How rich is rich

Started by Deathtakeusall, January 07, 2004, 08:10:46 PM

I was just rounding how rich is rich
because i am a longneeck and can make up to 400 sid an ic day

Am i richer than 'tek
Go ahead take it what harm could it do"

I think when your bank account starts to near 500k, you can begin to think yourself affluent.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Now I have depressions...
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Rampant inflation in Armageddon. Some people think fifty sid(which can buy you a nice meal at a fine restaurant) should be a lot, others think it's nothing. Money doesn't have the power that it should have. Lots of people scoff at fifty sid as if it's absolutely nothing.

Everybody needs food and water to survive. You take your average commoner: he doesn't have l33t pickpocketing skills, or picklock skills. He's not a master warrior or a master hunter, and he doesn' t know how to brew poisons, either. He mines sid for a living, and occassionally uses his muscle in building projects. He probably scrounges by, eats travel cakes every day, and when he's robbed, he nearly starves. You could make this guy do -anything- for 1k sid, probably a lot less.

Realistically, your character has to eat and drink every day, probably more than that, but that's taken care of "virtually" and never deducted from your account, so people live very cheaply. There's no fear of starving if you don't work hard.

5k is a good amount. 50k is filthy, stinking rich. Money doesn't add much more to your characters though. I've had filthy rich ones and things started to drop off in the action, in my opinion.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Heh, 500k is more than I can imagine. There's a huge barrier between the poor and the rich, and the PCs are usually either middle-class or rich.

I've had characters that would have licked your shoes clean and performed certain stud services for your diseased old mother for 50 'sid.

Edit:  If she was elven, it would have been an extra 50. :)

Heh, want to see a char that money means something too, be a runner:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Meh, a few hundred saved up in the bank is probably better than most VNPC commoners. Me, I like surviving from day to day. Having only a few extra hundred sids in the bank is fun, IMHO. Fifty 'sid is enough to survive for a few IC days, nothing to be scoffed at.

And yeah, desert elves care little for 'sid, just tangible items that they can trade and use. What's 'sid worth, really? You can't eat it or drink it or fight with it. Only thing you can do with it is trade, which is only important to a select few d-elves.

But if you want rich, a rich commoner would probably be 5-10k. A rich merchant would probably be 50k or so. Noble or templar would probably be 400-500k. It's all comparative.

Rich is more than just the ammount of coins in your bank account.  It's the silver around your neck, and the wagon in your estate.  It's the food you eat every day and the type of spice you smoke in the Trader's Inn.

-That- is rich.

However.  Compaired to the 'rinth:

100 coins is worth dying over.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

lol.. yeah.. My elves go to the grocery store and say 12 'sid for a sack of flour!

And it says somewhere that the average commone ronly makes about 300 coin a year.. You know? Rich for them would be 400 coins.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "X-D"Heh, want to see a char that money means something too, be a runner:)

No shit, X-D, no shit.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I think the keyword here would be if one -has- a bank account.  My guess is most people in the world A.  Have to use every sid they have to servive.  and B.  Don't have an actual, regular paying job.

What people have to keep in mind is how -very little- % of the population is represented by PCs.  And even out of the PC population, many play the lower-upper crust (servents of well known houses and nobility) or upper-crust (family members) or nobility themselves (who really, imoho, should know very little about money at all)
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Depends on the Char. My current char used to be a lone scrab hunter. Which was worth about a piece of raw meat once a week.

One day a member of the militia gave him 50 sid to bury a body in the sand and told him he could keep whatever was on the corpse.  He ended up with about 75 sid and new, albeit now slightly bloodied, cloak and was happier then a pig in pig poop.

Later on he got a job with an affluent house and is making almost 7x that a month, has a kank, a weapons collection, and is thinking about renting a place.

He thinks he's bigger then bill gates.

But is he rich? Hell no.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

You people who hold onto your money suck.  SPEND SPEND SPEND.

I've died with 30k in the bank.  No fun.

