I'm sure bone and wood weapons wouldn't keep much of an edge... Even if you made them sharp they'd get dull getting banged against other bone and weapons... Not completely dull but wouldn't keep a good egde... And even with obsidian I can see it not keeping an edge for too long against strong bone armours and such because of it chipping and such... Still keeping the idea that Zalanthian weapon ideals can't be too far off from earth's...

Now, with knives mostly they have either a single edge or a single edge plus a half... And can be used for slashing or stabbing... But mostly stabbing and the blade is there to do more damage once entered.. You can't do much damage with a knife by slashing at people because less force means not as deep wounds, when adding any type of armour it would be harder to cause damage
21sters Unite!

Hmm... Well I can see the reasoning they have it as it is although it is alittle funny... Slashing weapons can't because most slashing weapons aren't meant to cut by sharpness alone... I do know alot of the bigger metal swords IRL weren't extremely sharp... and some fairly dull made to rend through armour and flesh by force... And I'm sure bone and wood weapons wouldn't keep much of an edge... Even if you made them sharp they'd get dull getting banged against other bone and weapons... Not completely dull but wouldn't keep a good egde... And even with obsidian I can see it not keeping an edge for too long against strong bone armours and such because of it chipping and such... Still keeping the idea that Zalanthian weapon ideals can't be too far off from earth's...

Now, with knives mostly they have either a single edge or a single edge plus a half... And can be used for slashing or stabbing... But mostly stabbing and the blade is there to do more damage once entered.. You can't do much damage with a knife by slashing at people because less force means not as deep wounds, when adding any type of armour it would be harder to cause damage....

Hmm... I can see being able to skin with most daggers... Two edges mostly, more chance of having on that keeps an edge.... But daggers in a fight used for piercing/stabbing same reason for knifes... By stabbing it in the depth of the wound is only lessoned by the length of the blade... And more damage can be caused by jerking the weapon in other directions...

As with stillettos... I can possibly see skinning with one but thats mostly because they are really fine, normally needle like... Almost acting like a blade all around... but also I think a stilletto can also have a slightly flatter blade... It'd be difficult to cut through meat or chitin with a stilletto but you could use it to remove leather and such from meat...

Who knows... It could use alittle tweaking, perhaps just bug weapons you think should be able to skin with? Don't know if that would help any but might make them look into why it's a slashing weapon instead of stabbing?

Need an Admin opinion, but I think if something should be possible to skin with it would be reasonable to bug it....

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Creeper, why do you always need an admin opinion with every post?  Rhetorical question, don't answer please.  Really, don't answer.

As far as skinning goes, I think it was done for simplicities sake.  A simple quick fix would be to just add a "skinning" flag so weapons that should be able to skin can, and those that shouldn't can't, regardless of weapon type.  True we wont see many bludgeoners that can extract a fine piece of chitin, but a few of those slashing knives would, while some of the stabbers (see stiletto) would not.  A simple motd like the broken bottles, something along the lines of "If you think your weapon should be able to skin, email and we will look into it" would get the job done.  It wouldn't happen overnight, but it would happen.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Bah, just buy a skinning knife.  They don't cost much and they only weigh a couple stone.  A skinning knife is obviously perfect for skinning, I don't know if it actually gives a skill bonus like some tools do, but even if it doesn't it makes sense to use the right tool for the job.  Sure you could make do with almost any blade, but a skinning knife is exactly the right shape and size.  And since you don't use your skinning knife in combat (unless you get really unlucky) the blade stays pretty sharp.

8) Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Acctually it would be much more polite to ask for admins opinion much more often then I do... But I really don't need to... If something is unclear or alittle off in my post my "post butler" comes along and fixes everything up... It seems John isn't much of an early person though... Least by US time standards.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Marc"Creeper, why do you always need an admin opinion with every post?  Rhetorical question, don't answer please.  Really, don't answer.

Thanks
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: "Marc"
Quote from: "Marc"Creeper, why do you always need an admin opinion with every post?  Rhetorical question, don't answer please.  Really, don't answer.

Thanks

If you didn't want him to answer, then you shouldn't have asked.

Stop trying to pick fights.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Actually... To be really picky like everyone is with my posts... I never acctually answered his question... I spoke of things related to his question but never came anywhere near answering WHY I do... So Blah!

Creeper

Imagines starting/joining a large crazy online Armageddon Gang... But whoever starts it better watch out... If it isn't AC starting it I'll conspire to get her into leadership!
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"It seems John isn't much of an early person though
I was sleeping due to the fact it was 5:00 AM. And AFAIK no specific weapon types are ALL skinning and there is a flag. IMO axes shouldn't be skinnable weapons, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Also I'd like an Imms opinion cause if I'm gunna start typo-ing weapons that should/shouldn't be skinnable then I'm gunna want an Imm to say it's okay so i don't annoy them.

John, who had no intention to replying to this but creeper did so he had too.

QuoteBah, just buy a skinning knife.

I agree 100%. I mean if we can skin with every single weapon then whats the point of having skinning knives. I am no hunter in RL but there are skinning knives designed for skinning. Ofcourse you could manage to do it using your good old swiss army knife but why? If you are a hunter and plan on skinning you will most likely already have a skinning knife.

Remember there is a fine line between playability and realism. If we wanted to have Zalanthas 100% realistic we would not be able to play it. With that in mind take AC's advice and spend a few sid for a skinning knife, if you plan on skinning. If you are in a pinch and don't have one, skin with what you have if you cannot due to code emote trying and fucking up and next time you see a skinning knife for sale think "Hmm...I could have used this last Nekret when I needed to skin that rabbit, what the Krath it's pretty cheap I'll buy it in case I need it again...." I hope you get what I am trying to say.

Quote from: "Plazgoth"I hope you get what I am trying to say.

I'm actually not sure:  your suggestion is to ignore the weapons currently flagged skinnable, rather than "fix" them, and rely on that fancy ulu in your pocket?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I think that what's he saying is if your going to be skinning alot that you might as well use a weapon that is made for skinning... Or something like that...

Although I think the weapons should be fixed...

Creeper

Plazgoth
Lazloth

Anyone else suspucious about that? It's alittle close... Whats that... Six of the same letters...
21sters Unite!

Sure ignore how weapons are flagged. I had no idea you can skin with an axe until I read this thread. And I've had characters who use axes as a primary weapon. Why didn't I know you ask? I never tried it, it made no sense to skin with an axe. I always used a skinning knife.

Quote from: "Plazgoth"Sure ignore how weapons are flagged.

Exactly.  I can skin with my tarantula fang, but how exactly am I supposed to emote that?  Stab the corpse till the good bits fall off?
I think regular daggers are perfectly reasonable for skinning, though.  If my primary weapon is a long, sharp, obsidian dagger or longknife, why fumble about with an old piece of yellowed bone?
The flags should be changed.  Take skinning of alot of weapons, put skinning on longknives.