Author Topic: I Swear To Drunk I'm Not Tek!  (Read 3312 times)

I Swear To Drunk I'm Not Tek!
« on: October 25, 2002, 09:37:32 PM »
Hi. IRL I'm only fifteen, and have never had more then a sip of wine. Just my luck I end up playing a drunken mercenary, huh? So, I was wondering, what should I do to RP being drunk? Or should I simply avoid it?

I'd like to know:

1. How severe is the slurring of speech, and just how much alcohol do you need to consume for it to occur? Furhtermore, what would it look like typed? Turn all the 'S's to 'Sh's?
2. How is your thought affected? Do you become depressed, violent, or sexual? All three? Depends on the person?
3. What IC drinks are considered strong? For example: Sky Draugt is some strong stuff, but Templar's Wrath is commonly reffered to as 'kankpiss'.
4. Should inexpierenced people not RP in events they don't know much about? So should some one who has never drank before avoid drunken situations? Some one who has never had or met a person with a mental illness should refrain from playing a character who is crazy? Should some one who has never been high avoid spice?

Thanks. Hopefully this should help me out the next time my character decides to 'over-indulge'. And to answer any questions, no, I'm not entirely sheltered, and I've been around people who are 'a bit tipsy' to downright wasted. I'm trust trying to find some commonalities, and get a better idea of how to RP it, including speech, emotes, and my character's thoughts. Oh, yeah... And don't worry, I won't spent a night with a bottle in our to become a better RPer... The game isn't -that- important to me.  :wink:
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

John

Re: I Swear To Drunk I'm Not Tek!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 09:44:13 PM »
Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"
And don't worry, I won't spent a night with a bottle in our to become a better RPer... The game isn't -that- important to me.  :wink:

Now why not!? Some people arm their brothers with bats in an attempt to become better RPers. :-P

To answer question 1, the code handles this.  It even handles you becoming immune to certain drinks and it will take longer for you to get drunk.

To answer question 2. it's different for everyone. Some people will become depressed, some will become violent, some will become sexual, others will become withdrawn, others will become the life of the party. So really, there is only one thing you need to worry about. How do you want YOUR character to become when they're drunk? People tend to be the same every time they get drunk, however this doesn't mean they can't change while drunk.

What I mean is, when they're tispy, they might be really happy. When they get more drunk they become more quiet, then when they're completely wasted they become depressed.

But that will happen EVERY time they get that drunk. So really it's up to you.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 09:46:38 PM »
Now, do they really become the life of the party? Or do they just think they do? Another possibility ;->

mansa

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 11:28:19 PM »
1. How severe is the slurring of speech, and just how much alcohol do you need to consume for it to occur? Furhtermore, what would it look like typed? Turn all the 'S's to 'Sh's?

and

Quote from: "John"
To answer question 1, the code handles this. It even handles you becoming immune to certain drinks and it will take longer for you to get drunk.

John, you're wrong about the slurring.

It *used* to slur it.  Use to.  They took that out.  It doesn't automagickally slur you.   So make your own slurring!  Or don't!  When I'm drunk, I just talk a bit slower than when I'm not.  Ask anybody that went to APM 2002.  I'm the same sober as drunk!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

John

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 11:35:42 PM »
Quote from: "mansa"
It *used* to slur it.
Oh that's good....sort of.

The garbled talking was frustrating so it's good we can now make our own more realistic garbling.....shows you how long it's been since I was drunk in Armageddon.

Rindan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 03:05:17 AM »
How people act when drunk varies greatly.  I friend of mine becomes the biggest ass ever to exist.  Another friend of mine becomes a complete idiot and slurs his speech to the point where it is impossible to make out.  A female friend of mine tries to screw anything that might or might not be male.  I on the other hand act like someone slipped me some E and tell everyone how great they are, and generally confess my love to anything that might be a woman, yet have the sex drive of a sloth when drunk.  In other words, whatever you make up, it probably happens.  

As for RPing something you have little experience in, don't worry about it.  I have not been a member of the militia in many states run by a god-king, and have never really done any riding (much less riding on a bug).  I don't let it stop me from trying out that role.  Just do your best, and observe others.  I might not have a clue how to hold a sword even though my character does.  I just wing it.  If someone comes along and through their RP suggest a better way for me to RP sword usage, then I just adapt.

Lirs

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2002, 04:49:55 AM »
John - I disagree with you that people always act in a certain way depending on what stage they are at in the drunken 'level'.

