Author Topic: Dwarven focus abusers.  (Read 2638 times)

Dwarven focus abusers.
« on: October 23, 2002, 09:34:09 AM »
I'm just wondering, would everyone on Zalanthas know that dwarves have one very specific thing that drives them? I think they should know that dwarves are hard-headed, but not know everything you'd find under the help dwarf file.

I've been recruited before, and the sargeant - or whoever, immediatly asks: What are your goals.   But the way he said it, I knew he was just fishing for my objective. And its not like I could lie, because if I do that might jepordize me getting to the objective. Also, if I tell the truth thats getting a little personal for someone you just met. You can't just shrug it off either, because that could just screw you over.

marko

It's a private matter
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 12:28:25 PM »
A dwarf's focus is a private affair between the dwarf and his focus.

If someone asks about it, tell them that it is a private matter.  If they insist, become insulted.

Xanous

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 03:38:09 PM »
I don't think the average human would know about the dwarf focus.  But I do think that people who are familiar with dwarfs should be aware of it.  After all, the foucs is the single most important aspect of the dwarf personality, it would be silly for someone like a Byn Sergeant who has trained dozens of dwarfs in his life not to be aware (or not to have been trained to know) that dwarfs all have one big goal that drives them.  

Whether your dwarf answers the question is the whole different story.  It's probably a very rude question to ask, and  something the dwarf might or might not admit.  It's sort of like asking a human how much money he makes, or asking an elf about how much he steals, or asking a templar how many people he's killed.
h, the mysteries of the universe.  Try to understand them, but can you?  Nope! They're mysteries!

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 03:41:52 PM »
Its not a current dwarf, just one long ago. And thank you for that. :!:

Gorobei

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 06:05:11 PM »
Just because someone asks you that question doesn't mean they are asking what your focus is.  I've had plently of human characters that have had to answer that in a job interview in this game.

lukie

Tsk tsk tks. (The tks is on purpose.)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 06:14:08 PM »
They abuse anything these days, don't they? Next you're going to tell me we've got basket weaving abusers. (Please don't tell me that. I'd rather not know.) Maybe we have some people abusing thin, baobab sticks? Also, why can I find baobab sticks in an agafari grove?
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 06:17:20 PM »
As I said, that is what he meant that time.

..I thanked the people for their response. Why answer further?

-That is a rhetorical question, dont answer it either :!:

lukie

Uh... right.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2002, 06:18:44 PM »
As I said, that is what he meant that time.

What?  :shock:

Oh, I get it now.  :)
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2002, 06:20:46 PM »
Damn you people! I want the messages to NOT be orange. People keep adding pointless little things after a string is over. Stop!!

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2002, 06:24:26 PM »
You're not a happy fella are you Not Applicable?

Anyways, your adding to the already "closed" thread, which I don't believe is closed. Well, at least I still have something to say about it.

I think most humans would see dwarves as mostly just obbsessive compulsive. Like... a dwarf with a focus of collecting all the Beanie Babies may just seem to "like them a lot" when in actuality, all the time he's plotting the next move to get the Tek Beanie Baby.

I'd say it would have to depend on your character on how deeply they understand dwarves that way... easiest just to claim ignorance.

the halfling

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2002, 06:37:00 PM »
Quote from: "Xanous"

Whether your dwarf answers the question is the whole different story.  It's probably a very rude question to ask, and  something the dwarf might or might not admit.  It's sort of like asking a human how much money he makes, or asking an elf about how much he steals, or asking a templar how many people he's killed.

I like that alot, that's a great way of putting it.  And I do agree.

BUT
The you are a dwarf so you must have a focus.
or the you are an elf you are a thief in some way.
or you are a giant so you must be stupid.
or you are a halfling so you must want to eat me.
These "facts" are the benefit of playing a human.  You don't have an on going sterotype.. (well not to the degree as other races, since I had characters who made up some)

So though I do agree someone going around asking, What is your focus is rather silly.  I don't agree with you that it is bad RP for someone to try to find out what you are trying to do.. (that's a realistic thing to do about anyone dwarf or not)

I love city elfies, to me your coment is like me saying how an elf is to walk into the Gaj and get pointed out and called a thief, or get dragged away and questioned (not killed) by the Militia for being assumed a thief.  Even if I've never used the steal skill.
Or a giant player saying I'm mad OOC cause someone is trying to use me cause I'm stupid.

THE POINT
It's a rough life to play a non-human in a city ruled by humans.
Alot of that has to do with the face that non-human race roles are predefined, but this is what makes the challenge and fun of playing those races.
 don't eat everyone.

