The size of Tuluk

Started by Angela Christine, October 24, 2002, 05:57:22 PM

In some other thread Lukie went off-topic to say:
QuoteMaybe we should be concentrating on bigger problems, like a complete lack of sense of distance in Tuluk. I was watching a friend play and it took him -eternity- to get from one end of Tuluk to the other. Right now, it's about 4 times bigger than Allanak. I don't think that's right. Also, there seems to be a lacking in shops and things like that in Tuluk, but I can see that that's because it's still being built. (IC and OOC)

Actually, Tuluk is bigger than Allanak and always was.  From outside, Allanak is 15 (3*5) outdoor spaces.  Old Tuluk, the ruins, is 25 (5*5) outdoor spaces, nearly twice as large.  The part of the area inside the scaen that was recently converted from wilderness spaces to city space (basically the western half of the scaen not counting the ruins of old Tuluk) is 88  (7*3 + 5*5 +5*8 +2) wilderness spaces.

Allanak                                 15
    Ruins of Old Tuluk                  25
    New Tuluk                             88
    New Tuluk including the ruins 113

So Tuluk (not including the ruins) is in fact about 6 times the size of Allanak, asssumine all wilderness squares are the same size (the aren't, but what the hell).  

However, I doubt that new Tuluk has anything near the population of Allanak, it is just more spread out.  Why?  My guess is that no one in their right mind wants to live outside the walls, right?  So construction is constrained by the area within the walls.  Allanak's walls are made of stone and are 50 cords high, Tuluk's walls are made of wood and are . . . I'm not sure, something like 10 or 20 cords high I think.  Anyway, it was easier for Tuluk to wall in a huge area like the scaen because their wooden walls are easier to build.  For stone walls to be 50 cords high they would have to be pretty damn thick at the base, which would mean a huge effort to build, so when Allanak was first constructed the Highlord built a smaller, denser city and didn't try to wall in the entire area under his control, ie. the farmland.  Allanak has tried to expand, according to it's history the Labyrinth was not part of the original city, but was an expansion that went horribly wrong.  Given the effort required to expand the area inside the walls, the Highlord and his minnions have apparently decided it is just easier to have the commoners sleep 10 to a bed.   :P

Or maybe I've had too much NyQuil.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think maybe it's a warning from the gods.  :shock:

Actually, that makes more sense. In Age of Empires II, wooden walls are easier to build but they aren't as strong. They don't take stone, either. So, you can wall in a big area, like farms, with them. I still don't think New Tuluk is that much bigger than Allanak, though. I mean, Allanak is like New York City of Zalanthas. New Tuluk is... Detroit or something. I'm getting nowhere with this.

After reading the rest of your post, I have more to say.

Expanding outside of big walls is -very- hard. The big walls really cut off trade between parts of the city, and nobody wants to live outside of them. Hey, if your town had big 50-chord walls, would you want to live in the part with the stupid 10-chord wooden ones?
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Quote from: "lukie"I mean, Allanak is like New York City of Zalanthas. New Tuluk is... Detroit or something. I'm getting nowhere with this.

Actually, I think you're onto something here. New York (Manhattan) is an island, so the expansion possibilities are pretty limited...you can pretty much only build upwards. When you get out to Jersey or whatever, though, you have more space so you get semi-urban and suburban sprawl...lots of land covered by fewer people.

So to recap... Allanak=dense urban big city, Tuluk=sprawling semi-rural suburbia.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

No point in wasting your time in debate of this topic. Allanak will wipe the northlands and all its people out of existance sooner or later.

Then we'll party like its 1999. Or something.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

What makes you think Nak could do it now? I mean... hell, they couldn't even manage it the first time, or even hold it under its control at that. Wusses.

Quote from: "Tony"Wusses.

I agree completely.  8)
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I've done my calculations and have come to the conclusion that the tablelands will rise up. Unawares to all of you, we are currently amassing great hordes of enslaved and brainwashed Gith which we will release upon the city states. Along with this we are building giant catapults atop the shield wall with which we will obliterate Luirs Outpost with. With the Gith enslaved and on our sides, the second largest race upon Zalanthas will filter from the sands to lay seige to the cities. We are simply too powerful and too many to be beat down any longer. Our cunning and wit will utterly stun you into submission, plus you'll give us your pants for no reason.

Tuluk and Allanak are too busy worrying about each other they will not notice the terror from the east...   8)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

West Dan.  Tablelands would be west
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Damnit Dan, you arnt supposed to tell anyone...now you must die!
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Oh oh OH!  now I get it!  A suprise attack from the table lands coming from the east!  Those silly elfies figured out that the world is round!  Now thats something to worry about; a bunch of astronomer elves passing out astrology pamplets.

Scratching his head, turning a colorful piece of vellum over and over, the half-giant says in sirihish:
    "Wuts dat mean ah'm a scorpio?  Ah'ms a Tor now?
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Hey, maybe we'll get to see Utep and Tek duke it out in the Arena. Winner takes Sand Lord.

Yeah... umm, like I said from the east at dawn. With the sun in your eyes is when we will strike.... from the east.  8)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.