From my own experience I know that how I act when drunk can depend a lot on the mood I was in -before- I started drinking.  Moods can vary greatly, from just falling into a drunken stupor to becoming the energiser bunny, from wistful reminiscence to downright bitchiness.  Maybe some people always have the same mood patterns when drunk, but I don't agree that such a thing is a given.

- Lirael -
Passion.... makes us brutal and sanguinary" -- Broome.

John

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2002, 07:13:22 AM »
Lirs: good point. I generally don't hang around THAT many drunk people and when I do it's generally only at parties so as a general rule they all act the same (that's been in my experience anyway).

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 10:20:58 AM »
Yeah, that was a pretty good point Lirs. But I think when people get to the level of you know... fall down drunk, it's kinda hard to have any set kind of mood. From what I've seen, the moods of extremely drunk people just shift constantly, from sad, to happy, to energetic, back to sad, to mellow, to sad.

Of course I emphasize sad because I'm anti-drinking IRL. But you get the point ;-> And I think that'd be a valid way to play a drunk too.

And Lirs. I think it's awesome that you're from New Zealand. Just thought I'd let you know.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Me
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 12:15:52 PM »
Personally, when I get drunk...

Coordination goes. I once tried playing my guitar while out of it. I'd miss it by an inch or two. I also tried typing. Oh man, I sent out some pretty hysterical e-mails that time.

For me, it was like being five years-old. I'd get bored of one thing really fast, and I couldn't stay on one topic. I'd keep rambling on and on, and expect other people to know exactly what I was thinking.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Impska

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2002, 02:07:28 PM »
Also, bear in mind that the -way- people drink differs.

Some people have a couple of drinks, get a little giggly, and that's enough.

Other people will drink and drink and drink, and with every consecutive drink, act like more and more of an obnoxious ass, until finally they pass out, face down on the floor.

And, I guess to give you more examples of how people act when drunk: Some people get really loud, people generally think they're a lot smoother/more intelligent/charming/etc than they actually are. It's pretty funny being around someone who -thinks- they're really intelligent when they're drunk... because they rarely are.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2002, 03:27:49 PM »
Personally, most of the time when I get drunk, I get really hyper. I talk a lot, I'll sing to songs on the radio whether I know them or not, I'll go into long convoluted stories that no one understands (oh wait, I do that when I'm sober :P) and wonder why they look at me like I have 3 heads. :P I think a mild state of drunkenness actually makes me able to concentrate BETTER, because I used to get insanely high scores on video games I played while drunk, vs. when I was sober. I also consider myself more psychic when drunk, although a sober person might not think so.

Usually I don't drink unless I know there's gonna be some guy around I can screw without feeling like an idiot. (This has severely cut down on my drunkenness lately. :P) Because sometimes when I get pretty drunk I go on & on about depressing past experiences, not exactly sobbing in my beer, but close. When I'm at that level of drunkenness, ANYTHING that happens that isn't just totally happy happy joy joy will make me get all blubbery and I make a total idiot of myself. So all the way around it's much better when I'm drunk around a guy I can screw, because (a) I'm horny anyway and (b) it keeps me happy enough not to get to the blubbery idiot stage. :P

As for slurring, *I* don't think I slur all that much even when really drunk. I might develop a sort of drawl, but I don't notice any slurring (although by the time I get that far gone I might not notice a train running over me :P). I do however develop problems walking relatively early on in the tipsiness stage. My legs feel like a combination of lead and rubber, and while I don't exactly stumble around falling over and shit, I imagine myself as looking kinda like a guy trying to walk in a spacesuit. I've been known to just sit on the toilet for several minutes staring at the wall and singing a song if one happens to be playing when I get to this stage.

I'm kind of an odd drunk though. Even if I get drunk enough to pass out (which has only happened once, due to 7 large extra-strong screwdrivers which caused me to puke on my date), I always remember everything I did afterwards, and I never actually get a hangover. What happens is I start getting a headache WHILE I'M STILL DRUNK which is annoying as hell because then my body wants to sleep it off and my mind wants to sit around continuing to do drunken weird stuff. It's annoying as fuck. I can't even mud while drunk.

As for RPing out spice when never having been high, I'd be more worried about how to know what effects each type of spice is supposed to have. I've been high a lot and been around a lot of stoned ppl, but it'd just kinda be weird to RP out the effects of acid when you were using a type of spice that was supposed to have weedlike effects. (Not that I've ever been on acid, but I think the time they gave my epilectic ex valium after a bad seizure would come close. But that's another story... :P)

Ok, I know this is a damn long post but I hope it helped.

Sephiroto

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2002, 04:57:04 PM »
From my own experience I know that how I act when drunk can depend a lot on the mood I was in -before- I started drinking.

