Author Topic: Table Decorations, Staffing, Etc...  (Read 6230 times)

SykotikGith

Table Decorations, Staffing, Etc...
« on: December 21, 2003, 07:35:35 AM »
I figured this needed it's own topic. Basically what I'd like to cover in here is organization, brainstorming, etc. If people have an idea, or something they'd like to see done at the Con, put it here. I figure the more planning we do now, the better off we will be when it comes time for the Con. I'm not going to suggest that we can pull this off without a hitch, but the more bumps we get smoothed out now, the better.

I'd definitely be willing to man the table in costume...As long as no one minds me being dressed like a noble. I don't have any appropriate commoner clothing.

As for what we should have at the table, well I remember year before last (first APM), ShaL, Salarr, me, and a few others wrote down some ideas. I've got the folder at home that we jotted the notes down in, and I'll try to post the full list later. What I can remember though:

- Business cards, someone else mentioned them, and I think it's a great idea.

- Banners and stuff for the table, we NEED to be able to attract attention.

- Flyers, for other people to take and post up when they go home. We
had some like that at the first APM, they had little tearaway pieces with
the Arm connection info. They were pretty popular, if I remember.

- I really like the idea of selling some things with the Arm logo. Even if
  people only buy them because they like the picture, we could give them
  a business card/pamphlet with the purchase so that if people ask about
  the item they bought, they can talk about Arm.

- I'm all for having at the very least, one computer to show people what
  Arm is like. Just to be assured of some "action," I liked the idea of
  posting here on the board asking that people connect so that there will be
  something going on, not just idling in a tavern. Maybe we could even
  coordinate with some IMMs and get a mini-RPT going? Just a thought. We
  would also have to disclaim and say that Arm is -not- always this busy.

- I would also suggest creating a schedule for people to man the tables.
  That way the same people aren't sitting there for hours and hours all 4
  days of the Con. People who agree to man the tables -MUST- follow
  through with it. We all also need to remember that we are representing
  our favorite game, and that to attract the right kind of people, we don't
  want to be overheard talking bad about Arm. Keep the complaining and
  the bitching to the party rooms, and the player-staff meetings. That was
  a definite detractor at the first Con.

Another thing, I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I think we need to nominate people to be in charge of various and sundry things. For example, one person should be in charge of getting the list of people interested in the group rates and the hotel block. One person should coordinate the table crew, scheduling, etc. I know the last 2 APMs have been somewhat frustrating in not being able to find fellow Armers, people staying all over both hotels, and people not sitting at the table that we reserverd. Maybe forming committees and getting some organization would be a good idea.

Allright, that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to jump in with other ideas, please? If all of this sounds dumb, then tell me...But I want to get -something- going. I'll get the full list (unless I managed to hit everything) posted when I get home. This Con is a great recruiting opportunity for us, and the last two years, to put it bluntly, we have sucked at it. I would really like to see us show people what Armageddon really is.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz
"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 11:56:07 AM »
I'll be in charge of everything, as a secondary. You'll find my input valuable, I believe, but I don't wish to run any one thing this time. Maybe next?

My first suggestion is to construct an cardboard arch that will fit from one side of the table to the next, and which will sport the Arm logo at the crest. The logo is cool enough itself to draw attention. Styrofoam, painted to resemble rocks, could also be used for the arch, adversely. Brown, tan, and dark grey paint can be used to affect excellent stones. Typical Elmer's glue can be used to secure them together, or, if construction quality is something important, wire can be used. You'll wish to get wire such as the type used in the training of plants.

I'd suggest a tannish tablecloth, as well. I do NOT suggest that everyone get dressed up. One person could serve as the 'mascot', and that would be fine. As well, the TVs or comp screens displaying the CON CHAR, as I will refer to this PC from hense, would also draw folks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 12:18:12 PM »
I'll be glad to take a table stint; I do not plan to be in costume for it.

Would a big banner be easier to work with than a large arch? It seems as though it would be easier to arrange and transport, at least.

