Author Topic: There's an immortal in that NPC!  (Read 11442 times)

slipshod

There's an immortal in that NPC!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2003, 01:23:21 PM »
that was me right thar
forgot to log in

There's no need for any of you to respond defensively to things I'm not attacking.  I'd say I'm guilty of them, too, but I don't associate any guilt with it.  there's nothing wrong with idling or waiting for something to happen - I do it too.  There's nothing wrong with going out of your way to create RP, and I really appreciate when the staff does this.

But a soldier is a soldier.  A merchant is a merchant.  Should it matter if a player or a staffer is working the puppet strings?  If you kicked 14 PC beggars out of your way that morning, why stop and give money to the NPC one who approaches you?  Let him taste the b00t too.
basically, I'm just saying treat active NPCs like active PCs.  If it's an important person or someone with something interesting to say, give them your full attention.  If it's a dirty kid talking about finding something under his toenail, treat him like one.
“Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.”

-Aaron Burr

JollyGreenGiant

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2003, 04:19:39 PM »
There are times that it is appropriate to alter your "normal" reactions.  Let's say, for example, you're suddenly contacted by a bartender NPC who wants to know if you can come down and chat [insert clan name here] up to someone (likely a newbie).  Unless I'm in the middle of something really dire, you'd better believe I'm going down to help the newbie, even if it's a bit of a stretch for my character's personality.  Not because I'm trying to impress the staff, or feel obligated because they asked, but because once, someone dropped in out of the blue and really helped me out with my first character.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Stroker

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2003, 04:30:10 PM »
It's because when an imm animates an npc everyone expects something to happen, and they try to get involved in the happenings by paying closer attention to that npc. And of course because everyone realizes someone's watching them.  Personally, what pisses me off is the low number of communists on the gdb. No one supports me, at least no one that's not forced at gun point.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Bestatte

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2003, 04:38:52 PM »
A true communist never has to advertise. They just take over, and it's done.

The Dude

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2003, 05:27:34 PM »
Wow, this string sure exploded while I was asleep...

Saying that people should log out unless they are prepared to lead a minor RP event is absurd.

Playing your character, however uneventful as it may be, as opposed to being completely idle and, as I said, having your character sit there like a statue in a crowded tavern for IC hours or maybe even days is a far, FAR cry from leading a minor RP event. I really think you misunderstood me. I may have exaggerated what I had to say at the end there.

I don't want you to try and create your own RPT as your character sits there looking around bored in a tavern. I don't want you to do anything your character wouldn't do. But I'd like it a lot if everyone actually chose to play their characters while they were logged in. If that means glancing around every once in awhile, taking a look at something, scratching your ass, picking your nose or biting your nails, then hey, I'm totally down with it. As long as it's something every once in awhile and I can know with some certainty that I'm not wasting my time by being there.

I did like what Rindan said and agree.

The ideal, in my opinion, is to be someone who makes something happen

I'm not even saying I never play reactively, nor that all reactive roleplay is necessarily bad, but I for one try to make it that I never look like I'm idle in public. Idle may differ from reactive, but it really is in the same ballpark.

By just being alive you're adding something to the environment, and some petty, pointless emote every once in awhile should be a courtesy to the others around you. Who knows? It may indeed have the possibility to actually start something.
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...

Stroker

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2003, 08:21:41 PM »

Are you saying that I am a false communist? I will not stand for this! I challenge you to a duel of wits, tomorrow at sundown. Come to the Red Square in Moscow or be forced there at gun point, it's your choice.

Faglore

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2003, 07:59:01 PM »
Good emotes and rp are better then poor emotes and rp. ....whatver the fuck it takes I'm for it.

Some people just end up doing more with an immortal for the purpose of trying to get some rp, so what if they rp like welshman. At least its rp.
ere it comes..

Bestatte

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2003, 08:30:58 PM »
Quote from: "Dirr"

Are you saying that I am a false communist? I will not stand for this! I challenge you to a duel of wits, tomorrow at sundown. Come to the Red Square in Moscow or be forced there at gun point, it's your choice.

Sorry, I never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Stroker

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2003, 10:14:10 PM »
Sorry, I never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Damn you! You may have won the battle, but the war is not over.

Callisto

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2003, 10:30:46 PM »
Quote from: "Dirr"
Damn you! You may have won the battle, but the war is not over.

omg roofls commie n00b got 0wned hahahhhahahaha!!1!
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2003, 11:44:44 PM »
Haven't really been following this thread, but here goes...

Personally, I think it's great when people try to interact with other PCs, and I think it's even forgivable to break character a little to do it. What chaffs my nipples, so to speak, is when they blatantly and painfully break character to interact. Nicely dressed people politely asking to sit with a couple of shit-covered magicker halfbreeds doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're going to pull something like that, please try and think up an decent IC reason for it.