This is because alcohol is a depressant.  This means not that it depresses you, but it enhences the the way you felt before you were drunk.  This alos enhences the attitude you may have.  For example, a friend of mine was a happy drunk one minute, but after some words were said to him, he called up a guy at 3am telling him he was going to kick his ass.  He even nocked the hell out of me because someone told him that I was the guy.

Just my 2 sid

Ezikel

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2002, 06:06:22 PM »
I usually just lose all my inhibitions and fears, this usually ends up im me breaking things because of the comic value, complete openess to anything of the opposit sex, and find alot of things extreamly funny.

Last time i got plastered i spent about 5-10 mins sitting on the top deck of a bus (Uk, double deckers) thinking how cool it would be if i jumped over the rail and down all the stairs.  I cant remember why i didnt, but it was proberbly because i couldnt be bothered, but the point is a good proportion of common sence went out the window.

I also chucked a bottle really high in the air just to watch it smash, put proberbly missing it because i couldnt focus enough to really see it land, i also ended up knocking traffic cones over for some reason hmm.

Anyway, thats a general idea of what happens to me, but as many have said its different for everyone, some just get K.O'ed when they get drunk.  Ive had a friend at aged 15-16 could drink the best part of a 2litre bottle of vodka in less than 2 hours and still be only 'tipsy' ive also known people who can be drunk on half a pint on shandy, so really its a personnal preferance to what you want yer char to come accross as.
RIAN:  I'm not the Messiah!
ARTHUR:  I say You are, Lord, and I should know.  I've followed a few.

Falsetto

Re: I Swear To Drunk I'm Not Tek!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2002, 08:21:47 PM »
no, I'm not entirely sheltered

This amused me.. I just had to toss this in for a moment with nothing to do with the questions.

I'm 24, a rather cute little thing. And... I've never really been to a bar, stay away from people who drink enough to get remotely drunk, etc. And the best I can do is choke down (literally gagging) on Baileys and coffee. So, I'll hear none of these assumptions of sheltered. You want sheltered? I'm sheltered.

Of course, it doesn't stop me from RPing things I obviously would know nothing about.  :D

Quirk

Classic drunkeness
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2002, 09:03:37 AM »
The classic description of the stages of drunkeness is:

Jocose, Morose, Bellicose, Comatose.

It depends very much on each person how much it takes them to get drunk, and some probably
don't go through all of the listed stages, but it's still a good rough guide to effects.

The Jocose stage - first few drinks loosen inhibitions, some girls get giggly, reserve thaws.
I'd probably put the well-known effect on sex drive in this stage; there's a fun Shakespeare
quote I can't be bothered digging for right now that speaks of how drink inflames desire while
hurting performance; potential to be embarrassing.

The Morose stage - alcohol's depressant qualities kick in. Confused rambling about meaning of
life, tendency for those with unhappy thoughts on their mind to speak them at incoherent
length. In countries with high alcohol consumption levels per head, this stage tends to be part
of an important male bonding ritual thing in which friends blurt out their troubles to each other
much more openly than they ever would sober.

The Bellicose stage - not everyone's an aggressive drunk, but some are, and it's not even always
those who're short-tempered sober who're the worst when drunk. Your character might be a
sweet guy sober but a very devil when drunk; a Jekyll and Hyde personality. While it's unlikely
that someone would be randomly aggressive after a mere couple of drinks (generally it takes
rather a lot of alcohol to produce that effect), there's the effect known by the rather racist
term "Dutch courage", where a little alcohol allows someone to psych themselves up to face
their fears, and well, if they fear to fight someone they dislike sober, they may well square up to
them after a couple of beers. This ties in with the "jocose" loss of inhibitions; more frequently
"Dutch courage" is employed to screw up the guts to talk with that girl you really really fancy
and ask her for a kiss.

The Comatose stage - Pretty well anyone will pass out given enough alcohol, but some people
are "sleepy" drunks and get more and more subdued the more they drink. A "sleepy drunk" is
likely to factor high on the morose/comatose stages, probably won't remain in the jocose stage
for many drinks, and won't touch the bellicose stage. Good fit for stoic or internally depressed
characters, although a stoic character bottling up anger might well turn aggressive when drunk.

Don't take any of this as gospel or medical research, this is mostly folklore/anectodal/personal
experience, but if it helps you grasp how to play a drunk, I'll be happy.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Chum

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2002, 03:33:03 AM »
A tangential tip on drinking--

Dont open a bottle of wine and log in.

Approve me!