Author Topic: Does DragonCon advertising bring in new players?  (Read 3267 times)

Angela Christine

Does DragonCon advertising bring in new players?
« on: December 22, 2003, 05:09:21 PM »
I haven't been keeping a close eye on this forum since I won't be going to DragonCon, but seeing the threads about fundraising and table decorations got me wondering how many (if any) players have been brought into the game by previous years efforts.  People aren't going there to learn about cool text games.  Fancy flyers and handouts are cool and all, but do they produce results?  If they don't, is it worth putting much time and effort into having a cool table, just so we can have pics of our cool table?   I don't know, maybe it is, some people enjoy that sort of thing.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 05:11:35 PM »
Why wouldn't it?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 05:50:07 PM »
Because, believe it or not, people attend DragonCon for a variety of reasons besides being subjected to advertisements from rp-enforced desert world MUDs.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 05:51:00 PM »
Yes. And?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Carnage

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 05:57:10 PM »
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
Yes. And?

Well, when hundreds (thousands?) of dollars are going to be raised, you tend to want to make sure it's for something important. Bringing five new players who quit in a week isn't exactly important and not a great way to spend that sort of money.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Angela Christine

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 06:09:31 PM »
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
Why wouldn't it?

I don't know, that's why I asked if it -has- brought any in so far.  What has been the result of the previous years attempts?

If people enjoy setting up this sort of thing then more power too 'em, I'm not looking to be a buzz kill.  I'm just pondering the potential cost-benefit ratio here.  If people put a great deal of time, effort and money into the project with the *expectation* that it will bring in hoards of new players and then it doesn't, well, folks could be dissappointed.  Dispondant.  Depressed.  But then I'm a bit of a pessimist.  :)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 06:10:06 PM »
Last year we got several new players who listed seeing the table at the APM or talking to players at the APM, but I don't know who, if anyone, stuck. I'd like to think that we could get a few hardcore roleplayers interested there, particularly if we do a nice job with the advertising flyers.

Bestatte

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 06:15:12 PM »
If it makes ya feel better, my sister's step-son can't wait til he's old enough to play Arm. I tell him about some of the fun RP I get into with my characters, and the plotlines and skills and sometimes I let him watch so he can see the mechanics behind combat and stuff.

He's way too young though, only 11 I think. But he's looking forward to when he's 16 and my sister and her husband let him explore the world of text games.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 06:34:51 PM »
Well, just because previous dragon-con efforts may or may not have brought on a substantial number of players doesn't mean it won't pay off this year or that previous efforts can't be built upon.

grog

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 07:54:36 PM »
Besides, it looks like their enjoying themselves so much planning it.  :D

j0ram

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 10:56:04 AM »
Will advertising work?

Of course it will. How do you think people find muds? Do they receive the ip and port in their dreams? No... they're told about it. Either from word of mouth, from mud listings, from message board... All forms of advertising.

We're not talking about spending thousands and thousands of dollars. We're talking about spending six or seven hundred dollars.

Will it be worth it?

I say yes. Of the eleven thousand people at the Con, let's say 5% run by the table. Let's say of that, 5% give it a try. That's the potential of 25 new players right there. They like it and tell their friends. So on so forth. So instead of an average of 60 players a night, we might end up at 80 players a night.

Can we judge what a good table will do from previous efforts?

No. The first year a decent amount of attention was given to the table. Though it was mainly all last minute, with little preparation and little organization. The table was staffed most of the time, but there were also big gaps during busy periods of the day that it was empty. The second year... well, the Arm table was taken over by some Canadian television show that was doing autograph signings.

I know that from the first year, a few new players were picked up. A table like planned for this coming Con will be ten times better.

Is it costing any one person hundreds of dollars?

No. It will be a combination of donations, raffles, sales, auctions... whatever else. We have a huge playerbase. I'm sure some will agree with Carnage that this is pointless. Others will not. If you get 1/4 of our playerbase to go into this for $10-$15 dollars, there will be more than enough. Is there something better that the money could be spent on? Sure, the cost of running the machine. But that is a decision best left to the staff. The money is going to help the game they run, so they're the ones who decide how to use it.