"Excuse me, the tavern is so terribly crowded today... Is anyone sitting here?" is a thousand times better than, "I'm bored, can I sit with you filthy half-breeds and listen in on your sup3r sel<rit convo?"

And on a side note, why do people contact you and speak to you over the Way in a tavern when they could just haul their ass up from the bar and introduce themselves? Espicially when they've never met you before? What's the deal with that?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Mekeda

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2003, 11:54:50 PM »
People way others because the listen skill is the providence of tavern lurkers and oftimes there are other pc's present that they don't want to hear that super discreet and sneaky type message.

Mekeda

Sadistic Spice - with kills to prove it

Faglore

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2003, 02:45:55 PM »
Quote from: "Bestatte"
[Sorry, I never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Before you get overly cocky, may I remind you your name is Beastatte. Now leave me alone so I can return to my cage and resume my erotic sponge bath.
ere it comes..

Mr Guest

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2003, 08:40:55 PM »
Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Starting conversations with characters you don't know is also fun, and can only happen if you are logged on and accessible.  But starting conversations with strangers is a tricky buisness ICly.
You don't need to talk to people to start conversations though. Yesterday I was in an inn with only one other person there who was throwing out the ass scratching emotes, but there wasn't really all that much for the other player to do. So every now and then they'd do a few things before idling. That happened for half an hour and I wanted to talk to them about something, but it wasn't IC for me to go up to them.

So I had a virtual stranger come to me and ask me about it (it was IC for the stranger to come up and ask me about it) and I said a few things to them but then sent the virtual stranger on their merry way (which was also IC to do). Then for the next 15mins the other player starts emoting out stuff before eventually coming to my char and talking to me. Next thing I know we're both entertained for the next 30mins :)

That's just one way to use the virtual environment to interact with other players. You also don't need to be an OOC follower, just because your an IC follower ;)

Flaming Ocotillo

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2003, 07:58:12 AM »
Quote from: "Cuttlefish"
Yeah, seriously.  I just don't understand why people don't talk to inanimate NPCs more often.  I had this great conversation with a human soldier the other day.  Granted, he never said anything back and walked out of the room in the middle of me telling him something, but it was a blast!

I hear you, man!

Years of NPC chat experience has taught me some good tricks of the trade. Here are some common problems and solutions:

Problem #1:
You are talking to an NPC, but then he just walks away! It's like he's not even paying attention.

Solution:
Make sure you always type _follow_ before starting up conversation. You never know when the NPC might get distracted, and then you have something extra to RP: walking beside him!

Problem #2:
Just when the conversation starts getting interesting, the NPC starts shouting and advertising his wares, or performing an action completely unrelated to what you were talking about.

Solution:
This can be an opportunity to RP some conflict between you and the NPC, or it can be a chance to change the subject. Next time you talk to this NPC, though, you might want to remember what he likes to do, because now you know what kinds of things he's going to really like talking about, and you can incorporate it into your RP. If he likes to shout about the price of shells, make sure to ask him about the price of shells the next time you meet. Chances are, he'll be more than happy to bring up the price of shells.

Problem #3:
You want to give something to an NPC, but he keeps politely refusing any of your offers. Even beggars are sometimes too charitable to take donations.

Solution:
Sometimes an NPC is just too stubborn to take a gift. Drop it on the floor, and walk away. Sometimes you don't even have to walk away. To avoid damaging their pride, they'll take something lying around instead of taking it from you. If that doesn't work, just give them coins instead; everyone loves coins.

That's my beginner's guide to having conversations with inanimate NPCs.

There's an intermediate's guide that covers attempting to RP with aggressive NPCs which I need to polish up, but I keep dying before I can get any creative input.

John

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2003, 08:13:32 AM »
You rule Flaming  :D

Mr.Camel

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2003, 04:22:37 PM »
I don't see why people expect me to RP with a NPC, I don't think there's a point to it.
I'm here to roleplay with others, if some PC isn't going to respond when I RP around them, I won't, the same for NPCs.

mansa

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2003, 04:30:09 PM »
I'm an NPC, Mr. Camel.  Why won't you role play with me?  I'm your boss, your friend, your father, your daughter.  Play with me!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

John

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2003, 05:03:53 PM »
Quote from: "Mr.Camel"
I don't see why people expect me to RP with a NPC, I don't think there's a point to it.
We expect you to RP 24/7. If your logged in your expected to RP. However I think you meant to say "I don't see why peopple expect me to emote and talk with a NPC" which while you don't HAVE to do (AFAIK), it does help make your character more fleshed out and make the game more realistic.