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2002, 04:02:26 AM »
An interesting question, I think would be...

Do dwarves even know they have a focus? Can a dwarf think... "I have a focus. My focus is <insert goal>."

Are they that aware of it? Or do they just sort of need a goal to strive for, to fulfill some genetic urge to be driven and single minded?

Marc

hrmm
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2002, 04:11:02 AM »
In the darksun books, the dwarves knew they had a focus.  Doesn't mean they do on Armag, but that might be a hint.
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Rindan

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2002, 07:32:54 AM »
I don't think it is unreasonable at all for humans to know that dwarves have a focus.  A focus is what defines a dwarf.  Any human that spends any amount of time around dwarves will quickly realize that all dwarves have some goal they are trying to achieve, and that they will try to achieve this goal at all costs.  I imagine that it is something that would be taught early on to children so that they know how to deal with dwarves.  Elves are thieves, dwarves all are intent on doing one thing.  They might not really have a strong idea of what it means, or understand the nitty gritty of it, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume that humans all reconize that dwarves all seem to have a singular goal that drives them.

Anonymous

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2002, 02:43:54 PM »
Quote from: "Rindan"
I don't think it is unreasonable at all for humans to know that dwarves have a focus.  A focus is what defines a dwarf.  Any human that spends any amount of time around dwarves will quickly realize that all dwarves have some goal they are trying to achieve, and that they will try to achieve this goal at all costs.  I imagine that it is something that would be taught early on to children so that they know how to deal with dwarves.  Elves are thieves, dwarves all are intent on doing one thing.  They might not really have a strong idea of what it means, or understand the nitty gritty of it, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume that humans all reconize that dwarves all seem to have a singular goal that drives them.

I think that they would just be viewed as 'stubborn'.

I think that a focus is something so innate to dwarven makeup that it would not be viewed
as a facet of dwarves.

Instead of fishing for what a dwarf's focus is, or what have you, the average non-dwarf
would just think of them as people who when they set their mind to something are hell
bent on that objective.

Saying 'what are your goals' seems cheesy to me.

crymerci

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2002, 03:23:58 PM »
Quote from: "ChristopherRobertWoods"

Saying 'what are your goals' seems cheesy to me.

If you're getting recruited, I think this is a reasonable question regardless of your race. I've had a character recruit people, or try to find a job for a friend, and usually this is a better question than "what can you do?"

For example, they might be able to do all sorts of merchant things but what their goal is, is to be a caravan driver. If you set them to crafting, they're not going to be very happy with their job.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Zacharai

Dwarven focus abusers.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2002, 09:46:28 PM »
Rindan posted, "Dwarves all are intent on doing one thing."  Basically, this is true.  Dwarves are a very intent race, but for those who think that it means "stubborn" or "stupidly singleminded," you're very wrong.

I played a recruiter for an organization quite some time ago, and was approached by a dwarf looking for a job.  Within a very short amount of time, it became VERY clear that this dwarf's focus was 'get the Allanaki militia out of the Scaien region.'  ICly, I sent him on his way, I wanted no part of it.  OOCly, I was thinking, "newbie."

A focus doesn't have to be obvious.  In the former example, just because your focus is bent on rebellion, you don't need to talk about it all the time or even mention it at all.  Sure, many of those would ally themselves with the old rebels up north, and make sneak attacks on templars and such.  But, there is no reason why you HAVE to do that.  If that was my focus, I'd probably recruit WITH the Allanaki militia.  Go up through the ranks, make quiet deals on the side with a very few higher-ranking rebels and those that can help you, and when the critical point arrives, suddenly you switch allegiance and drive the knife in (possibly bringing some friends with you).  The best assassins are bodyguards.

A military leader asking a potential recruit for 'goals' is fine, but don't ever feel hamstrung like you have to tell the truth.  If you think you can accomplish your real focus better by keeping it to yourself at the time, make something up, or talk about a sub-focus (you didn't think dwarves only could think about one thing at a time, did you?).  'My goal is to serve well so I can make money to support my sick mother down in the Commoner's Quarter.'  Good goal; realistic.  They don't need to know that your goal is to own your own lake, and to that end you plan on running away with the House's water supply.

Just, as a dwarf, don't forget your focus.  There is no reason why you can't act directly against it one time, so that you'll have opportunities to get even closer in the future.  It's just like one big game of chess (albeit with smaller-than-normal pieces).  Remember -- dwarves can be scheming bastards too.

--Zach