A character is rich when he or she has enough money that they can't find anything to spend it on.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I thought my character was rich when he couldn't possibly carry any more coins, unbelievably heavy with them.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Deathtakeusall"I was just rounding how rich is rich
because i am a longneeck and can make up to 400 sid an ic day

Am i richer than 'tek

All the elves in the world, probably, could pool their resources and worth in raw obsidian together and still be unable to match Tektolnes' wealth.  Any race whose psyche is founded on theft as an art form, however, surely has a fair amount of its members who fall into the 'rich' category, it's just their riches are comparatively rich.  I recall an NPC in a Labyrinth elf tribe who openly wore a bronze necklace.  While a single metal trinket is nothing to Tektolnes, its surely something everyone, including a nobleman, would gladly long for and covet.  In the Labyrinth, this takes an even stronger message.  You don't wear such things unless you can get away with it.

I think from the perspective of the truly rich, the nobility, it isn't difficult for them to forget their oppulence though, since they are surrounded by abject poverty every time they step foot outside their estate.  There are very distinct differences amongst the classes, and the richer you go, the less of them there are.  I imagine the vast majority of life inside and out of a city-state is comprised of poverty.  The next step up are the few commoners who have figured a way to earn enough wealth (for their status in society) and get away it, without being harassed by the oppressive templars.  After that you've got the merchant monopolies, and though even their wealth, compared to nobility, is diminished, they're still oppulent enough to be envied by many.  Then the nobles, however small in percentage compared to the populace of Zalanthas, have got to be unquestionably rich by any comparison, on a level easily noticed by all.

If you found a way to make 100K, though, in the course of a week, maybe through some buy/sell tactic, cruising across the wastes to Cenyr and back, or something like that, I don't really think that's realistic -- not if you're doing it every reboot and amassing a near infinite fortune.  So if you said you're an elf who could make more obsidian than a noble's stipend is every single month (not that that's what you said), I'd have to question the realism behind how you're accomplishing that, because that's not rich, that's just OOC.

Why in the world would Tektolnes be concerned about such things as money?  He likely has no need for it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

400 'sid a day, if you're being serious, is a lot.

Piece of advice: Use it for all manner of amusement. Remember, buying stuff is just one use for 'sid. Money talks very loudly to people as well. So much better to spend the coin on memorable experiences than die with a phat account saying Merry Xmas to Nenyuk.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Rich is relative. If you have what you want and don't need, you're rich. That ussually changes as someone gets more money, but sometimes not.

If you WERE rich. It probably would take at least having the same things you used to have to consider yourself rich again.

What's rich in the eyes of the common people? I'd say everything from someone who can keep himself fed, clothed and has his own place to the highest ranking nobles.

I doubt the commoners think of their leaders by monetary means. At least not in 'nak or Tuluk. SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

A character is rich in Armaggedon the moment he isn't starving and has two coins left to rub together.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Why in the world would Tektolnes be concerned about such things as money? He likely has no need for it.

The man in the tower has a huge army to feed, clothe, and shelter. He's also got noble houses and projects of his own to fund, I would assume. He's got the biggest, baddest city on his side of the Known World to run, maintain, and care for.

Why would any other dictator need money, Cuusardo? Tek needs the same. And any of it he doesn't need, I'm sure he would acknowledge that he simply likes in excess.

You know. Money, power, respect and all that.

The richest PC characters in the game tend to spend huge amounts of their 'sid on everything from things for themselves to bribes, influence, bounties, houses, concubines, slaves...etc.  It isn't rare to see nearly empty bank accounts at times, despite massive amounts of wealth held in other tangible and non-tangible assets.

I think the Armageddon definition of rich could be 'having enough 'sid to simply do and acquire whatever you want'.

Well, Tektolnes is completely in control of the 'sid. It comes from Allanaki mines, it's produced in Allanak, and they control how much or how little enters the market through the merchant houses. I'd presume that by slowing down how much is given out, the worth of the coin would be raised. If much more was given out though I think it would take a lot longer for people to notice this.

It pays to control money.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!