Siege Weapons

Started by SailorMars, January 11, 2004, 07:37:50 PM

Quote from: "spawnloser"Just to play devil's advocate, Tuluk does not use magickers and has plenty of wood to make siege weapons from...and may just want to have them to break down someone's walls.

That is utterly wrong.  Tuluk does use magik.  They do not counter Allanaki magik with good thoughts and cheer.  Just think about it for a few seconds.  If Tuluk didn't use magik, why wouldn't Allanak just send in two Whirians and let them destroy the place?  Does Tuluk use magik openly?  No, not even with their templars?  Do they have magik?  They have a freaking God King and Templars who are there for more then just looking scary - and that is just the stuff that is commonly known, you answer the question.  

Also recall that during the retaking Tuluk some how managed to blast open the gates of Tuluk (without siege weapons I might add).  I'll give you a hint how they did it, they didn't use snuggles or loves to do it.

Do northerners eat meat? If they don't it would be hard to eat those damned mantis.  :lol:

I happen to think even the smallest of tribes could make a relatively simple siege weapon, I mean how hard could it be to tie a log to a couple kanks and charge an enemies camp, to knock through and over several buildings?

With that, they might not know how to make a trebuchet, or a ballista, or a basilisk, But they could probably build ram-like weapons to knock things over and brake them.

Forgive my stupidity, but what is a basilisk? Isn't that some Snakey-dog looking ancient mystical creature that could turn you to stone if you looked it in the eye?

If it isn't then yea, or if that is also, what is a -siege engine- basilisk?

Just curious is all, thanks : )

they mean ballista I think

Tuluk doesn't go in for vulgar displays of magick, but that doesn't mean they don't have any.  I mean, they have freaks with tentical-mouths, what's a little magick next to that?  :P  Still, since Tulukis are not used to magick, they might go ahead and build artillery because a catapult will reasure your people without freaking them out.

A basilisk seige engine would involve building a moble tower and setting a basilisk on top of it.  That way the basilisk could see over the wall to turn people to stone.  No point having a basilisk that can't see the enemy.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteName one place that does not use magikers, that has to deal with walls that need a siege weapon, AND has the scentific ability to actually make one. The answer is that there exist no such group in common knowledge. Tuluk and Allanak are the only places in the known world with the kind of literacy and wealth to build such exotic weapons. So stupid desert elf tribe in the wastes that refuses to use magikers is not going to have the knowledge to build such a weapon, much less ever run into a wall worthy of using a weapon like that on.

Spawnloser already answered this but I'll take it a bit farther.

Tuluk does not use magickers, the practice of magick in and around tuluk is illegal except for the templarate and magickers of any type are to be killed on sight by the legion. And considering that Tuluk is one of the cities that even you state as having the wealth/knowledge/power to build such weapons...... Not to mention an abundance of materials.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteAlso recall that during the retaking Tuluk some how managed to blast open the gates of Tuluk (without siege weapons I might add). I'll give you a hint how they did it, they didn't use snuggles or loves to do it.

Flash powder.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "X-D"Tuluk does not use magickers, the practice of magick in and around tuluk is illegal except for the templarate and magickers of any type are to be killed on sight by the legion. And considering that Tuluk is one of the cities that even you state as having the wealth/knowledge/power to build such weapons...... Not to mention an abundance of materials.

Templars fall very squarely into the 'magikal' category.  Even if they didn't and even if Tuluk had not a single magik wielding person in the lot of them, then there would be the obvious problem that their main enemy, Allanak, does hold a rather large number of magikers.  What happens when you combine a single Allanaki Krathi and a few million 'sid worth of siege engines?  A very large camp fire.

Tuluk would be foolish to run around with siege weapons.  A big bulky siege engine made of wood is a very large and obvious target for the first 'nakkie magiker to wiggle his finger at it.  Any such engine is going to need magikal defense if it intends to be thrown up against a magikal army, which Allanak very much is.  Wherever there is a battle that Allanak is involved with, always, without exception, they bring along a horde of magikers.  

So, unless the Tuluki templars feel like spending their time trying desperately to fend of magikal attacks to their rather large and obvious siege engines instead of doing useful, like tearing down the walls themselves, a siege engine serves no other purpose then to keep the troops warm at night as they burn.

Just going off of common knowledge, it is common knowledge that Tuluk makes use of magik.  The difference is that they are generally not so blatant as Allanak.  The rebels managed to breach the walls of Tuluk easily in the last war and they didn't do it by setting up siege weapons and pounding on the walls for a few days.  Tuluk managed to some how neutralize the magikal component of Allanak's army enough to win.  Tuluk found itself a loyal mutant freaking army.  This isn't a deep dark well of IC knowledge I am gushing.  This is all commonly known stuff.  Most people should be able to put two and two together and realize that Tuluk has magik working to keep the cogs running and Allanak from over running them.

Siege weapons are silly, expensive, and foolish for armies that don't siege and use magik as the ultimate siege weapon.  Magik IS the ultimate siege weapon, and any power worth its salt has them.

At this point I'm going to leave off as pretty much anything I use to argue is far to IC to mention, though in the one battle you mention, very little, if any magick was used.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Basilisk is a cannon, Or so people from where I live call them :)
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

That's kinda weird. I did a google and various dictionary searches and came up with nothing but dragon/serpents.

hm.. Slang words aren't very good then.. *Shrug* Or.. I'm not willing to admit myself wrong..  :lol:
Anyways.. I don't see any problem with small scale siege weapons.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "sacac"Basilisk is a cannon, Or so people from where I live call them :)

are you thinking balistic?

I think I've heard the term used to describe a cannon before...although I think it may have been the name for a specific one or something.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote: are you thinking balistic?

*cackles*

Awesome.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com