Stones

Started by crymerci, October 29, 2002, 01:44:36 AM

No, it's not about Mick Jagger...it's about weight measures on Zalanthas.

Being the ignorant American that I am, I have no clue what a stone is. In creating characters, I've made guesses as to weight based on averages. As a result, I think some of my weights have been pretty far off.

Anyhow, I found this link:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight_b.htm
which shows body weight ranges in stones for various heights, for both 'normal' weights as well as over- and under-weight ranges. I thought others might find this useful.

First question: is a 'normal-weight' Zalanthan lighter than a 'normal-weight' Terran? Do they carry less water weight?

Next question: Do we assume most elves are generally in the normal- to under-weight range? Dwarves and muls in the over-weight range?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "Help File"Mass:
All masses are measured in stones. Stones are relatively equivalent to a kilogram in real life. Larger masses, in order to avoid using too many counting markers, have become called in five-stone, ten-stone, and hundred- stone. People are typically measured in ten-stone while objects are usually measured in stone.

Don't know if a RL stone is the same thing... As in roughly equal to a kilogram... But I go off all my measurements with a kilogram... Can't remember the conversion to pounds for us American folk... So I'm not going to mention anything like that... And sometimes I use the America Body Mass Index as a standard even though a buff character well end up being over weight or obese doesn't matter...

Creeper
21sters Unite!

It says somewhere, and I'm far to lazy tonight to go looking for the actual quote, that a stone is roughly equivilent to a kilogram.  And a kilogram is roughly equivilent to 2.2 pounds.

So if you weigh 6 ten stones that is 6*10*2.2= 132 pounds
7 ten stones is 7*10*2.2=154 pounds
8 ten stones is 8*10*2.2=176 pounds
9 ten stones is 9*10*2.2=198 pounds, and so on.

Those catagories seem pretty broad, but that means you can gain or lose 10 pounds without being bumped into the next group.  As any dieter can tell you, your weight naturally fluctuates within a certain range throughout the day and throughout the month.

That assumes that a stone really is about a kilogram.  If you follow the theory that all the giant insectoids aren't really giant insectiods (because they seem to be impossible) but rather that the humans are really tiny, then a stone might be 10 miligrams, or 1/16th of an ounce, or whatever measurement you like.   :)

Damn, I'm not as lazy as I was hoping to be, and was unable to prevent myself from tracking down the exact reference.  The file you are looking for is "help measurement" who woulda thought it?

QuoteMass:
All masses are measured in stones. Stones are relatively equivalent to a kilogram in real life. Larger masses, in order to avoid using too many counting markers, have become called in five-stone, ten-stone, and hundred- stone. People are typically measured in ten-stone while objects are usually measured in stone.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well... I was lazier but beat you to the point! With all your fancy calculations thinking you better then me!

Oh... Sorry... Well you quit going behind me and posting... But yeah... There's the quote to confirmation I'm not crazy... Even though I think I gave the same quote... Just not the helpfile it was from... Hmm... I'm really trying to think of something else to add...

Oh... There might be a chance that the ideals on Zalanthas are different... Maybe they aren't attracted to the same things as us humans are...

But then me personally don't see how guys can like only a certain category of looks... I mean come on... Females are just to perfect no matter which way you look at it...

Hmm... Okay... The whole thing of this post is still... HAHA AC I beat you to it... And quit posting behind me so I can see my name on the recent posts list all the way down... PLEASE!

Creeper

I'm not crazy... Your views are just askew.
21sters Unite!

Thanks AC, those calculations definitely helped, which also means that my character is not mistakenly overweight :D

Quote from: "creeper386"
Oh... There might be a chance that the ideals on Zalanthas are different... Maybe they aren't attracted to the same things as us humans are...

lets see if this quoting thing works...

This brings up another point. I would love to see a big fatass noble that everyone is attracted to (think hawaiian big kahuna or something). Why? well feeding yourself is expensive and if you can afford to be a huge fella, you've gotta have a lot of money to throw around. I know its up to the players to actually like the big guy, but im tired and im posting, and this is what i have to say

Ouch, that means I'm 6'3" and 6 ten-stone. :(  IRL that is.

I am mostly muscle and weigh 12 ten-stones and am 6 foot tall. Rarh!

Can Muls pick over 10 ten-stone?