For the table - flyers and folders.  Two years ago I printed out some of the better reviews as handouts.  Necho suggested business cards that are printed on magnetic backing so they can be used as refrigerator/filing cabinet magnets.  Or maybe the emote code could get printed onto those, like the sticker MasterZ has on his Baobab site?

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 12:51:56 PM »
A banner would be easier, but not more impressive. Regardless, the Armageddon Logo must be large, and it must be above the table, not afixxed to the front.

Also, just an idea, but perhaps an Soldier would be the best idea for the mascot? An Allanaki soldier would be easiest to duplicate.

ShaLeah

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 01:07:56 PM »
I really like the entire cardboard thing but I'd also like a sancloth tent. Much cheaper, easier to set up and a lot easier to take down. Reusable in subsequent years too, very Arm-esque and I wanna 'enter tent' damnit!

:)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

SykotikGith

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 06:36:34 AM »
Okay, I agree with everyone here. 7DV is right, the logo needs to be large and noticeable. However...It also needs to be extremely portable. For those of you who haven't been to Dragon Con, the areas where the tables are don't have much room. We need to have something that can stand up behind us, yet still gives us room to sit behind the table. I was thinking of something like what Sanvean suggested. A large banner would be perfect, especially if we could get it up on poles, or a PVC pipe frame...I'm no engineer so I'm not sure what to suggest here, but it needs to be light and easy to carry, yet strong enough to hold a banner. A tannish coloured tablecloth would also be wonderful, and in keeping with the desert-theme.

And I love ya ShaL, but I don't -think- we have room for a tent...while it would be cool and stuff.  :lol:
"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 10:30:28 AM »
How big can the table be, and even more importantly, how big will it be? As for the banner, one can buy shaft-holders at any hardware store of repute, and these can be glued or nailed onto the table itself, provided we bring our own table. The PVC pipe, which the Gith suggested, can be placed in the holders, and can be made to part in three peices with ease. The banner can hang from the crossbeam.

SykotikGith

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 12:46:32 PM »
The table is provided by the hotel. I want to say it's roughly 8ft long and about 3ft wide? Someone correct those numbers if necessary. And no...we cannot nail things to them. There will also be tables on either side of us (I think) and there'll probably be one to two feet between them.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 01:45:42 PM »
It's a folding table, yes? Or is it more substantial? I'd not even ask and would create the stands and pipes needed myself if I could, but I'm either coming by plane or crymerci, which means no room, and so that does not allow me to do the designing myself. So someone else will have to, after we establish what is needed.

Lazloth

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 05:20:09 PM »
*shudder* cardboard?  None of y'all have worked a tradeshow, eh?

You want to find a player with access to visual marketting tools (a la here).  The displays are fairly inexpensive, rentable, portable, flexible.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

j0ram

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 05:26:55 PM »
It's a standard 3'x8' banquet table. You've got (depending on its location) 1'-4' of space behind the table, no space to either side, and you can't extend beyond your table.

Any decorations need to be easily portable and easy to set up. Like a cloth or plastic banner. Cardboard and paper are no good, they’re too easy to ruin. Things get knocked down, bumped into, pulled side to side. Think sturdy. Also, there is -no- guarantee that anything constructed will survive once the place goes from Con mode to Party mode. So plan on setting up whatever there is each morning, and taking it down that night. You really don't want to leave anything behind.

I would suggest a cloth banner that can be hung over the table. Perhaps two simple PVC poles to hang it from (that can be chained to the table, so they'll stay there the weekend). As long as the banner is done right, it can be eye-catching, and simple enough that it can be set up and taken down in a minute.

The tent idea, while it would look nice, would require the construction of sturdy (likely PVC) frame. Which would mean that someone would have to log all of the material to the Con, spend time setting it up, and hoping that it survived the weekend. Plus you’re looking at a much larger piece of cloth to form the tent itself.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 05:46:35 PM »
Quote from: "j0ram"
I would suggest a cloth banner that can be hung over the table. Perhaps two simple PVC poles to hang it from (that can be chained to the table, so they'll stay there the weekend). As long as the banner is done right, it can be eye-catching, and simple enough that it can be set up and taken down in a minute.

There you go. Who's gonna bring the PVC?

Now, for the banner. What are we tryna see? Obviously, the Arm logo in the middle, large. Remember, we have probably a 2x8 portion of cloth or plastic to use here. I also suggest that it be proffesionally produced. A homemade attempt would look shoddy when compared to the surrounding stands/booths.

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 06:15:01 PM »
We should figure out costs and how much budget we're working with before getting too grandiose. If anyone has connections to a printing shop and wants to find out how much 3-color flyers would run us per hundred, that would be swell.

People who regularly go there - how many flyers is a reasonable number?

Angela Christine

Everybody loves candy!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 06:24:49 PM »
Quote from: "SykotikGith"
I figured this needed it's own topic. Basically what I'd like to cover in here is organization, brainstorming,

Everybody loves candy.  I've never been to DragonCon, but at similar events the people giving away candy seem to be popular.  

So if someone is feeling really, REALLY ambitious, here is a recipe for cactus candy.   http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/candy/cactus1.html

Title: Cactus Candy
Categories: Candies
Yield: 6 servings

3 c  Granulated sugar
1 c  Water
2 tb Orange juice
1 tb Lemon juice

Select prickly pear cactus (or small barrel cactus if you own this
type of cactus, since it's illegal to remove it from the desert).
Remove spines and outside layer with large knife. Cut pulp across in
slices one-inch thick. Soak overnight in cold water. Remove from
water, cut in one0inch cubes and cook in boiling water til tender.
Drain. Cook slowly in the following syrup until nearly all the syrup
is absorbed. Do not scorch!

SYRUP for 2 QUARTS of CACTUS CUBES

Heat all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Then add cactus.
Remover cactus from syrup, drain and roll in granulated or powdered
 sugar. For colored cactus candy, any vegetable food coloring may be
added to the syrup.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

j0ram

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2003, 11:07:40 AM »
Quote from: "Sanvean"
We should figure out costs and how much budget we're working with before getting too grandiose. If anyone has connections to a printing shop and wants to find out how much 3-color flyers would run us per hundred, that would be swell.

Someone... either here or on IRC, mentioned that they had contacts with a print shop, and could get some good rates. Whoever that was, speak up!

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
Who's gonna bring the PVC?

I'm sure one of us locals can handle it. 4- 5' pieces and a couple stands. Around $15. Drill a hole in each stand for a chain to secure them to the table. Should be easy enough.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 11:15:17 AM »
Sounds great. Ok, now, what about the banner?

It needs to be created, and a design needs to be agreed upon and implemented. Shall we start a seperate thread for this? I'd say that you design it at the scale of two inchs per foot. That means that it will be about 4x16, since the banner will be 2 by 8. Once a design is decided upon, someone will get it printed up. I don't have a hookup on the creation of the banner, but I will pay for it outta pocket if I must. So, the first person with a design post in a new thread titled "The Banner".

Good job, folks.

ShaLeah

Five months and counting...
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2004, 08:42:05 AM »
Can I get a list of people who really want to work on the table?  I'm willing to donate my time, money and limited imagination but I have I'd like to actually have a plan rather than throw the thing together the month before.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 03:02:10 AM »
I'm working on getting together funds for the flyers, and will post some details tomorrow. I'm glad to help staff the table, but if someone else would take care of organizing the decorating part, that would be a big relief to me.

ShaLeah

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 10:14:48 AM »
I'm willing to cover the costs for printing out some things so here is where you tell me what you want me to print.

I thought about getting business cards with the Arm log on them. Printing out the best, most compelling reviews we have, the player logs and that page we passed out and posted a couple of years ago with the www.armageddon.org tear offs at the bottom, does anyone have a link to that?

Can I get a list of the wanted things so I can start haggling?

Also (edit), we have a table we have to staff but I figure being free enough to just sit around the table if you want is good enough.

My main concern at the moment is decorating the thing and we've had a lot of good ideas but we've fizzled out in the discussion so I'd like it renewed if possible.

I am still very attached at the idea of surrounding the table with a make-shift sandcloth tent even though j0ram is being mean and saying it's not feasable.  Will a banner with the logo hung from the ceiling be good?

sarahjc

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 10:30:55 AM »
Shal If you need any help with this stuff let me know.
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Barzalene

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004, 01:16:05 PM »
I'd happily work the table, but I won't dress up like a halfling.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

crymerci

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2004, 02:07:01 PM »
I'll decorate the table with my presence, and dress Barzalene as a halfling. :P
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

ShaLeah

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 08:27:01 PM »
Salarr has generously donated twelve sets of that sexy leather armor they make, you know, the skin tight black kind with the halter? There will be one in every size just for the females of the APM. Borsail graciously gave us some whips too. Get ready ladies, you're about to strut your stuff!   :twisted:

ShaLeah
-who is in charge of costumes for all the shy people...

PS
Brown hooded abas available with an excuse from your doctor saying you can't wear the hoochie Salarr armor for health reasons.

sarahjc

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2004, 07:21:22 PM »
HUh... Hoochy wear???? I can't just wear jeans and a T-shirt?   :oops:
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Angela Christine

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2004, 09:43:43 PM »
It could be worse, at least it isn't the kuraci thong.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

tortall

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2004, 11:42:34 AM »
Now don't go giving her ideas!

-I- personally like Shallys idea.

-Tortall
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

mansa

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2004, 01:44:33 PM »
...the hookers and blow are going to be at the table, right?  I'm there.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

crymerci

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2004, 02:08:42 PM »
Quote from: "mansa"
...the hookers and blow are going to be at the table, right?  I'm there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sanvean's bringing them.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

crymerci

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2004, 04:39:16 PM »
But seriously...are we still waiting on the new logo before deciding on a banner/flyer/handouts?

ShaLeah

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2004, 12:59:21 PM »
Quote from: "crymerci"
But seriously...are we still waiting on the new logo before deciding on a banner/flyer/handouts?

I haven't heard anything about the new logo.

I was looking into getting the logo made into jewelry but the people I had asked can't take it on so I'm down to another Arm player messing about with it and letting me know cost and such.  No pressure Dig.  ;)

I'm also still looking for the site with the flier we passed out a couple of years back, the one with the web page addressed at the bottom that can be torn off.  If anyone knows where I can get that, please send me a link or better yet post it, maybe we can some of the players to commit to printing a few out and posting them around their city when they go out.

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2004, 06:39:56 PM »
I'll email the logo guy again. It needs a couple more tweaks, then should be good to go. I can't mail him till ginka is back up, however. Once we have the logo, I am to see about doing some Armageddon temporary tattoos as a fundraiser.

Saikun priced out 4-color fliers, and the cost was $600-700, which seemed undoable to me. I know people didn't like the fliers from two years ago, but they did have the advantage of being affordable.

One thing I'd thought about was doing a raffle at this APM to raise money for nice fliers next time.  

Crymerci put together a list of amazon.com books, which Nidhogg is working on putting up. I don't know how much that will raise, but don't anticipate that it would be more than 50-100, since we raise about that much per year from the Amazon.com shop.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2004, 08:39:23 PM »
Get one of those "Donate with paypal!" links on the main site.
I'd probably click on it. And, like, give some money.

crymerci

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2004, 08:58:24 PM »
This doesn't go toward the APM (in fact, I don't think it can be used for anything advertising-related) but there is a place where you can donate toward machine costs, etc.

http://www.zalanthas.org/ArmDocs/Community/donation.html

j0ram

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2004, 01:18:18 AM »
It'll likely be late June before I can, but count me in for an eventual $50-100 towards "the fund".