Carnage

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 03:00:12 PM »
Quote from: "j0ram"
I'm sure some will agree with Carnage that this is pointless.

I never said it was pointless. I've been of the opinion that I think there are more important things that hundreds of dollars could be spent on rather than flyers with a rainbow of pretty little colors and glossy pamphlets, free alcohol for you, or transportation for someone to an APM so they can get whipped and caned by transvestites for an even cheaper amount than others have to pay.

Show me some definite numbers/facts that people from DragonCon are coming, staying, and adding to this MUD and I'll support it 100%. I'll even donate money. I want to see that these people coming from DragonCon aren't l33t d00ds and will actually make the game better. It'd be nice if that information wasn't anecdotal either.

Of course it will. How do you think people find muds? Do they receive the ip and port in their dreams? No... they're told about it. Either from word of mouth, from mud listings, from message board... All forms of advertising.

And all of those options don't cost any money.

All those sorts of things, none of which are cheap. Color handouts alone would probably cost over $500, if not more.

Over five hundred dollars is going to be spent on little pieces of paper with pretty colors on them that you can give out to people. Out of the six or seven hundred you speak of that will be spent, more than half of that is going to be on little flyers that are most likely going to be tossed into the garbage. Are there even any plans to save the leftover ones or are you just going to toss those, along with our money, into a dumpster somewhere?

Let me make it simple: I think advertising is worthwhile. MUDConnector is perfect. Word of mouth is great. Those babysitter flyers that you print out and put up into a comic shop are, in my opinion, the best advertising solution. I've put a few of these up before at comic shops around here. Total cost of those is like a single penny. They're simple but effective. But when you want to take a large amount of money and spend most of it on color flyers that are going to people who may or may not be interested and that are mostly going to end up in the trash, I start to question whether this is worth it or not. Not to mention the possibility that has been brought up that this money could be going towards other more dubious purchases.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

House Rising Sun

Whoa
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 06:53:53 PM »
Hundreds? People, you're clearly not as used to working on a budget as the typical MUDer. I didn't think we'd spend more than two hundred. Six or seven? Come on.

If we raise it, let's spend the money only on what we need for the table, and give the rest to the "general armageddon pot" to spend on other.. things. Just because we have three hundred dollars more, after all is spent, doesn't mean we should hire booth babes for the day.

Besides, I'm sure we can think of some great things that wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg and a c-note.
Dig?

DrunkenSalarr

• Soot Happens
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2003, 10:51:16 PM »
Quote from: "Carnage"
Show me some definite numbers/facts that people from DragonCon are coming, staying, and adding to this MUD and I'll support it 100%.

Well, here are some semi-definite numbers/facts.

2 years ago (2002), had a table Con.  It was thrown together at the last min. Our table consisted of some flyers printed on coloured paper, and "Armageddon MUD" cut out of construction paper laying on the table.

On the plus side, was manned fairly constantly.

From that table we gained roughly 30 new players.  Out of those I am sure at least 4 are still with us, I know, personally, 2 of which that have added to the RP of the game.

I hope thoses are good enough stats.  I don't have stats from this past year.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Razaldi

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 03:35:05 AM »
Its Interesting to watch the development of armageddon. I use to play a few years back and just started playing again. I guess my account was removed or something. Anyway, it is ridiculous that any of you who are negative to the fact of spending some money on the game, being worth it. True it could be used to buy a server to handle more players on at a time, but honestly, what is the point if you don't have any knew player's, because someone decided to cut the funding. Check this out, I remember there was a time, in the not to distant past, that  you would be lucky to see 25 players online at once. Personally, I am encouraged by the fact that when I log on, I see at least 30 to 40 players on, and its not even a weekend. Late nights, I remember -who's on- would go down to about 10, maybe even 5 players. Now I see 24 players on at 12 o'clock at night. I applaud the advancement  :D . I've noticed about a million changes to the game since I played last.

_ :!: hey welcome me back I like arm too  :!: _
color=green]- fear the man, not the name- OR -maybe fear both-

[/color]     RAZALDI :mrgreen: